Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Model Specific Forums > Sunline Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 08-10-2015, 02:01 PM   #1

SUN #7676
East Coast is an unknown quantity at this point
Post My list of questions...Thanks!

Hey folks,

Please feel free to move this post into another area if this is the appropriate location.
I very happy that I found this forum and greatly appreciate being able to ask several questions about a possible purchase. I've taken a look around and see that the group has some pretty knowledgeable folks who are eager to help. I've learned a great deal about the product line and it appears that they were well made.
I'm looking at a T-2499 Solaris, I think it’s a 2003 or 2004. Dealer trade in, one owner. So here are my questions, hope you guys can help.
-- probably the most important question I'd like to know is, if there are any known issues with the model or typical things to be on the lookout for? Obviously roof leaks are a major concern, but small ones tend to happen?
-- Since the company is now out of business, are parts readily available? I imagine that most things are standard items across manufacturers other than specific labeling, decorative, and such, otherwise aftermarket items work just fine?
-- Roof maintenance - How often is maintenance generally required? Is it normally re-caulking joints and such? I've been told that there is a specific caulk that should be used. Is there any other maintenance that needs to be done on the roof?
-- If the camper is going to be stored in a lot the majority of the time, should I invest in a cover to help protect it from the elements, snow, sun? It will be stowed in North Carolina and Virginia.
-- How difficult is it to do a brake job on electric brakes?
-- I need to buy a electric brake controller, is there a big difference in controllers, do I need to look for some specific feature? My truck is wired for it from the factory already.
-- I've noted some of the threads regarding insurance and all of the different circumstances to consider, I appreciate that info!
-- I've taken a look at the trailer specs and my belief is that my 2005 F-150 4X4, 125K miles, 5.4L engine, 3.73 rear gear ratio, 17" tires, with factory towing package will be fine to tow the trailer.
-- Finally, 25'-10" is a pretty good size box to haul around. I've given thought that maybe we should look at bit smaller, but then the thought of running out of room occurs and pulling is only to and from and then the rest is enjoying the time in and around the campsite. Any thoughts on this?
Any comments are greatly appreciated.

Old 08-10-2015, 09:52 PM   #2

SUN #4050
Wannabes is an unknown quantity at this point
Welcome to SOC, East Coast! One of the great things about the Sunline site is that you can do a search and find threads with pretty extensive answers to most of your questions such as roofing maintenance, storage issues, brake job & brake controller, insurance, etc. My husband and I have gotten a good education by reading the threads. I'm sure others will weigh in on some of your questions too.

-- The 2499 is a great layout, however, some models had an issue with the frame/tongue; once again there is a thread (or two) on this site about that. That being said, it's not just roof leaks you need to watch out for, it's any leak. So, look at and push on all surfaces, open drawers and smell, get a moisture meter and check for moisture. A small leak can cause major problems especially if left untreated.

-- We have a 2012 F-150 w/ the same specs & tow package that yours has. We felt that a 2499 might be at the top of what we want to tow, weight & tongue-weight-wise, especially if we want to travel out West sometime. There are people here (JohnB) who can give you a better idea as to what the F-150 can handle. While we really like the layout of the 2499, we have a 2363, which we love but then there's just the two of us when we go out camping.

-- Our 2363 is a 2002; in the three years we've owned it, we've never had any problems getting parts for it.

Hope this is helpful to you!

Matthew and Lisa
TT: '02 T-2363;
TV: 2012 Ford F-150, 4x4/Off-road, 5.0L V8, "Big Gray"
Reese Straitline w/ dual cam
Wannabes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 05:44 AM   #3

SUN #258
pwb01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Since you're buying from a dealer you might insist that it has new brakes and maybe even tires and that they service the furnace, refrigerator and water heater. Tires are only good for maybe 5 years and may have good tread after that time so they look good but need to be replaced. As for the brake controller, check ratings on line for the various manufactures. I used Prodigy and had no problems and it just plugged into my Ford. If you're new to trailer towing, make sure the dealer sets you up with the appropriate hitch with an equalizer system and that they spend time with you going over every aspect of care and use before you drive off. They should also install a brake controller and make the adjustments. As for the cover, I've never used one myself since all I think they really do is keep some dirt away and I'm going to clean the camper in the spring anyway. I do cover the A/C. Maybe there's more to them but make sure you buy one that's made to cover a trailer so they breathe properly or you'll trap moisture and cause mildew. Now insurance: most of what you need is covered by your auto insurance while on the road or by your homeowners when parked at home. If you park it for the winter someplace else make sure they are insured. Check your auto and homeowners to make sure they are notified properly. I have State Farm auto and have some additional RV insurance with them for about $175/yr to cover contents for example. You might also want to get towing insurance to include RV through AAA or Good Sam, about $120/year. I used it once and it would have cost $450 for the one incident. My last F150 was a 2008 with the Triton V8 with standard rear end gearing and it had a towing capacity of 7300# which should be enough for you but I wouldn't think you'd want to tow much more than the 2399 with it. You might check on your trucks specs.
2013 Rockwood 8280WS 5th wheel
2006 Sunline Solaris T-1950
pwb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 07:52 AM   #4

SUN #7676
East Coast is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks for the replies and advice! We passed on this one, but ended up with another. I'll post in the introduction forum. Thanks again for the replies!
Old 09-12-2015, 07:09 PM   #5

SUN #4081
Photokit is an unknown quantity at this point
You're so right about this forum. The folks here are friendly, informative and helpful. I'm glad I bought a sunny and I've had many questions about towing and renovation, solar and roofing answered here. Welcome

Tags
maintenance, parts, roof, t-2499, towing