Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Model Specific Forums > Sunline Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 09-10-2012, 08:25 PM   #21

SUN #4050
Wannabes is an unknown quantity at this point
Jon,

Thanks for the reply. Didn't know that Sunline used WFCO and we haven't read anything negative about them but, be that as it may, it's still "Made in China," which we avoid if we possibly can.

Matthew and Lisa
TT: '02 T-2363;
TV: 2012 Ford F-150, 4x4/Off-road, 5.0L V8, "Big Gray"
Reese Straitline w/ dual cam
Wannabes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:09 PM   #22

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
I haven't really researched much into them, but I don't think my WFCO is all that great. When I turn on much more than a couple lights in the front area of the coach (or turn the radio on), the converter fan increases in speed and becomes rather noisy. I'm beginning to think that the noise I get inside with the radio on is actually a noise from the converter, not the radio. If I had the choice, I'd probably go with a Progressive Dynamics unit.

2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 03:49 PM   #23

SUN #4050
Update on converter issues

Since this thread was referenced in a recent thread about converters we thought we'd add an update: We did buy a Progressive Dynamics 4645 converter even tho' it was going to be a tight fit depth-wise b/c of where the converter is located in the 2363 - in the hallway under the pantry and in back of the shower. Unfortunately the o.e. Centurion CS4500 had an all-in-one piece box with no way to separate the converter from the load panel without cutting metal and doing mods and the 4645 was too high to fit in the 4500 box. It would also require mods on the PD converter box, which would void the return policy on it. This was our mistake as we've should've checked how the Centurion's box was put together before we ordered the PD4645 but instead we assumed... and you know what they say about that!

So, we sent it back in exchange for a PD4045 Power Center. By the dimensions given on-line, the 4045 would fit but would need some framing in to finish and hold it in place. Since we have neither talent nor tools for woodworking, we contracted the woodwork out to the local RV repair guy. He was placing the 4045 to see what he needed to do to the enclosure and discovered that it also did not fit. The depth measurement given on-line was wrong. He also pointed out something we had noticed but didn't really think about: the converter in the 2363 is situated, as mentioned before, on the back of the shower underneath the shower piping and faucets. A shower leak, especially a bad one, could well mean a shorted converter so we discussed doing what JohnB did in his Sunline and moving the converter to another spot. This is what we have decided to do.

To make it less of a project as far as the wiring goes, we are sending back the PD4045 power center and have ordered an Iota DLS45 converter w/ IQ4 "smart charger" from bestconverter.com. (Thanks for the tip, John, they are good people to deal with.) The Iota is rated good, has positive reviews, and is made in Tucson, AZ, satisfying our desire to buy American when we can. The converter will be placed in the small cabinet on the floor directly opposite of the original power center and the wiring will go under the floor to it. (We'll post pixs if we can.)

Sunline did such a good job with TT layout but the positioning of the converter/power center in the 2363 is a little curious, especially with a water "source" directly above it and in light of the fact that it's tough to get a replacement converter that fits in an area of less than 7.5" depth. Of course they couldn't have foreseen that 10 years ago. So, with the amount of returning we're doing at least the Post Office is making out and these newbies are expanding our learning curve.

Matthew and Lisa
Old 10-18-2012, 06:29 PM   #24

SUN #768
Gene is an unknown quantity at this point
When I first noticed on my 2363 where the converter was in relation to the tub faucet I thought it was strange. I did see that the converter box was all one piece on the back side so water would just run off the box. If you wanted to be real cautious you could open that panel above the converter and add some plastic to make a "drip shield".

Gene & DW Ginny
2002 Sunline T-2363
2008 Toyota 4-runner 4wd 4.7L V-8
Reese Dual Cam straightline - P3 Brake controller
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:15 PM   #25

SUN #246
Janalee
The issue of the placement of the convertor box is a definite non-issue for me...We NEVER shower in our 2363--or any of the others- but for one time years ago. I have always felt the less added humidity to an already "water magnet " has to be a good thing. We always use the park facilities which are usually decent and certainly more roomy. That being said..I am feeling so bad for you guys..you have certainly had your troubles with this unit and I certainly would let "George" know since he told both you two and myself that this trailer was in such excellent condition.. it is possible he may do the right thing and share some of this cost since he seemed like a sincere man and you did give him full price..Anyway..going back to my popup days,we camped w /o ac power by taking an extra battery along for back up..( try flipping off the convertor breaker)..protected candles kept the dampness out (I put one inside an old coffeepot and it was a swell little heater) flush w /jugs of water -the pump and furnace are your power hogs. Good luck..this too will pass!! Janalee
'96 2553 & '95 1950 Sunlines
'95 and '98 Solaris 2653's
2002 Solaris T-2363
Janalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:30 AM   #26

SUN #4050
Gene - The extra protection is a good idea. The RV repairman we're using also suggested putting something like a baffle in back of the converter if we kept the converter in its original location. We decided to place it elsewhere partly to get it away from the tub, faucets, & piping but also b/c the lack of depth in that location was creating problems with buying a quality converter. From the research we did, the converters that fit in the original space do not have the best reputations so we figured why buy one of them and possibly face this same problem again in a year or two. This way the converter is away from the shower and in a place where we don't need to be so concerned about fit.

Janalee - PO George told us that he and his wife did not use the shower either. (All original stickers are still in the shower with no watermarks at all.) We haven't used it either but then again we've only been doing overnights. We're going to want to use it in the future tho'. George almost always used shore power so it's hard to tell how aware he was of any problem with the converter. Some of the converter problems we've had are "our issues," like not checking to see that the power center box was in one piece before buying a separate converter, or wanting to buy American. But we mark it down to a learning experience and hope not to make the same mistake(s) again. Converter aside, our 2363 really is in excellent shape - the RV repairman confirmed that - and, while we like getting a good deal, we think our Sunny well worth what we paid for it, so please, don't feel bad! And thanks for the tips, next summer we want to try boondocking so we'll be seeking advice on power saving.

Matthew and Lisa