Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Model Specific Forums > Sunline Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 08-01-2011, 11:56 AM   #1

SUN #2664
Randy_the_Hack is an unknown quantity at this point
Tandem towing

Hey - new to the forum... and I have a question. I'm needing to tow a tag-along trailer behind my 1990 T-2470 bumper pull travel trailer. What do I have to do to ensure the bumper on the TT is strong enough? I've checked the legality of tandem towing in Kentucky and it's OK as long as total combined length doesn't exceed 70'.

Just trying to figure out what I need to do to make it happen. Any help, tips, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-01-2011, 01:23 PM   #2

SUN #64
MACK C-85 is an unknown quantity at this point
The bumper will NOT hold it, it is rated for less than 100lbs. You will need a frame mounted hitch and have to be careful that the weight added to the rear of the trailer doesn't create a too light tongue weight and cause sway issues.

There are several threads on here about adding a frame mount hitch.

Mack

2004 Dodge Ram 2500 Club Cab 4x4 CTD
2007 Sunline Solaris T-276-SR: Misty Blue/Cherry
2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Reg Cab 4x4 OFF-ROAD
MACK C-85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 03:19 PM   #3

SUN #2664
Randy_the_Hack is an unknown quantity at this point
Not challenging your response at all - after all, I joined this site to get some answers on this subject from people who are in the know - but is this documented somewhere? I've asked the same question in other locations and I've heard 500 lb limit to no limit to no weight at all... which makes me wonder why companies like Curt even make such products to facilitate such features, let alone where I can turn to find this information documented?

It sounds like this isn't something I should do. Guess I need to figure out something else...
Old 08-01-2011, 03:47 PM   #4

SUN #64
MACK C-85 is an unknown quantity at this point
On my Sunline the weight limit is posted on the back of my trailer.It's also mentioned in the manual. We've had several instances on the site of the spare breaking the welds.

As far as the tongue weight, it's a simple lever, any weight carried on the rear of the trailer will lever over the axles and lift the front of the trailer.

It can be done, but you have to be careful with the weight distribution.

Mack

2004 Dodge Ram 2500 Club Cab 4x4 CTD
2007 Sunline Solaris T-276-SR: Misty Blue/Cherry
2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Reg Cab 4x4 OFF-ROAD
MACK C-85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 03:49 PM   #5

SUN #264
Steve Collins is an unknown quantity at this point
IIRC, there was a tag on our bumper when we got the trailer that stated 100# weight limit. I spoke with the dealership about it and they confirmed it.

A close examination of the welds holding the mounting stubs to the bumper pretty much confirmed to me that weight limit. It was as much the absence of some welds that really stood out.

Good enough for me.

If you want to do this, have a receiver style hitch welded/bolted directly to the frame in at least two places and preferably four. By using a standard 2x2 receiver, you can then use things like bike racks, etc. that all fit in those receivers. Skip any connections to the bumper.

'12 F250 4x4 Super Duty PowerStroke 6.7 diesel
2011 to present: '11 Cougar 326MKS
1999 to 2011: '99 Sunline T-2453
SUN264 * Amateur Radio kd2iat monitoring 146.52
Steve Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 04:31 PM   #6

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
There have been some posts of bumpers falling off! Not a good thing while towing a trailer. Frame hitch is the way to go.
Old 08-01-2011, 07:14 PM   #7

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
I don't believe a 1990 would have a sticker saying that the bumpers are rated for 100 lbs, but I have no reason to believe that the rating would be any different from the later units that had stickers. Sunline seemed to make these bumpers weak to discourage people from putting a lot of weight on them. Adding a few bikes back there and who knows what else can drastically change the weight balance of the trailer and make it much more miserable to tow.

While a number of states do permit tandem towing of a bumper pull trailer behind a fifth wheel, very few states permit tandem bumper pull towing. So this really hasn't come up in the past. The only reason most people have mounted a hitch back there is to put a hitch mount bike rack on that they can also use with the tow vehicle.

Some RV dealers do have a kit available that includes a hitch tube and bumper mount bolts. This should not be used for a trailer at all, and really not on a Sunline even for bike racks. On that same note, many dealers also have kits for complete weld-on hitches for trailers. The frame is just much wider than a vehicle hitch and has no specific brackets. You may want to look into that unless you know a local hitch shop that can rig something up. It would weld on to the bottom of the frame rails and would be below your bumper, so it wouldn't have to move. I suppose if they want to add a brace between the bumper and hitch, that would be fine, but the majority of the weight should be carried by the welds between the hitch and frame rails.
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:10 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #897
EMD_Driver is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to EMD_Driver Send a message via Yahoo to EMD_Driver
Hey Randy... Welcome to the club!

From what I read above, it sounds like you might be confusing the weight capacity of the bumper with the weight capacity of a frame mounted hitch.

The bumper itself can barely hold a spare tire. A frame mounted hitch would be good for it's rated capacities.

As stated above, ANY weight on the frame mounted hitch will reduce the tongue weight of the trailer. You must be sure to maintain 10-15% of the travel trailer's weight on the hitch of the truck. If not, your rig would be an accident waiting to happen.

2007 Peterson Excel Limited 30RKE
2014 Ford F350XLT SRW Crew Cab, Long bed 6.7PSD

EMD_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote