Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Model Specific Forums > Sunline Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 04-16-2007, 08:34 PM   #1

SUN #238
MikeM
Pressure Pro Monitoring system

I have been thinking about opening the wallet and purchasing a tire pressure monitoring system. (pressure pro).

From what I have been reading at rv.net, it is pretty hard sometimes to realize you have a flat tire on your trailer.

Anyone here use this type of system?

Looks like the sensors just screw on to the valve stem. Does this work ok with the rubber valve stems on the stock Sunline wheels?

I would really hate to see panels on the trailer destroyed by a tire debris. (especially since there is no factory now for parts or advice.)

Mike

Old 04-16-2007, 08:45 PM   #2

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi Mike,

I personally haven't used a tire pressure monitoring system, but I can speak from experience on getting a flat on the trailer. On the 2653, it took us a couple miles before a passer-by told us.

Jon

2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 06:27 AM   #3

SUN #98
PTHutch is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi Mike,

Howard & Linda Payne are full-timers that have a web page RV-Dreams
http://www.rv-dreams.com/index.html

They currently use the Pressure Pro tire monitoring system. I would contact them to see what their opinion is of the unit. You can email them from their web site.

I've thought about getting one my self. Let us know what you decide and if you get one how you like it.

Hutch
Sunlines: 2005 Solaris T-280SR; 1999 Solaris T-2670; 1998 Saturn T-24A
PTHutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 09:18 AM   #4

SUN #238
MikeM
Thanks Howard

I have been swapping emails with Howard and he is a firm believer in the system.

I found a guy I work with and he used the same system on his motorhome and had no problems.

I am going to order it probably next week and I will let everyone know how it works out.

I want something for my trip to Fort Wilderness next month. This will be the first trip out of local area trip.

Guess I am real nervous about a tire blowout damaging the trailer.

I guess we all are in trouble if the skin gets damaged and needs replacing. No factory trip available to repair the damage.

I wonder if there is another company that could repair the TT if needed

mike
Old 05-30-2007, 12:48 PM   #5

SUN #98
Hey Mike,

Did you ever get the PressurePro?

If you did, how do you like it?

Hutch
Old 05-30-2007, 08:05 PM   #6

SUN #238
MikeM
Hi Hutch

Yes I installed it right before my disney trip.

Seems to work fine so far. Finding a place for the monitor in the vehicle was a pain for me. I ended up using the sunvisor mount which is not really good for hitting the button to see what the pressures are at.
Can't safely look at the pressures while I am rolling but the unit does an audible alarm if pressures drop.

So far I have not seen any leakage with rubber valve stems.

The locks will not work with the 2363 valve stems.

Basicallly the unit is insurance so you are immediately aware of a pressure loss instead of driving a few miles with a flat.

I have no idea who could repair the trailer if a flat caused structure damage to the skin or wheel wells.

What would we do if we had a skin panel damaged? Do other manufactureers use the same skin?

mike
Old 05-31-2007, 05:02 AM   #7

SUN #98
Hi Mike,

Thanks for the info. Can you use a tire pressure gauge with the PressurePro Caps on?

Why wouldn't the locks work?

wrt skin panel damage, I'm not sure who is the manufacturer of the siding that Sunline used. Maybe Sunline Fan knows. But I'm sure Sunline didn't make the skins and other manufacturers use the same. Therefore I believe a dealer would be able to find a close replacement. The problem may be in matching the striping, if they got damaged and needed replacing.

I had 2 blow outs on one of our trips. The only damage that occurred was that it put a hole in the membrane material under the camper. Siding was fine, just some black marks that we were able to wash off. Repaired the underside membrane with tap. Maybe we were just lucky.

Hutch
Old 05-31-2007, 05:14 AM   #8

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Sorry, I don't know the manufacturer of the siding. I don't think I have anything in any of the owner's manuals telling who it is either. If you go to the dealer to ask, make sure you specify that you need the stuff with Krystal Kote, not just painted.

Jon
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 02:20 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #17
kanyonkitty is an unknown quantity at this point
OK Mike,

Now you have done it. You have once again raised my interest in the Pressure Pro system. I DO NOT want to find out "IF" I can locate Krystal Kote siding. SO, darn, I might have to try to squeeze the wallet a tad and purchase this system. It does sound like great insurance . I measured my truck and Sunny today and came up with 35.2 inches from dash to the back of the rear tire on Sunny. Looks like the price would be about $390.00 ouch, Is there any wiring to be done, like running wires from the dash back to the rear of the truck, etc? Might really have to put this item on my wish list. Ya know, "wish in one hand, poo in the other"

But, it sure would save me some worrying.

Oh, where or whom did you purchase your system from?

Kitty
Sunny #18 2003 F-344SR #8157
Sunny #19 1997 T-2653 #5485
1999 Ford F350XLT DRW Crew Cab, Long bed 7.3 PSD
2002 VW Jetta TDI.. AKA: Kitty's Kruiser
kanyonkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 05:59 PM   #10

SUN #238
MikeM
The system uses rf to transmit the pressures so the only wiring was power to the 12v. I used the lighter adapter.

You will need to remove the sensor to check the tire with a guage.

There can be a problem with this if you are not aware of it.

For example you air the tire up to 50 psi cold, then install the sensor. This is the baseline pressure for the sensor. The alerts are based on this pressure.

While traveling the tire heats up and the pressure will be a few pounds higher, say 55 psi.

You decide to verify the pressure and remove the sensor and confirm the reading with a guage.

Now if you have the sensor off for more than 60 seconds and then reinstall the sensor, it will use the higher pressure as baseline pressure.

The next morning the tire cools off and it is back at 50 psi. Alerts use the baseline pressure (which is now the warm tire pressure) and could possibly give you false alerts.

The locks used set screws whick look like they would go below the threads. I did not want anything screwing directly against the rubber.

http://www.tirepressuremonitor.com uses a different type of lock which might work if there is enough thread left under the sensor.

I purchased my system from Revels in Starke, Fl. Great guy to do business with in my area. He did sell it to me for alot less than what was in his catalog. The monitor, six sensors, windshield/visor mount, 12v power cord, etc for around $499 i believe.

More sensors than I needed (six) but I figure I could put one on the spare tire and have a spare in case I lose one or the battery dies.

Expensive system but I have read good reports about it and I am nervous about a tire going down without knowing it sustaining damage on the trailer.

This won't help with an explosive blowout but running over a nail and losing pressure over a few miles, it will let you know before the tire overheats too much and maybe you can get the trailer stopped in time.

No factory support concerns me with any major issues. Like the skin getting punctured because of an accident of some sort.

mike