Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Model Specific Forums > Sunline Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 06-01-2016, 09:28 AM   #1

SUN #8438
freedomboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Starting Furnace for Heat/Hot Water

Hello!

I'm new here and also a new traveler trailer owner.

I own a very nice 96 Sunline Solaris T-2053 model.

I'm getting it ready for a trip and have everything working
besides understanding how to ignite the furnace. I don't smell
propane when turning on or to pilot, and it won't light. I have
a battery in front that is charged enough to lift the electric hitch
up and down, so I think it has enough juice.

I have a filled tank, and the burners on stove light, and the
fridge also lighted and began cooling on propane.

Does anyone have any feedback or troubleshooting thoughts
on how to get this fired up?

Also, once that lights, does it automatically make hot water ready?

I know I will want the duct heating to work, the thermostat is turned
on, but, hopefully it would make the heat and hot water.

I just drained the winterizing fluids and haven't refilled with
water yet, not sure if that is needed?

Thanks in advance!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (71.8 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg c.jpg (44.1 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg 18.jpg (37.6 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 12.jpg (37.1 KB, 7 views)

Old 06-01-2016, 11:21 AM   #2

SUN #2366
j52wf is an unknown quantity at this point
First thing. Furnace and hot water are two separate systems. Commonality is both run on propane, although hot water should have an electric option. Second, DO NOT run hot water heater unless filled with water.
For lighting, you need to push the pilot button in and hold it in while lighting. Once luf, continue to hold the button in for 30 seconds. This will activete the thermocouple and keep the pilot lit. It may take some time to get all the air out of the lines before you smell propane. Same for furnace unless you have auto ignition. Look for a small on/off switch on the bottom of your thermostat. Make sure it is on. Turn tstat to desired temperature. If auto-ignition, it should start clicking to light furnace. Send pic of t-stat if possible.

Old 06-03-2016, 06:20 PM   #3

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
Do Not light the hot water heater until the tank is full. You may have a by pass system on your hot water heater make sure it is not in by pass turn on a hot water tap until you have water running then light the heater.
Old 06-04-2016, 07:57 AM   #4

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomboy View Post

I'm getting it ready for a trip and have everything working
besides understanding how to ignite the furnace. I don't smell
propane when turning on or to pilot, and it won't light. I have
a battery in front that is charged enough to lift the electric hitch
up and down, so I think it has enough juice.

I have a filled tank, and the burners on stove light, and the
fridge also lighted and began cooling on propane.

Does anyone have any feedback or troubleshooting thoughts
on how to get this fired up?
Hi and Welcome to Sunline Owners Club. Congrats on your camper.

As was said the hot water heater and furnace are totally separate, and do not fire up the hot water heater with no water in it or it bypassed. I'll repeat that a 3rd time... If you do not know if water is in it and it may be bypassed, ask.

Now to the furnace, you mentioned a pilot and it won't light. You seemed to indicate "furnace" and pilot on a furnace does not add up unless by some odd chance you have a mega old furnace. The gas hot water heater, may have a pilot, but the furnace is electronic ignition.

I can see from this one pic, you have a newer style Hyrdoflame furnace and an Atwood hot water heater which are common for Sunlines.

The hot water heater is in the back of the camper near the rear wall. The furnace is under the fridge near the front portion of the camper.

The furnace has a thremostat inside the camper. and there should be a switch, most likely a sliding one, that turns it on and then to set the temperature. The T stat changes over the years so do not know which vintage you have, but... once you turn it on and the temp is set to call for heat, the first thing the blower should start blowing cold air to purge the system. If you have not made it past the blower running, that is problem one. The blower runs for a small period of time and then opens the gas and auto fires the igniter. No blower, means you have to get past why that is not working.

Now that you know these are different systems, which are you trying to get up and going, the hot water heater in the back or the furnace under the fridge? What which make which sounds either trying to get them going?

Since you are good with pics, on the hot water heater, undo the cover on the outside of the camper, fold it down, and take a pic of the outside heater with the cover down. Then we can see what you are seeing and help better on how to light it. And a super big help for us, find the Atwood model number and tell us that. It should be on a sticker somewhere inside when the cover is down. That model number can be decoded to tell if there is an electric element option and other features.

Hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 02:32 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #897
EMD_Driver is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to EMD_Driver Send a message via Yahoo to EMD_Driver
John is spot-on as usual...

Our old 1997 T-2653's water heater had a pilot light and no DSI. I ended up having to replace the control valve on it, to get it to work properly. If I have any pics, I will post them here when I find them.

Edit: I must have lost the pictures in a system crash. If you could get any pictures of the WH from the outside, behind the white access panel, it would greatly help. Especially the exact model number of the WH.

2007 Peterson Excel Limited 30RKE
2014 Ford F350XLT SRW Crew Cab, Long bed 6.7PSD

EMD_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furnace, heat, hot water