Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Model Specific Forums > Sunline Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 11-04-2011, 04:08 PM   #1

SUN #1340
Drake is an unknown quantity at this point
Replacing the old Dometic

I know the first thing many campers have to do when they buy a used RV is replace the Dometic refrigerator that came installed. I know that was my first task. A new gas/electric refrigerator comes at a premium, and I know some campers who either just leave the dead Dometic there and use a cooler for refrigeration needs, or do as I did and buy an electric "college dorm" size refrigerator and install it. When you hit the road, if you put a bag of ice in the refrigerator inside a leak proof container, you can keep your food cold until you get to a camp ground, then use the ice for cooling beverages in an ice chest to save room in the fridge, or in your drink to celebrate your arrival.

Since my Seville is permanantly situated, I don't need to secure the fridge in the opening, like you folks who actually take to the open highway. So I didn't. But if any of you travelers are inspired to refit the fridge space as I have, then you WILL need to secure the fridge and anything else you put in the Dometic fridge space. This should not be too difficult as there are ample places to mount braces or brackets in the fridge space.

I had to place some paneling along the sides of the space after I pulled the old Dometic out and capped off the gas line. There is nothing but insulation along the sides of the opening otherwise. There was plenty of room for the new electric fridge and a microwave on top of the fridge as well. You can use the outlet in the rear of the fridge space to plug in both the fridge and the microwave. I then trimmed the edges with some molding.

This new configuration allows me to free up counter space where the often accessed microwave used to sit and still keep it in the galley.
Pictures are enclosed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN4071a.jpg (51.3 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN4072a.jpg (53.9 KB, 4 views)

Old 11-04-2011, 09:49 PM   #2

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Just to add for a note, I believe the outlets behind the refrigerators in the later trailers were only a single plug, so it would take a little modification to be able to plug both in.

2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 11:17 AM   #3

SUN #1340
Drake is an unknown quantity at this point
Right you are, Sunline Fan! My '88 has only one plug in. I plugged a power cord w/ a circuit breaker into that single outlet. Since the refrigerator and the microwave are not constant current draws for the system, it's fine to use it this way as long as both don't run at the same time for lengthy periods, and even if that circuit should for some reason pull too much amperage, the circuit breaker and/or the trailer fuses will protect the trailer circuitry.