Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Model Specific Forums > Sunline Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 07-27-2010, 03:55 PM   #1

SUN #1191
my2boys is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Insurance

I am currently looking for insurance for my TT. Is there any reccomendations as to a good company, my current auto/home carrier does not offer rv insurance. Roughly how much should i expect to pay?

Old 07-27-2010, 06:15 PM   #2

SUN #64
MACK C-85 is an unknown quantity at this point
Full Coverage from Progressive, including Replacement Value for the first five years, $380 per year. One claim on a storm damaged awning, handled with no complaints.

2004 Dodge Ram 2500 Club Cab 4x4 CTD
2007 Sunline Solaris T-276-SR: Misty Blue/Cherry
2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Reg Cab 4x4 OFF-ROAD
MACK C-85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 07:02 PM   #3

SUN #258
pwb01 is an unknown quantity at this point
My State Farm auto policy covers it while traveling and homeowners while parked at home. Then I get additional coverage from State Farm for $12.00 per month. This is not roadside assistance but for $40 per year added to my regular policy I have that through AAA.
2013 Rockwood 8280WS 5th wheel
2006 Sunline Solaris T-1950
pwb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 10:30 PM   #4

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
We have Progressive comp and liability replacement RV insurance. And I have extra personal added items to cover more personal stuff I have in the camper over the base amount. And since I had 1 new one and now 1 used one, they where slightly different.

On the new unit, Like Mack said, they have 5 year replace with new and after 5 years they pay you the total amount you paid for the camper if it is totaled.

When I bought the used one, I did not have the 5 year replace with new as it was not new when I bought it. 3 years old. But I got a declared value and that declared value I can get back 100% in the event of a total failure.

They also have dissapearing deductables. No claims in a certain time and then the deductable goes to nothing.

Foremost is another good RV insurer as well as Good Sams from what I have heard. I ran quotes from Foremost when I was researching and they where really close to Progressive. I never compared Good Sams.

You really want RV insurance that is made for an RV. That way it is covered where ever it goes including unhooked in the camp ground. Since your unit is used, you most likely are going to need to do like I did, needing a declared value at the time you acquired it. This type of policy allows the camper to be deprecation proof. These things are treated like auto’s in that respect. If you do not have RV insurance, if it is 10 years old and get’s totaled they may only pay what ever a 10 year old camper is worth pending if it is hitched to an auto. And even on home owners, if you go that route, check you may need to list it separate and pay a small adder just for that toy.

This one takes some research, but start with RV insurance and just ask the agent, what happens if a propane tank explodes, takes out my camper and the one next to me? Do you cover that? Or when I an unhooked in a camp ground and a tree fall on my camper, do you cover the damage?

When we bought our new pop up I did not know about RV insurance. So I called Nationwide my auto agent and ask to add it. About ~$40 a year no problem. Then when I bought the TT, gee I have a lot more invested here I better research this. I’m glad I never needed to issue a claim on the PU as if I it was not hooked to the truck, I had no coverage in a campground or anywhere that was not on my home property for comprehensive.

Good luck and hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 04:47 PM   #5

SUN #67
264SRinPA
We just switched to Blue Sky RV Insurance. Full purchase price if totaled, personal belongings, 0 deductible on awning damage, vacation liability, less than $200 a year. When we talked to Progressive they said they no longer do declared value on rv's, and this is one of the things we wanted. Good Sam wanted $600 a year.
Sunlines= '06-2075, '06-264SR
264SRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 05:33 PM   #6

SUN #89
Quote:
Originally Posted by 264SRinPA View Post
We just switched to Blue Sky RV Insurance. Full purchase price if totaled, personal belongings, 0 deductible on awning damage, vacation liability, less than $200 a year. When we talked to Progressive they said they no longer do declared value on rv's, and this is one of the things we wanted. Good Sam wanted $600 a year.

Mike, thanks for passing on the info on Progressive. It does not affect me, yet anyway, as I have the policy in place. So what is it they do on a used camper?

However you bring up a good question. If you bought a camper new, had RV insurance, then 6 years later you want to switch companies. Well now to the new insurance company you have a used camper. How would they rate this? Do you take a mega drop in allowed coverage and reset the value based on the year you start with them? Or since you bought it new 6 years ago, they at least use that value?

While mine was not new, I got a good deal in sales price and was able to show that the value of the camper was more then I paid. However it was not a replace with new as that was about $10K more value. In my case I at least covered all costs I paid for the unit and a little more and then that value stays put until I stop paying for it.

Good question if someone wants to change insurance.

John

Old 07-29-2010, 10:05 AM   #7

SUN #973
DianeScraps
Send a message via Yahoo to DianeScraps
Re: Covering personal stuff in the trailer

Double check with your homeowners / renters insurance - but you should have at least 10% of your current homeowners / renters insurance to cover your personal property at other locations (which should include in RV, Dorm rooms, office, etc) So that may be an extra coverage that you are paying for that you already have covered.

1999 T2970 Sunline, Retired 2015

Current Camper is a 2016 Starcraft 28QBS
DianeScraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 02:11 PM   #8

SUN #4081
Photokit is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi all, I'm new to this forum and appreciate all of your comments about insurance. I took a look at progressive and AARP too and see that its not too difficult to insure my Sunline 18 footer and the contents. What about while towing? Have most of you added a rider onto your current auto insurance plan?
Old 07-18-2012, 04:54 PM   #9

SUN #973
DianeScraps
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photokit View Post
Hi all, I'm new to this forum and appreciate all of your comments about insurance. I took a look at progressive and AARP too and see that its not too difficult to insure my Sunline 18 footer and the contents. What about while towing? Have most of you added a rider onto your current auto insurance plan?
Contact your auto insurance agent for verification in your state, but I believe your auto policy should extend liability coverage to the trailer, but only while it is being towed.

Old 07-18-2012, 07:28 PM   #10

SUN #89
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeScraps View Post
Contact your auto insurance agent for verification in your state, but I believe your auto policy should extend liability coverage to the trailer, but only while it is being towed.
Yes I agree. Here in Ohio while the camper is hooked to the truck, the truck covers it. When it is unhooked the auto policy does nothing. That is why we RV insurance is needed.

And with Progressive, if my camper gets in an accident while I'm towing it, it is covered. So I have coverage by the auto policy and if they do not cover it, the RV policy will even when we are towing.

We had a member a while back have a total loss from a towing accident. This prompted me to verify on my RV policy that I can still collect the replacement cost of the camper I'm insured for even if it is a towing accident. Odds are high the auto policy would depreciate the camper all the way back to a 2004 in my case and pay out very little. The RV policy would pay out the full amount insured.

Best is to call and confirm from your auto policy holder what they will and will not cover. Then ask your RV policy holder the same questions.

Old 07-21-2012, 07:54 PM   #11

SUN #258
pwb01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeScraps View Post
Re: Covering personal stuff in the trailer

Double check with your homeowners / renters insurance - but you should have at least 10% of your current homeowners / renters insurance to cover your personal property at other locations (which should include in RV, Dorm rooms, office, etc) So that may be an extra coverage that you are paying for that you already have covered.
That's true. I have home, auto and RV with the same company so there's no duplication and the additional for the RV is minimal.
2013 Rockwood 8280WS 5th wheel
2006 Sunline Solaris T-1950
pwb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 09:36 PM   #12

SUN #973
DianeScraps
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwb01 View Post
That's true. I have home, auto and RV with the same company so there's no duplication and the additional for the RV is minimal.

We have done the same - much easier to keep track of things too!