Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Model Specific Forums > Sunline Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 09-23-2010, 08:30 PM   #1
Ray

SUN #1527
Ray is an unknown quantity at this point
Stove Question

Hi Agn, I ran my stove today. All 4 burners seem to work fine.
I lit the pilot in the oven, waited a couple mins, then turned the temp to
350, it lit briefly and then went out. I tried several times with same results.
I then sat the oven temp to broil, the burner lit from the pilot and stayed on but with a vry low flame.
The oven looks totally unused.
Any ideas please??
Thanks,
Ray

Old 09-24-2010, 07:07 AM   #2

SUN #264
Steve Collins is an unknown quantity at this point
Ray,

The thermocouple needs to heat up sufficiently before the pilot will stay lit. I use one of those long butane lighters and hold the flame right on the thermocouple for 15-20 seconds after the pilot lights.

Once the pilot lights, I turn the oven on to make sure it will light up, too. That also insures that the pilot will stay lit while everything warms up.

Now, if you do all that and the pilot is still going out, you can do several things. First, clean everything. Even if it hasn't been used much, there could be a buildup of soot or dust or cob webs that is partially blocking the port on the pilot.

Second, make sure the thermocouple is located so that the tip of the pilot flame is just touching it and straight above it. The tip of a gas flame is the hottest and you want to make sure that it is positioned to best hit the thermocouple.

It is possible that the thermocouple is bad, even if it hasn't had much use. It is not difficult to replace one if it comes to that.

Ray, would you do us a favor and go to the User CP (Control Panel) and edit your signature to include year and model of your trailer? The User CP button is on the left in the white bar near the top of the screen. With hundreds of users here, it's not easy to remember what kind of trailer you have. Having that info in your signature solves that. Also, some info about your tow vehicle is very helpful.

Also, in the User CP is a button to Edit Your Details. If you fill in the location box, that will show on each of your posts and that is very helpful, too.

Let us know how it goes with the stove.

'12 F250 4x4 Super Duty PowerStroke 6.7 diesel
2011 to present: '11 Cougar 326MKS
1999 to 2011: '99 Sunline T-2453
SUN264 * Amateur Radio kd2iat monitoring 146.52
Steve Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 09:31 AM   #3

SUN #987
awellis3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray View Post
I lit the pilot in the oven, waited a couple mins, then turned the temp to 350, it lit briefly and then went out. I tried several times with same results.
I then set the oven temp to broil, the burner lit from the pilot and stayed on but with a very low flame.
Ray, sounds like a low gas flow to main burner rather than a pilot issue. Takes Steve's advice and make sure the gas jet and and burner tube aren't obstructed. I'd put money on a restricted jet.

Teach
"Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows."
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 01:40 PM   #4
Ray

SUN #1527
Ray is an unknown quantity at this point
OK, here is where I'm at so far.
It would appear that there are two thermocouples in the oven. One is up from the bottom abt centered in the oven space. The other is a mini-thermocouple vry close to the pilot.
I've cleaned both with fine emery cloth, cleaned the jet.

I'm still getting the same results. I light the pilot, wait a few, turn the oven to 3-350
wait, nothing, but the pilot does get somewhat more brighter (tad more gas flow) to the pilot. Oven does not light. Turn oven control to "B" broil and it lights somewhat high, warms to abt 140-160 (guess) and all goes out.
I can't imagine finding a replacement stove that would fit in, don't want to go that route anyway.
I really want an oven, I use em.
Think I'll calm my nerves & go get a cup of coffee.
Later,
Ray
'07 Ram Quad, Hemi, 20" GoodYears, 3:92axle
'08 Kawasaki Brute Force 750
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 08:42 PM   #5

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi Ray

On your oven, you "might" be able to buy parts. Can you find a brand, model and serial number? There are online parts diagrams and part numbers and places that sell the parts. Providing they still make them. I have been able to find everything on line just about for most all appliances.

We can help you look it up and see what it is you have. It may be the jet clogged or the gas valve not working. Until I see what you have, I don't want to speculate much more.

The top burners, does high work well? Like hi is suppose to? Trying to figure out if your gas regulator is even passing 10" water of LP

Hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote