Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Model Specific Forums > Sunline Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 07-13-2014, 09:45 AM   #1

SUN #5666
Kathi is an unknown quantity at this point
Solar panels

We have been window shopping for ideas of things to add to our camper. We saw some solar panels, and thought they might be something we could use. Can I get some opinions on these, please? Thanks.

Old 07-13-2014, 05:04 PM   #2

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
Sure what are they?

Old 07-13-2014, 06:46 PM   #3

SUN #258
pwb01 is an unknown quantity at this point
The surest way to quickly re-charge batteries rain or shine is with a generator. Enough solar panels will trickle charge them on sunny days. Check the specs on output per panel from each manufacturer.
2013 Rockwood 8280WS 5th wheel
2006 Sunline Solaris T-1950
pwb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 06:30 AM   #4

SUN #2097
I keep my batteries up with a 100 watt panel but by far the best thing you can do is reduce the loads far more bang for the bucks LED lighting, accumulator for the water pump efficient exhaust fans anything you can do to reduce the 12 volt loads. My solar panel will win driving a fantastic fan on low on a sunny day there still is a bit of power left over to charge batteries. That being said my panel is also ground mount not only can I turn it I can also tilt it increasing it's efficient dramatically. The max solar gain is going to be at noon so if a panel is flat mounted it will only be efficient at noon. Solar is great and quiet but it is hard to relay on due to factors such as rain and night time. Many camp ground are also have lots of trees. One more thing solar panels are rated in full sun at the equator at noon (possible 1,000 watts of energy per square meter) so as you go north or south the output starts to fall. A good test would be an amm meter connected to your batteries to see just how much power you draw from them then decide how to progress on the solar project. All solar will have some merit but if it’s too small it will not be able to keep with demand.
Old 07-26-2014, 09:57 AM   #5

SUN #4081
Photokit is an unknown quantity at this point
I have the 18 foot saturn tt. Im conservative on power usage while boondocking, dry camping. I use the pump when needed, led lights all around. That said, my small, moveable 35 watt solar panel keeps my 12v battery trickle charged for a week at least. Sunny locations help but in the forest i move the panel location a few times a day. I love the quiet, free power.
Old 07-29-2014, 11:04 AM   #6

SUN #5666
Kathi is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks, Kit! Lou was looking at a 35 watt panel the LST time we were in Camping World. This info was exactly what he was looking for.
2011 Dodge Ram 1500
Kathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 04:02 PM   #7

SUN #2097
A 35 watt panel is less than 3 amp output in bright sun so you have got to make sure your power demands are very low. Granted I do not burn all my lights at the same time but all of my LED's draw a shade over 3 amps the water pump is in excess of 6 and twice that when it starts. Two old lights will draw 4 amps a tiny little fan draws 1.5 amps and a older big one closer to 8. Solar is a good thing but you will have to conserve if you take every thing with you and want to run a microwave and a coffee pot you roof is not big enough to house enough solar panels. If you decide to go with a solar set up shop around and go looking while informed knowing just what you will need to supply your power needs. Personally Camping World would not be on my shopping list it is a fairly completive market and the prices reflect that.
Old 07-30-2014, 10:44 AM   #8

SUN #1591
GKLarson is an unknown quantity at this point
Solar power, my $.02

We've had our 260 watt solar system for 2 Winters now, one spent in desert SW & other in FL & are very pleased. The only time we now use the generator is to power the microwave
Although 260W is way more than needed, I think 35W is too little. Most suppliers will provide a worksheet you can use to determine your needs but I think you'd want 100W+/- if you're serious about having the sun power your rv. A portable system has numerous advantages over a roof mount. Prices have come down & a good system can be had for very reasonable amount. As a gift I bought 2 60W panels only (no regulator nor wiring) for $60 each from Sun Electronics in Fl last Winter ($1/Watt !) & they had panels for $.83/Watt
I also heartily agree w/ recommendations to reduce your power usage by converting to LED lights & an accumulator tank. An upgraded battery system may also be warranted to store all that free power

Glen & Kathleen
06 4.7L Tundra
06 T-1950, our 6 months/yr traveling home
one of numerous canoes
GKLarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 01:16 PM   #9

SUN #9909
Preston is an unknown quantity at this point
I'd love to see detailed pictures of your solar setup in terms of mounting on roof/wires going in etc...
Old 01-25-2018, 02:34 PM   #10

SUN #987
awellis3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKLarson View Post
Prices have come down & a good system can be had for very reasonable amount.
Better act fast. The admin. just ordered a tariff on imported solar panels.

Teach
"Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows."
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 05:02 PM   #11

SUN #9909
Quote:
Originally Posted by awellis3 View Post

Teach
lol. I got'em already!
Old 01-25-2018, 05:59 PM   #12

SUN #2097
My home made one. I can steer it,elevate it and fold it flat. I store it on the bed when not in use. The connection on the end is an 50 amp Anderson Power pole the cord is a #10 SJ cord way over kill but I had than laving around. It will plug into both ends of the camper and supplies all of my power needs the longest I have been on batteries was 15 days.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1807.jpg (103.9 KB, 6 views)
Old 01-25-2018, 06:00 PM   #13

SUN #2097
Quote:
Originally Posted by awellis3 View Post

Teach
Don't worry he'll get sued over that one too.
Old 01-25-2018, 06:04 PM   #14

SUN #9909
I am installing my four 100 watt panels FLAT. I am planning on putting them on the front of my 28 footer. By installing them in this manner it will hopefully mean that I won't have to think about it! I have two 100 watt panels on my Class B and they met our power needs.
Old 02-13-2018, 09:31 PM   #15

SUN #4081
So, for the first time in 4 years of traveling with my sunline, I was dry camping this weekend, it snowed and I couldn't count on my solar (100 watt flexible panel). Since it was also cold, I ran the propane heater, which sucked the battery power. So I ran out of juice and didn't have a sunny day to recharge the battery. I run my rig on one 12V battery and I am now going to install a second battery for winter camping and during cold weather in spring and fall. The 100 watt flexi panel works great, but I need more battery power. I am very conservative with lighting (all LED) but the heater did me in. Luckily I carried a Mr Heater propane portable heater, vented with an open window. So I didn't freeze.

I would never permanently install the panel because it's really necessary to move the panel as the position of the sun changes at each campsite. I hang my panel on my bug guard and tilt as needed and also hang it from the camper too. I have 15' of 12 AWG to work with, so in the attached photo you can see my 100w flexi next to the camper (the 35w additional panel is charging a small inverter for powering my compressor)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sunline at Camp - 2.jpg (53.5 KB, 6 views)
Old 02-13-2018, 09:42 PM   #16

SUN #9909
My Class B has two hundred watts installed flat. I also have two AGM batteries which also receive a charge when the engine is running. By installing the panels - it means that whenever the sun is out, I am getting something. It won't be as much if I turned the panels at the right angle etc but I don't do a thing! Nothing! That means when I pull into a Walmart or stop to check out a site, my solar is charging. It's not likely that you would setup in those situations.

I am installing 4 hundred and flat on our Sunline for all the reasons above!
Old 02-13-2018, 09:46 PM   #17

SUN #4081
Hope it all works out. I love not hearing the sound of a generator and I'm rarely at shore power.
Old 02-13-2018, 09:47 PM   #18

SUN #9909
Exactly! I like how you are in the shot by the way. I didn't see the pic until now! Sweet site! Where about are you?
Old 02-13-2018, 09:50 PM   #19

SUN #4081
BTW. I didn't mean to sound like YOU shouldn't mount flat. Just that I don't. I tow my camper with a jeep grand cherokee and every pound counts so I bought the flexi 100w and stow it under my bed. It's light, easy, and I move it around the camper to catch the direct rays.
Old 02-13-2018, 09:51 PM   #20

SUN #4081
I was camped along the Canyon Rims in Southern Utah, BLM campground, dry. Sweet!