Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Model Specific Forums > Sunline Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 07-17-2016, 06:15 AM   #1

SUN #8588
Naterade77 is an unknown quantity at this point
Need appliance help!

Just brought home a 1990 StarRay T-241 yesterday. It has been sitting for quite some time. I would like some advise about cleaning and checking out the fridge, furnace and hot water heater. Mostly with how to clean the propane burners and what not. Also. When I plug into shore power. The GFI outlet in the back bedroom keeps tripping. It takes a long time before it will reset. I am guessing it is old and not working right. I am good with wiring and plan on replacing it, but just wanted to mention that in case anyone had different ideas. Thanks Guys.

Old 07-17-2016, 06:29 AM   #2

SUN #8588
Also. Is there a way to hook city water up and not fill the fresh water tank? I have not looked yet to see how the plumbing is set up. If there is not. I could plumb it with some valves to choose to fill the tank or pressureize the rest of the plumbing? Right ?

Old 07-17-2016, 06:41 AM   #3

SUN #2366
j52wf is an unknown quantity at this point
Should be an inline check valve that prevents the FW tank from filling when hooked to city water.
Old 07-17-2016, 06:56 AM   #4

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
It's the water pump it's self it will not allow water to flow the wrong direction. GFI do indeed go bad All though you do not need a 20 amp GFI that's what I would use to replace it they are more robust and better quality.
Old 07-17-2016, 07:18 AM   #5

SUN #2097
Let me add if the city water is filling you tank two things water pump issues or too much water pressure. Kits are available for the pumps and a water pressure regulator can be had at any RV place or camp ground to fit on your hose.
Old 07-17-2016, 07:39 AM   #6

SUN #8588
Okay thanks. So is there a way to fill the tank that is separate from the city water hook up?
Old 07-17-2016, 03:47 PM   #7

SUN #2097
Yes there should be a hatch in the side about 4X4" with a plastic cap inside that is the fresh tank fill post.
Old 07-17-2016, 05:56 PM   #8

SUN #8588
So. I spent the day going thru it. I learned a lot.

Water system is working. Kinda. Two leaks in the drain system. Both easy fixes
Water heater fires up both keeps going out after 5 min. Thermocouple not getting enough heat? The pilot isn't not staying one either. I found the tank filler. Pump seems to work. Do I only use the switch when I need the pump? Or does it pressurize and shut off? Water heater may have a small internal leak also.

Fridge was heating with 120ac but kept tripping my GFI in my garage. I replaced GFI in the bed room with new. Still trips. On propane the freezer got to 0° in two hours. So I guess that's good!

Furnace I am not testing till the ducts are replaced. Mice!!!

Power inverter seems to function fine and charging the battery I think. What charge voltage should I be seeing?

A/C works nearly perfect. Needs a good cleaning. Maybe a thermostat. It shuts off before I would like it too. I did not test to see if my Honda 2000 euI would run it.

Water damage!! All vents need covers. One just needs a whole new vent. Other obvious roof leaks to patch. Marker lights need replace and resealed. Definitely some structural work needed on back wall. Floors seem okay except front near cargo hatch.

That is all for now. Good night all
Old 07-18-2016, 07:05 AM   #9

SUN #2097
Leave the switch on if you need water it will not store pressure for very long it is all ways a good ideal to turn it off when not needed in case some thing happens you won't flood the camper. Pull the plug for the fridge it's in the compartment outside behind the fridge and see if it still trips the GFI. If it still does turn the breaker off one at a time. Ground faults can be hard to find look for some thing that shows signs of having been tinkered with I would buy a cheap 3 light voltage tester (hardware store) they plug into any outlet and will tell you if the wiring is correctly wired. Charge voltage will be some where between 13.2 to 14.2 depending on the battery state of charge. Your Honda 2000 watt probably will not run the AC that's really pushing it. Yeah sounds like the thermo couple RV stores will have one they are pretty cheap but if your hot water tank is leaking you my well be in need of a new one any way they don't usually "fix" well.
Old 07-18-2016, 07:58 AM   #10

SUN #8588
Im confidant the fridge was tripping the GFI. It never tripped when the fridge was unplugged or in gas mode. I am pretty good with wiring and electrical. I have that tester and all systems are grounded and wired correctly. I will look into getting a new element for the fridge. Honestly I think it is more my chain of extention cords that was the problem. I hooked the honda to the fridge directly and it ran with no issues for 30 min. Then I got distraced cause I got the propane to fire up on the fridge. I was just really happy my cooling unit on the fridge was still working right. I would just assume to run it propane most of the time anyway.

Any tips on the best vent covers? Or replacment vents? Years ago in another life I built and sold RV accesories at JR products in NY. We sold a lot MAX brand vent covers. They seemed nice and allow to keep vents open in the rain. Might see about upgrading.
Old 07-18-2016, 05:26 PM   #11

SUN #2097
Restive loads do often confuse GFI's. If it does not trip either off or unplugged then you probably have a element issue. Very rarely use the electric side of my fridge maybe the day before I take off some where but even when I get some where with power I just leave the gas on it uses so little. I guess if you have seen one vent hatch you have seen them all.
Old 07-18-2016, 06:58 PM   #12

SUN #8588
Hey thanks. I will test the fridge more this weekend. And ... Vent is vent! Noted.
Old 07-19-2016, 03:59 AM   #13

SUN #1830
Jim-Bev-2363 is an unknown quantity at this point
Only real difference I have found in vent covers is the color. The white will brighten the inside of the camper when vent is open. The smoke colored helps hold the glare down. But in the end the main reason is to keep rain out and either style does that.

I like running my fridge on LP all the time. Just makes it so I have less to remember. I'd hate to loose frozen food because I forgot to change over when leaving home or going from one site to another. "Keep It Simple Stoopid" is what my wife says.

Jim-Bev-2363 is offline   Reply With Quote