Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Model Specific Forums > Sunline Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 03-16-2012, 05:46 AM   #1

SUN #3425
cjp715 is an unknown quantity at this point
Shore power question

Bringing home our 2003 2363 tomorrow and I've been reading the various opinions out there about whether or not to leave your RV plugged into a power source when not in use. Some leave it plugged in all the time, some put it on a timer and have it come on 1-2 hrs a day, so don't plug it in at all.....thought I'd get some advice from some of you 'seasoned' Sunny owners. I have a plug about 30-40 ft from where we will be parking the camper.

Old 03-16-2012, 07:29 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #897
EMD_Driver is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to EMD_Driver Send a message via Yahoo to EMD_Driver
If your Sunny has the factory converter in it, leaving it plugged in 24/7 is not a good idea. They aren't really designed to maintain a battery properly. They will keep trying to charge the battery, even after it is fully charged. Doing this will cook the water/acid out of the battery and kill it. Newer style converters have different stages of charging and are able to keep the battery state of charge maintained, without damaging it.

Here is a quote from JohnB, in his converter upgrade thread:

"After looking at the price and shipping, I could get a Progressive Dynamics Intellipower PD9260C converter that has 3 stage charging, 4 modes of charging, variable speed fans, desulfation mode and is a fully automatic high quality charger. And for slightly less dollars then the American upgrade. Basically with the Intellipower you are buying a high end quality charger/power supply that is field tested for many years. But no fuse panel and no 120 breaker box. You are paying for the better charger"

As far as the converter you have now goes, it would probably be a good idea to plug it in 24hrs before you want to go camping. That way, the battery will be fully charged. Another option would be to disconnect the battery if you want to leave the unit plugged in 24/7. My issue with that, would be forgetting to re-connect it before leaving on a camping trip. Without the battery, your emergency trailer brakes would not work.

2007 Peterson Excel Limited 30RKE
2014 Ford F350XLT SRW Crew Cab, Long bed 6.7PSD

EMD_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 03:41 PM   #3

SUN #3425
cjp715 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks for the advice, you've given me a couple of good options.