Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Model Specific Forums > Sunline Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 07-17-2019, 10:17 AM   #1

SUN #11407
Corrigan is an unknown quantity at this point
New owner newbie questions...

My wife & I had been thinking for a while about getting a TT. Not too seriously...kinda a "wouldn't it be nice" sort of thing. Anyway, the other day we bought a 13 1/2 sort of on the spur of the moment and we're pretty excited. We don't know anything about Sunlines. Actually, to be honest, we don't know anything about TT's at all! We don't have it home yet, hopefully this weekend. So, I guess I have a few questions.
1. What is Sunlines reputation? Are they great....middle of the road...not-so-great?
2. I believe the 13 1/2 runs 13" tires. Can I run 14"s on it?
3. does the 13 1/2 have brakes, surge or electric? Does it even need brakes?
Thanks in advance...

Jim

Old 07-17-2019, 11:58 AM   #2

SUN #9498
Draughty is an unknown quantity at this point
Welcome aboard!
I sort if did the same a couple years ago..got a great deal on a lightweight 17' and dove into the needed repairs.
Sunline had a good reputation but went out of business a decade or so back.
Best move I made was joining here as the forum is very active and has some real experts as well.
If you can be more specific and add some photos the community will jump in to help as best we can.
Perusing the previous posts is a near encyclopedia of information as well!

Old 07-17-2019, 02:19 PM   #3

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi Jim,

We need to know the year and model of your camper to help better. The 13 1/2 is a model number but folks also sometimes call out a generic length as to what they have. We just need to know what it is you have. And if you do not know what it is, post pics of all sides and can back into it.

Sunline, they were unique and in my mind, and many others who have been associated with the brand a while, they are a great camper! And they were built better than most. This post has some background on the company with our Wiki post. http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f6...dia-18531.html

Tires, again need to confirm what trailer you have to help better but I can say this generically. Tire OD may be an issue going to 14", top of tire to bottom of wheel well is one concern that will most likely interfere first if it will. You will need to measure what you have now and let us know. If there is clearance tire to tire at the center and wheel bump clearance at the wheel well, they the 14" might work.

BUT some folks have raised their camper with what is nicknamed "an axle flip" It means the underslung axle from Sunline was moved from the bottom of the spring pack to the top, (Over/under) and that lifted the camper several inches to help with dragging the back of the camper over most anything. Gas stations drop offs as a starter. If yours by chance had that lift done to it, then the tire OD may not be an issue. If you post some pics of the axle and springs and the side of the camper we can see what it is you have.

Brakes. Odds are high it came from Sunline with electric brakes. Even their tiniest camper at 2,100# GVWR Sunpsot had electric brakes. So yes you need to add a 7 wire plug to your tow vehicle if it does not have one and a trailer brake controller. That an a battery on the camper and an emergency breakaway switch if it does not have one.

These are somewhat generic quick answers, but should help get you going to ask even more questions. So ask away!

Hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote