Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Model Specific Forums > Sunline Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 02-07-2019, 10:59 PM   #1

SUN #11087
Phylellen is an unknown quantity at this point
prospective purchase - advice please!

Considering purchase from private party of Sunline Saturn 15' 1988 that appears to be in outstanding condition. I've had pop-ups in past and this would be a big improvement for me as single senior woman. Can I safely tow this with current vehicle (2011 Buick Lucerne V-6) ???? Any advice ASAP will be greatly appreciated as I must move quickly if I want to proceed! Many thanks and hope to meet up with other members in near future!

Old 02-08-2019, 03:17 PM   #2

SUN #9247
enormiss is an unknown quantity at this point
Don't rush, you may miss out but it could also save you from being stuck with a lemon.
The biggest thing to look for is water damage, it is extremely common and sometimes significant.
Under the files section you can find the weight of the camper and compare it to what your vehicle can handle.
Here is an attempt to directly take you there, if not scroll to top of page and click files tab
http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/do...%20Sunline.pdf
Others will be along with more useful information...

Old 02-08-2019, 10:19 PM   #3

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phylellen View Post
Considering purchase from private party of Sunline Saturn 15' 1988 that appears to be in outstanding condition. I've had pop-ups in past and this would be a big improvement for me as single senior woman. Can I safely tow this with current vehicle (2011 Buick Lucerne V-6) ????
I tried to find a tow rating on your car. This is quickly all I could find. Scroll down to the bottom to find the Max tow rating https://www.edmunds.com/buick/lucern...eatures-specs/

According that the Edmunds file, the 3.9L V6 is only rated to tow 1,000#

I do not know what model Sunline you are looking at, but this does not look like a good match for your current car now matter how I look at it.

This link should take you to our files section of the 1988 campers to be able to download the brochure when you are logged in.
Sunline Coach Owner's Club - Sunline Owner's Files - 1988 Sunline

You cannot exactly trust a 15' measurement not knowing where it is taken from. Bumper to ball coupler or just the camper box or something else. We and you really need the model number. Using the brochure you can try to back into the model from the floor plan.

That said, on page 10 of the PDF they only list 4 Saturn models. The smallest A T1350 has a GVWR of 2,500# and weighs empty 1,680# and is 13' 10" long ball to bumper.

A T1550 the next size up, has a GVWR of 3,000# and weights empty 1,900# and is 15' 11" long ball to bumper.

The other 2 models are longer and heavier.

Unless there is something more you can help provide on your 2011 Buick Lucerne V-6 car for a tow rating, none of the 1988 Saturn's will be a good match for that tow vehicle.

Trying to help give you friendly straight up advise so you know going in eyes wide open.

We are here to help if you need more explanation or to see if another Sunline would work. However if that 1,000# tow rating is real, it may not be possible in a travel trailer. The 78 Sunline Sunspot has a 1,500# axle rating which even makes it too much. I think the Sunspot is the smallest Sunline travel trailer.

Hope this helps

John

PS I agree water damage is a concern also and you cannot always see it inside like you can in a house. I did not get into that as you asked first about being able to tow it.

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote