Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Model Specific Forums > Sunline Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 04-13-2008, 08:29 PM   #1

SUN #212
janetpowell
Power Wash or Not?

We were wondering how people wash their campers. Do you use a power washer or bucket and rag. Soap or no soap? How do you clean the rubber roof, power washer or not? Last summer we stopped at a Truck Wash and used the power washer. It was so powerful it took off some of the Sunline decal. We have a home power washer that isn't as powerful, but wanted to put the question our there for ideas on how to clean. We did pick up cleaning the awning by putting a blean solution on it an rolling it up. That works great! Can a bleach solution be used on the rubber roof? Thanks!

janetpowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 02:05 PM   #2

SUN #564
marky
Hello, The paper work that I got with mine said to use 409 cleaner, Im going to try that as soon as the weather warms up.
Mark,

Old 04-17-2008, 12:34 PM   #3

SUN #98
PTHutch is an unknown quantity at this point
On the roof you can use a water-bleach mixture to help remove the stubborn mold stains.

I use a rubber roof cleaning and brush to clean the roof, power washer to rinse it off. I typically clean the roof in spring and fall, maybe one other time during the season, depending on where we've camped, such as under trees, etc.

For the sides I use bucket & soap and Awesome for black streaks and problem areas and then again use the power washer to rinse it off.

We got one of the Karcher power washers from Wal-Mart. It works nice. Before that I just used a hose.

Hutch
Sunlines: 2005 Solaris T-280SR; 1999 Solaris T-2670; 1998 Saturn T-24A
PTHutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 03:10 PM   #4

SUN #408
partimcmpr
My brother's camper sits in the woods underneath some pine trees. His roof is shiny vinyl and the sides are white aluminum. I commented to him how clean his camper was after sitting out so long. He said he cleaned the camper real good and then washed it with mop and glo.

Anyone have any experience using something like that?

I have also heard if you use products like awesome full strength to remove black streaks, the wax will be stripped of and the camper will need to be rewaxed.

Comments?

BTW - My camper has aluminum siding, not fiberglass.

Thanks,
David
2006 Sunline T2553 Classic
https://dbmcbride.com/stttv.gif
partimcmpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 11:22 AM   #5

SUN #21
donreitz
Hmmm. We spend a lot of time and effort trying to keep water out of our units but then deliberately point high pressure streams of water at the roof and sides, both of which have seams just waiting to leak. I may be missing something but power washing a trailer doesn't sound like a good idea to me.
Don
donreitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 07:45 PM   #6

SUN #264
Steve Collins is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by donreitz
Hmmm. We spend a lot of time and effort trying to keep water out of our units but then deliberately point high pressure streams of water at the roof and sides, both of which have seams just waiting to leak. I may be missing something but power washing a trailer doesn't sound like a good idea to me.
I'm with you all the way on this one, Don. I am not comfortable with directing any stream of water directly at windows, doors, vents, or compartments. I think the sealing strips around all of them are very susceptible to water under pressure, even from a garden hose. Some opening like the little door for the shore line don't have any sealing material on them at all. Same for the outside vent for the stove. I spend a lot of time when hosing the trailer imitating the way rain runs down the sides of trailers so that I am not forcing any water into any where.

Several of the insulating/sealing strips around compartments and doors are beginning to pull loose and will have to be replaced this season. The adhesive breaks down over time, and some of the closed cell foam they use will shrink over time, pulling the strips away, especially in the corners. But our trailer is now 9 years old, and I expect that kind of thing to happen.

I think using a pressure washer just magnifies the potential for forcing water into places it does not belong.

'12 F250 4x4 Super Duty PowerStroke 6.7 diesel
2011 to present: '11 Cougar 326MKS
1999 to 2011: '99 Sunline T-2453
SUN264 * Amateur Radio kd2iat monitoring 146.52
Steve Collins is offline   Reply With Quote