Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Model Specific Forums > Sunline Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 07-12-2016, 10:11 AM   #1

SUN #8332
squeaky is an unknown quantity at this point
Need help understanding power

So I recently acquired my first TT (well my first RV of any sort). It's a 1983 T-1950. I'm trying to understand the power situation with this. I haven't connected it to my car or shore power yet. At my in-laws they dont have a socket on the house that fits the circuit.

So my questions are, is the power needed for the shoreline 120 or 240V and how many AMPs do I need the breaker at. Also before I bought it, someone stole the propane tanks and battery. Will I need to replace the batter before trying to power it or will it just bypass.

Also what kind of power is available inside when running off the battery, is it just lights or is there an A/C inverter that will power the outlets in the TT?

TL;DR
1938 T-1950
* What are the power requirements for shore power?
* Do I need a battery connected to use power?
* Can I get A/C power when running off battery alone?

Old 07-12-2016, 10:25 AM   #2

SUN #64
MACK C-85 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeaky View Post
So I recently acquired my first TT (well my first RV of any sort). It's a 1983 T-1950. I'm trying to understand the power situation with this. I haven't connected it to my car or shore power yet. At my in-laws they dont have a socket on the house that fits the circuit. You can get a connector to plug in to a regular house outlet, but you won't have full capacity

So my questions are, is the power needed for the shoreline 120 or 240V and how many AMPs do I need the breaker at. Also before I bought it, someone stole the propane tanks and battery. Will I need to replace the batter before trying to power it or will it just bypass. See below.

Also what kind of power is available inside when running off the battery, is it just lights or is there an A/C inverter that will power the outlets in the TT? There will only be 12v, if a battery is attached. AN inverter would be an aftermarket add-on and highly unlikely.

TL;DR
1938 T-1950
* What are the power requirements for shore power? 120v/30 amp
* Do I need a battery connected to use power? Maybe, some older convertors need a battery to operate. Make sure cable ends are taped if you don't have a battery.
* Can I get A/C power when running off battery alone?No. Unless someone has added an inverter, you will only have 12v and then only if a battery is attached.

Overview - You supply 120v/30amp to the trailer. The convertor then steps down to 12v which supplies the trailer and charges the battery. The A/C outlets, the air conditioner (if installed) and the refrigerator (if electric) and the microwave (if installed) require 120v. The lights, exhaust fans, and furnace are all 12v and require either a working 12v convertor or a battery.

Hope this helps.

2004 Dodge Ram 2500 Club Cab 4x4 CTD
2007 Sunline Solaris T-276-SR: Misty Blue/Cherry
2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Reg Cab 4x4 OFF-ROAD
MACK C-85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 10:26 AM   #3

SUN #8332
This is exactly the info I was looking for, thanks!
Old 07-12-2016, 01:09 PM   #4

SUN #1830
Jim-Bev-2363 is an unknown quantity at this point
If you do want to tow the camper, anywhere, you should have everything working properly. someone posted about how their camper jumped off of the hitch ball and rolled back into a tree. If the battery and the electric brakes had been installed and working properly they could have missed the bent bumper and bashed in rear wall. It is best to have all systems operational on the TT even if you think you do not really need them. The "I'm not going far", or "I'm not going fast", is not rational thinking. You might do without shore power, you might do without battery power, when sitting still and not connected to the tow vehicle. But connect the TT to a tow vehicle and you do need lights, brakes (towing and emergency breakaway) and proper hitch connections. Trying to skimp on costs can be penny-wise and pound foolish.

Enjoy your new toy but do it safely.
Jim-Bev-2363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 06:54 AM   #5

SUN #8332
Thanks for the advice. I had just recently read that thread too. My question about the breakaway engaging the brakes. I assume I need the battery to accomplish that .. am I correct?
Old 07-13-2016, 07:20 AM   #6

SUN #64
MACK C-85 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeaky View Post
Thanks for the advice. I had just recently read that thread too. My question about the breakaway engaging the brakes. I assume I need the battery to accomplish that .. am I correct?
Yes, the battery supplies the power to the brakes when the 7-pin cable disconnects.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

2004 Dodge Ram 2500 Club Cab 4x4 CTD
2007 Sunline Solaris T-276-SR: Misty Blue/Cherry
2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Reg Cab 4x4 OFF-ROAD
MACK C-85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 08:56 AM   #7

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
You can buy an adapter that plugs into you 30 amp cord cap allowing you to use a standard outlet auto parts store or RV outfit will have them. The 30 amp would be needed say if you are running an AC, lights, TV, and the microwave other wise a standard outlet should work for you. It would not have had an inverter unless it was added so lights,fan and the pump is about all your going to get inside or some thing that would plug into the lighter socket.