Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Model Specific Forums > Sunline Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 10-23-2007, 08:44 PM   #1

SUN #313
msully8548
Stripeing

Anybody have any good ideas for removing old peeling stripeing off the side of a trailer? I've tried scraping and a wire brush with not much luck. Also any idea where to find original Sunline replacement stripeing?

Thanks

Old 10-23-2007, 10:37 PM   #2

SUN #264
Steve Collins is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Stripeing

Quote:
Originally Posted by msully8548
Anybody have any good ideas for removing old peeling stripeing off the side of a trailer? I've tried scraping and a wire brush with not much luck. Also any idea where to find original Sunline replacement stripeing?

Thanks
That striping is basically vinyl sheeting or tape. Gently warm it with a hair dryer and it should easily peel off.

I would not use any tools to do this to preserve the finish on the trailer. Your thumbnail should be more than adequate to start peeling once the tape is softened.

A little mineral spirits on a soft cloth should remove any left over adhesive.

I don't think there's much stock left around on the striping tapes, especially the older colors. I would suggest taking samples of the peeled off striping to a shop that does truck lettering and see what they suggest. There are several shops around here that specialize in vinyl lettering and graphics that would be up to the task of replacing your striping.

Oh yeah, it would be a good idea to have a bunch of pictures of your trailer before you remove the striping.

'12 F250 4x4 Super Duty PowerStroke 6.7 diesel
2011 to present: '11 Cougar 326MKS
1999 to 2011: '99 Sunline T-2453
SUN264 * Amateur Radio kd2iat monitoring 146.52
Steve Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 07:58 AM   #3

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Stripeing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Collins
That striping is basically vinyl sheeting or tape. Gently warm it with a hair dryer and it should easily peel off.

I would not use any tools to do this to preserve the finish on the trailer. Your thumbnail should be more than adequate to start peeling once the tape is softened.

A little mineral spirits on a soft cloth should remove any left over adhesive.

I don't think there's much stock left around on the striping tapes, especially the older colors. I would suggest taking samples of the peeled off striping to a shop that does truck lettering and see what they suggest. There are several shops around here that specialize in vinyl lettering and graphics that would be up to the task of replacing your striping.

Oh yeah, it would be a good idea to have a bunch of pictures of your trailer before you remove the striping.
Ditto here. Steve, you hit the nail on the head. The only thing I'll add is you could try a heat lamp instead of a hair dryer. Just don't let the lamp stay on it for a long time...just enough to soften it.

To the best of my knowledge, Sunline had none of that striping left, cause if they did, I would probably have some. If they did have some I didn't know about, it is probably gone forever. No one has yet to find a true source of stuff from the auction.

Jon
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 06:11 AM   #4

SUN #379
2beagles
I've found that an easy and low impact method is to use a wallpaper steamer. The steam softens the vinyl and doesn't affect the finish at all.
I've taken the lettering off of a few trucks using this method.

Chris