Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Model Specific Forums > Sunline Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2014, 07:23 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
apackoftwo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 725
SUN #1546
apackoftwo is an unknown quantity at this point
Storage Solutions and Stud Finder?

I am trying to organize my T-1950 to live in as I get ready to full time travel.

I want to organize it differently to live in than I did to vacation and I have a couple of questions.

First off, I would like to install a shelf in the cabinets over the bed. I would ideally like to add one moveable shelf per door opening. However, even though I have a stud finder I am not sure I am reading it correctly and I can't make heads or tails of the stud file I downloaded from here. Just need to know how far a part the studs are on the back wall so I know if I could do two separate shelves or if I have to do one long shelf all the way across the back of the cabinets

PDF Stud File below.

Second storage solution question is about the small quite useless shelf in the kitchen oveheadr cabinet. I say useless becasue it is so small and its so far back I have to use a small step ladder to reach it!

I was looking at it and wondered if it could be removed? The side of it is screwed in and could be a support for I don't know what it could be?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4238.jpg (71.1 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4239.jpg (54.8 KB, 4 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 1950studsback-2.pdf (49.2 KB, 10 views)
__________________

__________________

Joan & Miss Emme Lu Who
Full Timing in T-1950 2005 Anniversary Model
1997 6.5L Chevy Turbo Diesel Truck
"Pure Michigan"
Facebook: Apackof2 for the Rd
apackoftwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 09:30 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
apackoftwo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 725
SUN #1546
apackoftwo is an unknown quantity at this point
Well I figured out that that stud locations files make sense AFTER they are downloaded!

I have three studs to work with, the two outside wall studs and one about 13-14 inches from the outside wall stud on the left hand side (if yoiu are facing the bed)

Sooo that one solved

However, I still am wondering about taking down the small shelf inside the kitchen overhead cabinet?
__________________

__________________

Joan & Miss Emme Lu Who
Full Timing in T-1950 2005 Anniversary Model
1997 6.5L Chevy Turbo Diesel Truck
"Pure Michigan"
Facebook: Apackof2 for the Rd
apackoftwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 10:32 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Janalee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 905
SUN #246
Janalee
Joan..I use white wire shelves in the cabinets over my bed..they have legs,..some are folding legs which makes it easier to wiggle them into the openings. They come in many sizes and are found in any of the big stores..got mine at yard sales. As for the small shelf, I am afraid removing it will not be easy..opt instead to enlarge it somehow or live with it. These things in Sunlines are all screwed in from the outside-in..usually can't get to those screws w/o damaging your walls. JANALEE
__________________
1981 Sunline1350
'86 & '87 Sunline1661
'85 2100& '87 2262 Sunlines
'96 2553 & '95 1950 Sunlines
'95 and '98 Solaris 2653's
2002 Solaris T-2363
Janalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 10:43 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
apackoftwo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 725
SUN #1546
apackoftwo is an unknown quantity at this point
I was looking at wire shelves too. I use some in my kitchen overhead cabinet but the legs do not fold. I also love those wire drawers but they require mounting and the studs location won't work.

I will probably use those as I wanted to have adjustable shelves.

I am using the space for clothes only. Storage under the bed for extra blankets, towels etc Things I won't access as much as clothing.

Using both clothes cabinets for hanging clothes. You know us girls want to have all our clothes! Especially full timing as I will be bringing a few church/social dressier clothes, a few cooler weather items along with mostly summer clothes as I intend to mostly follow the sun

Thanks Janalee



Quote:
Originally Posted by Janalee View Post
Joan..I use white wire shelves in the cabinets over my bed..they have legs,..some are folding legs which makes it easier to wiggle them into the openings. They come in many sizes and are found in any of the big stores..got mine at yard sales.
__________________

Joan & Miss Emme Lu Who
Full Timing in T-1950 2005 Anniversary Model
1997 6.5L Chevy Turbo Diesel Truck
"Pure Michigan"
Facebook: Apackof2 for the Rd
apackoftwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 09:53 PM   #5
Moderator
 
JohnB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Ohio
Posts: 10,177
SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Joan,

I made shelves to go in the cabinet over our bed. Don't know if this helps in your case, but may spur some thoughts. I actually did a thread on this a few years ago, but I can't find it. Here are some pics from it. If this looks like it might work, I have more pic of the process.

Our over bed cabinets started like this. 2 doors and one mega hole inside. Everything was jumbled up and it always seemed you wanted what was on the bottom...


Others (Kitty gave me the idea) to make the center panel a door, I did and added the shelf too. So much better to get in and out and better organization. Some pics of the outcome












I also did a shelf in the bath area, same thing of large wasted space.






Hope this helps spur and idea or two.

John
__________________
Current Sunlines: 2004 T310SR, 2004 T1950, 2004 T2475, 2007 T2499, 2004 T317SR
Prior Sunlines: 2004 T2499 - Fern Blue
2005 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.8L V10 W/ 4.10 rear axle, CC, Short Bed, SRW. Reese HP trunnion bar hitch W/ HP DC

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 05:57 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Poppy & Nana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York
Posts: 2,907
SUN #93
Poppy & Nana is an unknown quantity at this point
Joan,

On my current TH - my kitchen drawers are very deep (maybe 8 inches) I had DH cur 4 pieces of 1 x 1 and glued them in the corners of the drawer - then cut a thin piece of plywood to place in the drawer, he put one center finger hole in it so I can lift it out wasly, it doubled the drawer space - now I have silverware that I can find and all my soup laddles, spatulas, etc - are seperate between two seperate sections.....
__________________
Kathy & Leo SUN 093
Central Adirondacks of New York
2013 Rubicon 2900 Toy Hauler
We loved our 2007 T-2499
2010 Ford F-350 4x4 Lariat Super Crew Dually Diesel
Poppy & Nana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 07:53 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
apackoftwo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 725
SUN #1546
apackoftwo is an unknown quantity at this point
Well I think this answers my question about the studs in the bedroom overheads!

In the pdf of the stud location of a T-1950 it shows only 3 studs. One on each end and one about 13 1/4 inches from the door side. So I thought I had to use only those but when looking at the little shelf in the kitchen over head I saw they did the same thing you did here John in your bedroom. You built the framing of the shelf and attached to the back of the camper to some studs but not all and to the middle divider.

Apparently the frame is strong enough to hold the shelf and contents without having to anchor it in all studs? Is this correct? See attachment

I will be using the shelf for clothing like you

My thought when working on this was, why not just have one big door? Same thing with the kitchen. I could have 5 more inches of open space??

BTW excellent job on the shelving!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
Joan,

I made shelves to go in the cabinet over our bed. Don't know if this helps in your case, but may spur some thoughts. I actually did a thread on this a few years ago, but I can't find it. Here are some pics from it. If this looks like it might work, I have more pic of the process.

Our over bed cabinets started like this. 2 doors and one mega hole inside. Everything was jumbled up and it always seemed you wanted what was on the bottom...


Others (Kitty gave me the idea) to make the center panel a door, I did and added the shelf too. So much better to get in and out and better organization. Some pics of the outcome












I also did a shelf in the bath area, same thing of large wasted space.






Hope this helps spur and idea or two.

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bedroom Shelf Question.jpg (145.2 KB, 8 views)
__________________

Joan & Miss Emme Lu Who
Full Timing in T-1950 2005 Anniversary Model
1997 6.5L Chevy Turbo Diesel Truck
"Pure Michigan"
Facebook: Apackof2 for the Rd
apackoftwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 07:55 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
apackoftwo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 725
SUN #1546
apackoftwo is an unknown quantity at this point
Very cool idea! My silverware is not so deep but deep enough for silverware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy & Nana View Post
Joan,

On my current TH - my kitchen drawers are very deep (maybe 8 inches) I had DH cur 4 pieces of 1 x 1 and glued them in the corners of the drawer - then cut a thin piece of plywood to place in the drawer, he put one center finger hole in it so I can lift it out wasly, it doubled the drawer space - now I have silverware that I can find and all my soup laddles, spatulas, etc - are seperate between two seperate sections.....
__________________

Joan & Miss Emme Lu Who
Full Timing in T-1950 2005 Anniversary Model
1997 6.5L Chevy Turbo Diesel Truck
"Pure Michigan"
Facebook: Apackof2 for the Rd
apackoftwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 09:05 PM   #9
Moderator
 
JohnB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Ohio
Posts: 10,177
SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Joan,

To your question,



YES, there is a stud in that location. I added the 3/4" x 1" tall strip down the entire width of the camper. I knew there was good solid attaching on the ends as there was good framing there. This 1" high strip takes the weight on the wall side. Then the center stiles have another 3/4" x 3/4" strip and the shelf lays on top, screwed to it.

The veneer board shelves, 1/4" thick are screwed to both strips. I order to get them in there... that was a challenge, I cut them in 3 sections. The used a piece of 3/4" x 2" wide strip to join them so they do not sag at that joint. You can see strip in the pic.

This setup can hold 50# of clothes and stuff no problem. It will do 100# too but I have enough tongue weight on the camper now. My bed room is up front.

Being able to organize better is such an improvement.

Good luck with yours

John
__________________
Current Sunlines: 2004 T310SR, 2004 T1950, 2004 T2475, 2007 T2499, 2004 T317SR
Prior Sunlines: 2004 T2499 - Fern Blue
2005 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.8L V10 W/ 4.10 rear axle, CC, Short Bed, SRW. Reese HP trunnion bar hitch W/ HP DC

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 09:57 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
apackoftwo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 725
SUN #1546
apackoftwo is an unknown quantity at this point
"I added the 3/4" x 1" tall strip down the entire width of the camper. I knew there was good solid attaching on the ends as there was good framing there"

Ok then it should work for me to do it this way as there is studs at the end and then a stud 13 1/4 " I can can attach to.

This wonderful, thanks!!
I was really getting frustrated with coming up with something workable to add the much needed shelf

You are so right, being able to organize better is a HUGE improvement!!

I will post pics when done!



Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
Joan,

To your question,



YES, there is a stud in that location. I added the 3/4" x 1" tall strip down the entire width of the camper. I knew there was good solid attaching on the ends as there was good framing there. This 1" high strip takes the weight on the wall side. Then the center stiles have another 3/4" x 3/4" strip and the shelf lays on top, screwed to it.

The veneer board shelves, 1/4" thick are screwed to both strips. I order to get them in there... that was a challenge, I cut them in 3 sections. The used a piece of 3/4" x 2" wide strip to join them so they do not sag at that joint. You can see strip in the pic.

This setup can hold 50# of clothes and stuff no problem. It will do 100# too but I have enough tongue weight on the camper now. My bed room is up front.

Being able to organize better is such an improvement.

Good luck with yours

John
__________________

Joan & Miss Emme Lu Who
Full Timing in T-1950 2005 Anniversary Model
1997 6.5L Chevy Turbo Diesel Truck
"Pure Michigan"
Facebook: Apackof2 for the Rd
apackoftwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 10:07 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Wannabes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 738
SUN #4050
Wannabes is an unknown quantity at this point
Joan,

We put wire shelving in our wardrobe closets last summer. The box store (Lowes) cut the shelving to the exact width of the closet, we put plastic caps on the cut ends, and then Matthew used c-clips and 8x1/2 screws to attach the shelving to studs in the closet walls. In one closet, however, he was not able to get the screws in studs and didn't want to have them penetrate all the way through the closet walls. We tried anchoring the c-clips with dual-sided tape but that only worked for a little while. We're going to try 3M Dual-Lock to anchor the c-clips in that closet and see what happens. You can't really see if from the pixs but we put the wire shelving in upside-down so that the edge is a lip to prevent clothes from falling out.

When you do your shelving, be sure to post pixs so we can see what you did.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg -1.jpg (5.0 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg -2.jpg (4.4 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg -3.jpg (3.2 KB, 91 views)
__________________

Matthew and Lisa
TT: '02 T-2363;
TV: 2012 Ford F-150, 4x4/Off-road, 5.0L V8, "Big Gray"
Reese Straitline w/ dual cam
Wannabes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 09:34 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
apackoftwo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 725
SUN #1546
apackoftwo is an unknown quantity at this point
I was in Lowes yesterday talking with an employee about wire shelving and he never mentioned they would cut it for me

What you did is exactly what I would do, have a lip. The two hanging closets I have decided I need for hanging clothes and the back overhead cabinets for the rest. Extras and stuff I do not use as much will go under the bed.

I am blessed to have found an excellent handyman (my niece introduced us) and I spoke with him today about building shelving like John's. He will also re-do a shelve in the overhead by the couch as we discovered the current shelf was really jerri-rigged with PVC pipe and hot glue

After he left, then I thought about a project I wanted to do last year, making a drawer on tracks for most accessed under the bed stuff. A hole would need to be cut to fit the drawer but I have enough room to pull a drawer out. (See attachment )THAT would be so much easier than having to pull up the bed every time. For in the T-1950 the bed is tight and I have to make sure the blinds on the escape window are up or else they get crunched. And I had bedroom curtains made and will take down the cornices so the curtains will need to be pushed aside too. :-O

I will definitely post pictures




Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabes View Post
Joan,

We put wire shelving in our wardrobe closets last summer. The box store (Lowes) cut the shelving to the exact width of the closet, we put plastic caps on the cut ends, and then Matthew used c-clips and 8x1/2 screws to attach the shelving to studs in the closet walls. In one closet, however, he was not able to get the screws in studs and didn't want to have them penetrate all the way through the closet walls. We tried anchoring the c-clips with dual-sided tape but that only worked for a little while. We're going to try 3M Dual-Lock to anchor the c-clips in that closet and see what happens. You can't really see if from the pixs but we put the wire shelving in upside-down so that the edge is a lip to prevent clothes from falling out.

When you do your shelving, be sure to post pixs so we can see what you did.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Under the bed drawer?.jpg (86.6 KB, 10 views)
__________________

Joan & Miss Emme Lu Who
Full Timing in T-1950 2005 Anniversary Model
1997 6.5L Chevy Turbo Diesel Truck
"Pure Michigan"
Facebook: Apackof2 for the Rd
apackoftwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 04:36 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Poppy & Nana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York
Posts: 2,907
SUN #93
Poppy & Nana is an unknown quantity at this point
Joan - I did a drawer at the end of the bed on our 2499 - pics are posted on here somewhere....if you can't find them I might be able to look and see what I can find on Wednesday.

I work Bingo at the fire hall tonight and work tomorrow night = so it would be Wednesday at the earliest....we leave on vaca on Friday - so I'm one very busy lasy this week.....
__________________
Kathy & Leo SUN 093
Central Adirondacks of New York
2013 Rubicon 2900 Toy Hauler
We loved our 2007 T-2499
2010 Ford F-350 4x4 Lariat Super Crew Dually Diesel
Poppy & Nana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 09:01 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
apackoftwo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 725
SUN #1546
apackoftwo is an unknown quantity at this point
Oh thank you! No problem I will nose around and see what I can find

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy & Nana View Post
Joan - I did a drawer at the end of the bed on our 2499 - pics are posted on here somewhere....if you can't find them I might be able to look and see what I can find on Wednesday.

I work Bingo at the fire hall tonight and work tomorrow night = so it would be Wednesday at the earliest....we leave on vaca on Friday - so I'm one very busy lasy this week.....
__________________

Joan & Miss Emme Lu Who
Full Timing in T-1950 2005 Anniversary Model
1997 6.5L Chevy Turbo Diesel Truck
"Pure Michigan"
Facebook: Apackof2 for the Rd
apackoftwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 10:33 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Poppy & Nana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York
Posts: 2,907
SUN #93
Poppy & Nana is an unknown quantity at this point
Joan - here is the picture....

I had to watch the width - it needed to fit in between the two drawers on either side of the bed

Kathy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg New drawer under the bed may be used as a hamper!.jpg (57.2 KB, 6 views)
__________________
Kathy & Leo SUN 093
Central Adirondacks of New York
2013 Rubicon 2900 Toy Hauler
We loved our 2007 T-2499
2010 Ford F-350 4x4 Lariat Super Crew Dually Diesel
Poppy & Nana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 10:45 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
apackoftwo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 725
SUN #1546
apackoftwo is an unknown quantity at this point
Question

Nice! where did you get the drawer front? The drawer is on slides I assume?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy & Nana View Post
Joan - here is the picture....

I had to watch the width - it needed to fit in between the two drawers on either side of the bed

Kathy
__________________

Joan & Miss Emme Lu Who
Full Timing in T-1950 2005 Anniversary Model
1997 6.5L Chevy Turbo Diesel Truck
"Pure Michigan"
Facebook: Apackof2 for the Rd
apackoftwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 09:46 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
Poppy & Nana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York
Posts: 2,907
SUN #93
Poppy & Nana is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by apackoftwo View Post
Nice! where did you get the drawer front? The drawer is on slides I assume?
I had my local woodworking shop make the drawer front and yet it was on slides....

Sorry for the late post - just back from vacation and still trying to catch up on "things"!
__________________

__________________
Kathy & Leo SUN 093
Central Adirondacks of New York
2013 Rubicon 2900 Toy Hauler
We loved our 2007 T-2499
2010 Ford F-350 4x4 Lariat Super Crew Dually Diesel
Poppy & Nana is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
back studs, bedroom cabinet, kitchen cabinet, storage


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cleaning solutions Hematite Sunline Community 21 04-20-2010 05:20 AM
rear wall stud locations on 264SR? Charlsve Modifications 7 03-31-2008 04:25 PM
Wall Stud Location - 2553 precorguy Sunline Travel Trailers 1 11-02-2007 11:14 AM
Rubber roof and stud locations wcoleman Sunline Community 2 06-07-2007 02:03 PM
PDF prints of stud locations of T1950 TT Poppy & Nana Sunline Community 2 03-07-2007 08:09 AM


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Sunline RV or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:33 AM.


×