Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Model Specific Forums > Sunline Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 01-08-2015, 02:26 PM   #1

SUN #6745
Gary A is an unknown quantity at this point
Power Up

I have to use my T-2753 for temporary "housing" at my son's house next weekend-for overnight guests-and my question is: If I use a 15 amp to 30 amp power cord setup, will this be sufficient to run the heat and lights? Everything else will still stay winterized, so I just need to run the lights and heat.

He has a 50 amp plug in his garage for his in-laws use, but I don't feel the love to buy the 50 to 30 cord as this will be for a one time use and if I have an extra 15 to 30, I'll probably have some reason to use it in the future.

Thanks so much.....it's cold in Atlanta today!!

Old 01-08-2015, 05:10 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #897
EMD_Driver is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to EMD_Driver Send a message via Yahoo to EMD_Driver
The heat (Propane furnace, I assume???) and lights are all 12V and run off the converter and battery. A 15A cord should be more than sufficient. How long a run and what gauge wire, in the 15A cord?

2007 Peterson Excel Limited 30RKE
2014 Ford F350XLT SRW Crew Cab, Long bed 6.7PSD

EMD_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 05:24 PM   #3

SUN #5039
bunjin is an unknown quantity at this point
A typical spacer heater may have two settings (switches), esp. the oil filled type. The low setting is usually 600 watts and the second one is usually 900 watts with both toggled on being 1500 watts.

A typical 15 amp circuit will allow about 1750 watts if I remember correctly before tripping the breaker. 15 amps x 110 volts equals 1650 watts and 15 amps x 120 volts equals 1800 watts.

The heater is 1500 watts max, thus leaving a little for the lights.

The trick is to use the heaviest gauge extension and as short as possible as there is resistance from the cord. Thus a 12 gauge 25' for example would be very nice although you could go longer with that gauge. If you have say a 14 gauge 50' cord you may only want to use 900 watt max. on the heater.

Needless to say these cords will fit only a 15 to 20 amp. outlet.....which should be normal household receptacles.

You should be able to do it. You may find that 2 heaters spaced out in that size trailer set at about 600 watts (2 x 600 watts = 1200 watts total for heat) would be more comfortable.

For heat, you could fire up the propane heater for a night and use the electrical for lighting, although with what I mentioned it should work ok with the electrical unless the temps drop real low......like about 0*F or so.

I have a electrical heater going this morning in my 1996 T-2053 and it was about 32*F with 4*F outside. It was set at about 50*F, but I'm sure that little heater was working all night (which was below zero) to keep the temp at about 32*F.

Good luck an do enjoy. I say go for it.

P.S. electric blankets work wonders also!
P3 break control
"I know a lot about nothing and nothing about a lot"
bunjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 06:00 PM   #4

SUN #6745
Thank you very much. Had not thought about the portable heater option, but that will work if I don't use the furnace in the unit. Had not thought about electric blankets, either!!
Old 01-08-2015, 06:03 PM   #5

SUN #6745
Thank you very much-I'll get a heavy gauge cord sized to the run and that should do it. Again, thanks and happy trailering!
Old 01-08-2015, 07:01 PM   #6

SUN #5039
Gary,

One thing you also need if going from a 15 amp outlet to trailer with 15 amp extension cord is a 15 amp female to 30 amp male adapter.

I got home and checked the temp in the T-2053. I had added a second heater this morning. It is an oiled filled unit as outlined in my above post. So, with the one heater (a forced air unit) in bedroom set at 50*F and the oil filled unit at the other end in dining area on 600 watt only setting and at the lowest setting (1) I had interior temp of 49*F with outside temp of 18*F.

All of this is so I have the answer you asked as I want to do winter camping in the future but want some data well ahead of time.

By the way what are you calling cold? GA. cold is I believe much warmer than New England cold!
P3 break control
Old 01-08-2015, 08:26 PM   #7

SUN #5039
Correction. 15 amp MALE x 30 amp FEMALE adapter.
P3 break control
Old 01-09-2015, 08:18 AM   #8

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
Here is a bit of info the adapter (30/15) amps really is only rated 15 amps will it take more? Most likely. Your house outlets are of two types a 15 and a 20 amp the 20 amp outlet has a sideways "T" and should be connected to a #12 wire and a 20 amp breaker that will give you the max amps that the adapter will take. the 15 amp circuit does not have the "T" shaped configuration and will only provide 15 amps max. So look at all your loads and add up the watts including the converter (some thing you will have to guess because the load changes) so if you shot for max it will be in the 400 watt range then divide by 120 and that will give you amps at 120 volts so you can decide if a 15 amp circuit will take care of your needs. If you are trying to keep the camper warm you want a margin so that the breaker will not trip and leave your camper cold. If you can use the camper power cord do so it is rated for 30 amps and is a #10 wire so the voltage drop will be low. #10 extension cords are very expensive.
Old 01-10-2015, 09:09 AM   #9

SUN #6745
By the way what are you calling cold? GA. cold is I believe much warmer than New England cold! [/QUOTE]

About the cold thing........I'm familiar with NE cold as I used to live in Boston (loved it) so I am not a stranger to the blasts that move through from time to time. I actually grew up in N. Minnesota, so I have all the experience with cold beyond belief that anyone could ever want. As to GA. cold, it's really more of an inconvenience to me. A few nights in the teens don't really bother me, but it gives all the TV stations a reason to chatter on endlessly (and mindlessly, may I add) about the Artic Blast....you'd think the world was ending they blather on and on...........and on.
Thanks for the input and CT. is a lovely state. Never camped there but I'm sure I will as I long to get back to New England for a "Lobsta Roll" and some "Steam-ez."