Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Model Specific Forums > Sunline Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 10-22-2007, 09:01 AM   #1

SUN #444
JohnIL
System Monitor Questions

Hey Gang,
I'm trying to learn how the systems work in our '86 2461. It came with now manuals, so I'm lost. Here is a really bad picture of the systems monitor, but if you have one, I'm sure you'll recognize it:

Here's a brief description:
There are two meters at the top. The left measures battery charge and the right measures holding tank level. There is a rocker switch at the lower left. If you press the switch to the left, it has a momentary position labeled "Read". If you press the switch to the right, it turns the water pump on. To the right of the switch, there are four lights labeled something like "Battery", "Water", "Hold 1", and "Hold 2". When the camper is hooked up to shore power, the Battery light is lit and the rest are dark. If I press the switch to the momentary Read position, the battery charge meter shows full charge, since the inverter is powered up. How does the rest of the monitor work? I don't there is any water in the fresh water tank, so I don't expect to see a reading on the holding tank meter. But, it doesn't even twitch. And, what are all of the lights for? What do the lights tell you?

I need all the help I can get. Thanks.

John

1986 Sunline Classic Satellite T2461
1970 Shasta LoFlyte (For Sale)
2003 GMC Sierra 1500 2wd 5.3L Std. Cab 8ft. Bed
JohnIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 12:11 PM   #2

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
John,

I didn't have one of these in my 1550, so I don't have any experience with one this old. I did find a pic in my collection of the monitor from a FW. It should be the same panel, but I can't read all the labels:

Based on what I could read and what you said in your post, I've put in new labels. The only thing I can't see is the little light/button between the meters:

My best guess to get the other readings to work is see if the Holding tank lights in the bottom right corner are buttons also. While holding the test button, try to press one of them (holding tank 1 or 2). I'm guessing the light will come on and the meter will light up and read for that tank.

Jon

2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 03:10 PM   #3

SUN #98
PTHutch is an unknown quantity at this point
John,

An idea / suggestion. If the lights are not also buttons, like Jon suggested, check the black and gray tanks under the trailer to see how many wires / sensors there are connected to the tanks. If there are only one on each tank, the lights on the panel could be just full indicators. That may be the only monitor/indicator for the tanks.
It’s just a guess.

Hutch
Sunlines: 2005 Solaris T-280SR; 1999 Solaris T-2670; 1998 Saturn T-24A
PTHutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 06:52 AM   #4

SUN #444
JohnIL
I didn't get much time to play with things last night because of wind a rain. But, I did find out that the lights are not buttons. When I get a chance, I'll check the number of sensors on each tank. Keep the suggestions coming. Thanks.

John

1986 Sunline Classic Satellite T2461
1970 Shasta LoFlyte (For Sale)
2003 GMC Sierra 1500 2wd 5.3L Std. Cab 8ft. Bed
JohnIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 07:29 PM   #5

SUN #1065
sturbill
question

I know this is an old post, but I was wondering how do those of you with T-1550s tell how full your holding tanks are without sensors? Is there some kind of rule of thumb?

1988 Sunline Saturn T-1550
2004 Chevy Colorado Z71
sturbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 07:50 PM   #6

SUN #292
Honda03842 is an unknown quantity at this point
I typically dump every three days. As to determining the level, the toilet's easy, you can tell how full it is by lookin into the toilet when you flush. We once found we could make 6-7 days but generally dump every three days.

As to the grey tank theirs no easy way to determine the level. I have over filled it and it comes up in the shower. No problem if you're paying attention other than the odor, though I admit it encourages a quick dump as one's wife looks at you with a little roll of the eye.

What I have found is the statement 'when did you dump last' seems to be an adequate reminder. In 9 years of 7 months a year RVing I've only overfilled the grey tank twice and the tank on the motor home ihas 50 gallon capacity.

Another axiom is no matter how big the tank is, it does need to be dumped.

Lastly I have yet to see a tank sensor that works as advertised.
Honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 11:10 PM   #7

SUN #1065
sturbill
Thanks for the reply.
I'm sorry you had to answer that question once again.
I saw (after making my way through all 7 pages of posts) that this was a common topic/concern, so I appreciate the post.

1988 Sunline Saturn T-1550
2004 Chevy Colorado Z71
sturbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 08:11 PM   #8

SUN #1133
lilsuzi is an unknown quantity at this point
sunline t1700 1992 travel trailer water lever indicator

hello everyone! we just purchased a t1700 sunline 18 foot travel trailer, cannot find the holding tank water lever indicator panel anywhere, any idea where this may be, not sure how full any of the tanks are thanks.
Old 06-13-2010, 10:54 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #897
EMD_Driver is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to EMD_Driver Send a message via Yahoo to EMD_Driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilsuzi View Post
hello everyone! we just purchased a t1700 sunline 18 foot travel trailer, cannot find the holding tank water lever indicator panel anywhere, any idea where this may be, not sure how full any of the tanks are thanks.

There's a very good chance, that you have no sensors in your tanks. We have a 17 & 1/2 SB that has no sensors. You can buy the kits, if you want to install them yourself. As stated earlier in this thread, they are rarely ever accurate. It's just a good idea to dump every couple of days, just to be safe. Kitty and I can go for three days, before needing to dump.. That is, when we don't have full hookups!

We're still at the Buttonwood M&G and have been here since Thursday (2.5 days) and I just hooked up the sewer hose this morning....

2007 Peterson Excel Limited 30RKE
2014 Ford F350XLT SRW Crew Cab, Long bed 6.7PSD

EMD_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 11:20 AM   #10

SUN #1133
okay thanks! we havent even takin our camper out yet, had it a week, appears someone had tested the toilet before we picked it up, was bought off ebay at a local dealer as is, is perfect but i was concerned as to if it had been emptied at all before we used it n didnt want to have any probs. Are there any free dumping stations we could take to that you know of??
Old 06-13-2010, 11:25 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #897
EMD_Driver is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to EMD_Driver Send a message via Yahoo to EMD_Driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilsuzi View Post
okay thanks! we havent even takin our camper out yet, had it a week, appears someone had tested the toilet before we picked it up, was bought off ebay at a local dealer as is, is perfect but i was concerned as to if it had been emptied at all before we used it n didnt want to have any probs. Are there any free dumping stations we could take to that you know of??

Flying J used to allow free dumping, but just started charging for it. The cost is $10, but buying fuel can cut that in half.

If the toilet was used and there is not enough water in the black tank, you can add some water and put a bag or two of ice down the toilet. As you drive to the dump station, the ice will serve to help break up the solids in the tank.

2007 Peterson Excel Limited 30RKE
2014 Ford F350XLT SRW Crew Cab, Long bed 6.7PSD

EMD_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 12:37 PM   #12

SUN #292
Here's a site that helps find dump stations. Some states have them at rest areas. Welcome | rvdumps.com I have never paid to dump in 10 years of camping.

I always dump before I leave a campground, however I have tapped into my sewer line at home and can dump here.

Sometimes we park at our son's home when visiting in Seattle and we use the Sewer Solution (site below) to dump into the drain for his washing machine. It works just as advertised and will let any one dump that has a washing machine drain or access to a sewer line.

(It's certainly better if the washer drain is in the cellar. If it's not it's very easy to break into a cellar sewer line. Make sure when you put the hose in the drain that you make sure it's truly captured or held in place.)

I simply add an old garden hose to the end of the Sewer Solution (I purchase an adapter for a garden hose at Lowes) and can really go a long distance.

Sewer Solution

It works.
Old 06-13-2010, 12:57 PM   #13

SUN #292
I should have mentioned that one of our son's is a newbie camper and returned home with a full tank so we gave him our Sewer Solution.

It's a long run, probably 75 feet to his drain, and he used a garden hose extension without a problem, I assume a 3/4" hose.

His only problem was not securely putting back the washer's drain hose. OOPS!
Old 06-13-2010, 10:56 PM   #14

SUN #1133
Thanks everyone for the replies, i am learning alot today! I'm sure once we take the trailer out n use it for the first time , it will be second nature!