Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Model Specific Forums > Sunline Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 05-08-2015, 08:31 PM   #1

SUN #7146
kcmedic33 is an unknown quantity at this point
How to hook up a battery to this 1996 t2670

Hello,
I have a 1996 T2670 Sunline and I'm wondering how to hook up a battery to it. I'm putting on a few pictures. I have a white wire that comes out of the trailer which I'm assuming hooks to the negative. Then ive read that the black goes to the positive. Problem is the black looks like it goes up and hooks into the trailer plug to the vehicle. There is a red wire with some kind switch and a clamp to go over a battery. I would think that would go on the positive terminal. What do you guys think?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20150508_19644.jpg (69.5 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20150508_1167.jpg (57.1 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20150508_46281.jpg (35.4 KB, 5 views)

Old 05-09-2015, 06:00 PM   #2

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
That's kind of hooky most likely the red wire goes to the power panel in the camper and the switch probably does go to the battery on the other end. There is a wire that does go to the trailer plug to recieve a charge from the TV.

Old 05-10-2015, 05:45 AM   #3

SUN #6257
JerryJ is an unknown quantity at this point
If it was mine I think I would start from scratch. Most of us bought our trailers used and it's anyone's guess who the previous owner was. Too many well intentioned previous owners don't necessarily go by the book when it comes to wiring. I would trace each wire to the target (what its purpose is) that it supplies. EG: separate each of the trailer towing lights and tag them. Lights: left, right, marker. Brakes and 12VDC.
We all know that some people will use what ever wiring they have hanging around and while it's hooked up correctly, the colors of the wires are not in theory or code. A leftover green is poor example for positive (just saying).

Open up the compartments inside the trailer. I think Mainah is correct but it's important for you to know your trailer and where everything goes. Once you figure everything is correct and in its place then you can make a list of wiring or plumbing and adhere it to inside a cupboard door for future reference. Understanding your wiring layout is an asset for you.

This is also a great opportunity for you to check the connectivity of the wires to each other. Are there any twisted wire connections (ewwwww)
Use proper connecting methods. Many of us here prefer soldering and heat shrink. Even crimped connections are fine but still solder and heat shrink when and where possible. Avoid using electrical tape because most of the time it doesn't stick the way you want it to. Butyl tape tightly wound is best, better insulation and keeps moisture out (for the most part)

Jerry & Debbie
Ford Explorer 4.6 Triton V8, AWD, 4x4
1985 Sunline Saturn T-1350
Ham radio VE3JCJ, VHF, UHF and HF
JerryJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 09:09 AM   #4

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
Here is how it is supposed to work. Brake safety switch directly connected to the battery + camper acc. wire connected to the battery + with a 30 amp fuse TV charging connected to the battery + with a 30 amp fuse going to the number 4 terminal on the 7 pin plug. What you have to understand any one that has twisted two wires together and it worked become an "expert" at wiring so colors go out the window on any thing that has been tinkered Red should be a + wire Black should be a + wire and white should be a - wire. The switch thing all though is not a bad thing is not really necessary and what I would do is buy one that connects to the battery post and land all of your + wires on it's output. I leave my batteries connected because I leave them on the 3 stage charger many campers have a battery disconnect but it is properly wired and mounted.