Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Model Specific Forums > Sunline Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 05-02-2015, 12:46 PM   #1

SUN #7218
Rocketgirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Question My new 2002 Sunline 1950- Shower leak?

I am purchasing this trailer "as is" with a little wet/soft spot in the floor between the shower and toilet. Previous owner put rigid board over the soft spot in the floor for support. When I came to pick up the trailer this morning, there was unexpected moisture in this area after I lifted up the floor support boards. It was like heavy condensation, and had no smell on my hand. The tech checked the toilet seal and ran the shower, no additional water came about. The water could have gotten on the floor when the dealer was clearing out the antifreeze from the water lines this morning, but because there is already some previous water damage in the area, I had to question it. Windows and skylights were dry and roof sealed a couple weeks ago. Everything else on the rv is pristine.

1) has anyone else experienced this problem in this area?

2) the tech mentioned that the shower water may run into the black water tank; not sure I like that but I can learn to live with it. Does anyone know if this is true? Usually shower water runs into the gray water tank.

3) it was impossible to see under the shower area without drilling holes in things. Recommendations?

Thanks for any hints of what I can look for and do to keep my trailer from further water damage/rot.

Thank you.
Andie

Old 05-02-2015, 07:44 PM   #2

SUN #1577
jbinnh is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi Andie,
If you open the rear cargo door and remove the wooden raceway held with three screws, if I remember right, you will have a small hole where the water and elec lines go to the shower. If you can borrow a flexible scope like contractors use, you can do some looking around under the shower. Also there is an access door on the wall between the bed and shower faucets which is easy to remove and might give you some clue about what is goin on down there.
More likely, I think the toilet should be pulled and the floor checked for rot around it. The soft spot you mention is what concerns me.
Last fall I had to replace some floor and rear wall due to what I believe was slow leaking of my fresh water tank over several years.
Keep in mind the mantra......."Anything can be fixed on a Sunline".
Others will chime in soon and offer suggestions I am sure.
Good luck and let us know how you make out. Also keep in mind that pictures are incredibly valuable to others trying to understand what is going on.
John

jbinnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 04:48 AM   #3

SUN #7218
More info....

Well, I think I answered 1 question yesterday. I gave the shower a good scrubbing and with the tanks empty, just dumped water to rinse the shower. The water indicator on my gray water tank went up, so the shower water IS dumping into the gray water tank, what a relief it is not the black!

I am attaching a picture of the floor area in question around the toilet. I really got in there with my hands and the soft area in the floor extends out from the shower further than the obvious visual in the photo. I have outlined the soft area in red. The edges of the red area are more firm, but I sat on the toilet and THINK I felt a little sink at the front of the toilet, so I think I need to get the floor redone in the bathroom as soon as possible.

That being said, rather than go through the whole cut out and reseat of the toilet (I spent all my extra money on the trailer and accessories this past weekend, lol), what would prevent me from cutting a 6" diameter hole in the softest part of the floor, and cutting some PVC to the exact height of the distance from the toilet to whatever structure is below the toilet as a "pillar like" support? IS there anything below that I can put pressure on (with the PVC pillars) to compensate for the soft floor mount of the toilet? I don't want to accidentally punch a hole in a water tank or dislodge a water tank or something else either.

Not sure if this a stretch or a viable solution. I might have to just get in there and look....

Thanks for any input.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg subfloor.jpg (91.9 KB, 13 views)
Old 05-04-2015, 07:02 AM   #4

SUN #93
Poppy & Nana is an unknown quantity at this point
Rocketgirl....I'm not the structural person BUT directly under your toilet is your black tank. I would not be putting any pressure on the tank other than what you "put into it".....

Many people have replaced the flooring in their trailers......I'm sure someone will be responding here shortly!
We loved our 2007 T-2499
2010 Ford F-350 4x4 Lariat Super Crew Dually Diesel
Poppy & Nana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 07:33 AM   #5

SUN #7218
Thanks, that's what I kind of thought. I am just eager to use it and this will cause a bit of a delay. Thanks for the feedback!
Previous full timer 10/2015 - 8/2016
Previous full timer 1992-1996
Rocketgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 08:06 PM   #6

SUN #768
Gene is an unknown quantity at this point
I am not familiar with the 1950, having only seen one many years ago when I bought my 2363, but I will offer some "off the wall" thoughts. (Guesses!)

That stain in the picture looks like most of the water and damage is starting at the shower and working toward the toilet. If the shower really does drain into the grey tank then the shower drain line must cross over the black tank to join the lines from the pathroom sink and the kitchen sink. I would seem that the black tank is inder the toilet and the grey is forward of that closer to the kitchen .... maybe. Looking under the trailer would confirm that. A crack in the pipe along that area could seep into the floor.

I wonder where the vent pipe goes up to the roof. Looking at the floor plan in the brochure I wonder if the pipe goes up inside the wall between the shower and the bed and out the roof. If the seal on the roof was bad then rain water could trickle down the vent pipe and onto the wood under the shower. Looking at the roof you would see the cap for the vent pipes, one for the black tank and one for the grey tank.

As I said, all guesses.

I think John's (jbinnh) idea of a scope is a good idea.

Gene & DW Ginny
2002 Sunline T-2363
2008 Toyota 4-runner 4wd 4.7L V-8
Reese Dual Cam straightline - P3 Brake controller
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 02:23 PM   #7

SUN #7218
Vent Pipe

Gene, you might be onto something with the vent pipe. I have not been using the water systems at all in the trailer. I have the linoleum pulled back to try to get it to dry. It was working good until we got rain yesterday. The floor nearest the shower is wetter again. There are no visible leaks from either the skylights or windows. I need to get a ladder, but I was able to stand on the bumper and take a roof picture. Is the vent pipe you mention, the dome in the center of the picture?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (34.6 KB, 7 views)
Old 05-14-2015, 07:59 PM   #8

SUN #768
Gene is an unknown quantity at this point
[QUOTE=Rocketgirl;127473 .... Is the vent pipe you mention, the dome in the center of the picture?[/QUOTE]Yes, that is it. The dome part covers the the vertical vent pipe that goes down into the tank. It should keep rain out of the vent but allow air in and out. There should be a seal of Dicor around the pipe and over the flanges on the dome at roof level to keep water from running down the outside of the pipe.

Gene & DW Ginny
2002 Sunline T-2363
2008 Toyota 4-runner 4wd 4.7L V-8
Reese Dual Cam straightline - P3 Brake controller
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 10:47 AM   #9

SUN #7218
It's been a while, but in hopes this chain will help someone else in the future, I wanted to mention one more finding now that I have had the trailer for a while. I believe the source of the water on the floor in the bathrooms is from something on the roof. Maybe the vent pipe. It does not happen all the time, ONLY when the trailer is being stored at a sharper than normal angle. Once or twice, after storage, when I decreased the angle, I suddenly found the water on the bathroom floor. So now, whenever I plan on moving the trailer, I throw a towel across that area in the bathroom. I used the wood hardener on the floor, soaked it pretty good, and I have not seen any progression to the problem ever since. It would still be good to seal off the problem area of the roof, but the problem is handled by level storage and a towel.
Old 10-14-2015, 06:57 PM   #10
sep

SUN #7710
sep is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi Andie,

I'm not sure if you have a section of wall where the tub is that is removable so you can see under the tub but if you do I would check there to see if the water is coming down there and seeping under the linoleum. You don't want it to get worse because the water will start to "creep" and may make more of a mess on the walls and floor. Check out my pictures that I posted. I have to find my leak as well and I think it is a slightly dry rotted portion of my roof but who knows.
Steve
Old 01-21-2016, 09:11 AM   #11

SUN #8072
Wiltzjb is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi, I recently bought a 2003 1950 also with exact same soft spot. Have you found and fixed problem? Also how did you fix floor if you did, I dont want to tear apart the whole bathroom. My previous Sunline was a Saturn and I never had to address soft floor problems. I keep my 1950 under a shelter but dont want future problems with leak or soft floor getting worse.
Old 01-21-2016, 05:50 PM   #12
sep

SUN #7710
sep is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiltzjb View Post
Hi, I recently bought a 2003 1950 also with exact same soft spot. Have you found and fixed problem? Also how did you fix floor if you did, I dont want to tear apart the whole bathroom. My previous Sunline was a Saturn and I never had to address soft floor problems. I keep my 1950 under a shelter but dont want future problems with leak or soft floor getting worse.
Hi, There hasn't been much action on this post so I'm not sure if the original poster fixed their problem. I haven't fixed mine yet but I have done my other 2 floors in the past so if you want some ideas, let me know. Steve
Old 01-28-2016, 05:45 AM   #13

SUN #8072
Wiltzjb is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks Steve, I've got somebody coming to look at it but if they scare me with price I'll get back with you for advice.
Old 03-11-2016, 02:38 PM   #14

SUN #7657
Tinker is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a 2002 1950 and just got done ripping out the shower, shower pan, toilet and water heater, complete bed and frame, also freshwater pump. The only way to fix it right is to tear out "carefully" what is needed to get to the bad wood. Wood is OSB and once it is rotten its gone. Got to watch It doesn't get into frame work below floor. Had to sister some sub floor joists for strength as well. I had to take off the siding on the outside to get to the frame "sill'" to replace that also. The toilet goes straight down to the black tank, and the shower goes across under the shower pan and behind the toilet and into gray tank via a 2 inch line. Little sink on outside of bathroom is on this line also. Vent stack goes up the wall between the bedroom and bathroom. If you can 'see' the rot from the discolored linoleum, then you better believe there's more you can't see. Have lots of pics but not to good at uploading them to here. Shower is very difficult to get out, but it can be done. It must come out to get the shower pan out to access the rest of your rot problem. If you'd like a phone reply let me know and I'll give you my email or cell #. Good Luck!
Old 04-10-2016, 10:45 AM   #15

SUN #1502
JimL3222 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quick fix

The prior owner of my 2670 proactively "fixed" any such risk by drilling a 1/4" hole in the side of the gray water tank near the top. Not too "kosher", but never any wetness on the bathroom floor.