Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Model Specific Forums > Sunline Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 04-25-2008, 03:48 PM   #1

SUN #585
Two Boxers
Newbie Question

Hello everyone. We just got our first TT. Its a 2000 L-25K
Everything works great and it was super clean when we bought it. My question is about the battery. Is the battery supposed to power the TT when not plugged in?? Everything works when plugged in. Is there a switch to turn it to battery power?? Also the radio won't turn on when plugged in. Any ideas??

Thanks, Curtis

Two Boxers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 08:22 PM   #2

SUN #258
pwb01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Your battery should power all but the ac and microwave when not plugged in to shore power. It charges when you're plugged in or traveling with the plug hooked into your vehicle if wired properly. My battery on/off switch is mounted on the front of the trailer behind the battery. As for the radio, check for a blown fuse in the inverter.

I hope this helps.

2013 Rockwood 8280WS 5th wheel
2006 Sunline Solaris T-1950
pwb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 06:43 AM   #3

SUN #585
Two Boxers
Thanks for the reply. I can see this forum will be very helpful for newbies like us. I'll look for the battery switch and check that fuse. Thanks again, Curtis and Jolene.
Old 05-03-2008, 08:37 AM   #4

SUN #264
Steve Collins is an unknown quantity at this point
Curtis,

The following message threads may be very helpful to you:

http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/ph...highlight=fuse

http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/ph...highlight=fuse

Also, if you use the search function, try searching on "fuse" without the quotes. You will find several more threads that also deal with this exact problem.

A very important thing to do is to find that Battery and Charge Line Fuse and make sure it is not blown. That is discussed thoroughly in the two threads mentioned above.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

'12 F250 4x4 Super Duty PowerStroke 6.7 diesel
2011 to present: '11 Cougar 326MKS
1999 to 2011: '99 Sunline T-2453
SUN264 * Amateur Radio kd2iat monitoring 146.52
Steve Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 04:05 PM   #5

SUN #585
Two Boxers
I found that my 12V fuse was blown. I went to the store and purchased half a dozen so I would have some extras. I disconnected the battery and put the new fuse in. I then connected the battery and it blew the fuse again! Any ideas????

Thanks again, Curtis
Old 05-05-2008, 04:59 PM   #6

SUN #585
Two Boxers
I also hooked up my truck and with it running nothing inside works. Only the outside running lights. So now I have determined that only shore power will work to power anything. Please help!!!

Thanks again, Curtis
Old 05-05-2008, 07:21 PM   #7

SUN #382
Mooney
Sounds like a bad ground somewhere...check for any esposed wires that you can see. Unfortunately, electrical issues are often a real PITA to track down. I am not too familiar with electrical issues, but I can wire up anything???

It could be an issue with your power converter, I know there's been a lot of that going around- esp. if nothing runs with the truck running- UNLESS there is no battery hooked up while the truck is running- you need to complete the circuit. Our coach will do nothing at all, appliance wise, unless the battery (12v) circuit is complete.

You COULD try to put a fuse in-line with a couple wires and "jump" the battery cables together (I've done this before, but not on a travel trailer)- this would complete the circuit without the battery being involved. That would tell you whether the battery or the power line from the tow rig is the issue.

As the power comes from a different wire than that of your running lights, if the power line is not connected at one end or the other, nothing inside would work.

The power converter takes the shore power and puts it into 12v power, that's why that would power all your goodies....

There are others here who may be able to explain better, but that's all stuff I gathered from them (regarding the converter).

I see you are in our local area- I would highly suggest that if you are not familiar with running down shorts or other electrical stuff, MacDonald's RV in Plainville on Rte 1 (just south of the intersection of I495, on the left, after 152) was a BIGtime Sunline dealer- and they have experience with them. That's where we got ours....

tell them Greg from Foxboro that bought the 2380 last fall sent you....

They are REALLY good people to deal with.
'05 2380s Solaris Lite, axles flipped
Mooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 07:43 PM   #8

SUN #585
Two Boxers
Thanks for the response. I looked for any exposed wires but ran out of daylight. So I guess I'll be back at it in the morning. I just can't understand why the fuse blows everytime i try putting a new one in?? I guess it could be a ground. I'll check those tomorrow. I hope I can figure out how to get the battery hooked up without blowing fuses everytime so i can determine if the pickup will run the interior stuff when plugged in with the 7 way. Thanks again and I'll keep ypu posted with what I find.

Curtis
Old 05-06-2008, 06:01 AM   #9

SUN #379
2beagles
Try this:
Unplug from shore power, unplug from the TV, pull all the fuses from the converter, shut off any 110v breakers and try to hook up the battery. Plug in the main fuse, and see if it blows. If it does, the problem is between the converter and the battery, probably a hot wire touching the trailer frame. It still may be the converter, but this will limit your search area. I'm not positive, but I'd assume that if everything worked on shore power, the converter's not the culprit.

This may be an obvious question, but are you sure you're hooking up the battery cables to the correct terminals?

2017 F-150 Crew Cab
2003 2570
2beagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 06:36 AM   #10

SUN #585
Two Boxers
Thanks for the idea Chris. I pulled all fuses from converter, shut off all breakers and it still blew the fuse immediately. This tells me that it must be a bad ground or short between the battery and the fuse?? Any more ideas?? I'm going out now to check all wires from battery to fuse. Thanks again, Curtis
Old 05-06-2008, 06:37 AM   #11

SUN #585
Two Boxers
Thanks for the idea Chris. I pulled all fuses from converter, shut off all breakers and it still blew the fuse immediately. This tells me that it must be a bad ground or short between the battery and the fuse?? Any more ideas?? I'm going out now to check all wires from battery to fuse. Thanks again, Curtis
Old 05-06-2008, 07:32 AM   #12

SUN #64
MACK C-85 is an unknown quantity at this point
From your "all fuses out of the convertor, still blows the charge line fuse" description, you have a short in the battery/charge line between the battery and the convertor (not just the fuse). That fuse is protecting the wiring from the fuse to the convertor. Check that wire for any bare spots especially where it contacts the frame. It probably is not a bad ground, that most likely would not cause the fuse to blow immediately (arcing would eventually blow it, but if it's immediate it's most likely a short)

Your convertor is ok if you have 12v power on shore power (i.e. everything works, not just the a/c and recepticles) Most of the newer models don't need battery connected to work on shore power.

2004 Dodge Ram 2500 Club Cab 4x4 CTD
2007 Sunline Solaris T-276-SR: Misty Blue/Cherry
2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Reg Cab 4x4 OFF-ROAD
MACK C-85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 08:11 AM   #13

SUN #585
Two Boxers
With the shore power everything works fine. So i guess my converter is ok, which i'm relieved about. I've been trying to trace that wire but have yet to find any bare spots. I have to leave tomorrow for one last trip to Florida to bring horses back to New England. So I guess I'll look for as long as I can today and probably continue when I get back. Ican't thank all of you enough for your help. I'm glad we bought a Sunline now that I know what a great owners group there is.

Thanks everybody for all the help, I'll keep everybody posted with results.

Curtis
Old 05-06-2008, 09:01 AM   #14

SUN #379
2beagles
Try checking where the line from the battery enters the converter. That'd be the likely spot other than on the tongue to find a short. Maybe shorting to the housing or another connection inside the converter.

2017 F-150 Crew Cab
2003 2570
2beagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 07:20 PM   #15

SUN #585
Two Boxers
Great news!! Its fixed! It took me all day tracing the wire. I finally found that the twelve volt wire was pinched in a crossmember that holds one of the tanks underneath the trailer. I had to cut the wire and splice in a new piece. I used good heat shrink weatherproof connectors and wrapped everything really well with electrical tape. I added a new fuse hooked up the battery and everthing is perfect. I want to thank all of you for the ideas and support with the troubleshooting. Everybody has been great. I'm really excited to take it on its maiden voyage. This website is great. Hopefully I can be of some help to others on here to repay them.

Thanks again to everybody,

Curtis