Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Model Specific Forums > Sunline Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 08-29-2007, 06:27 AM   #1

SUN #368
Marylyn
Generators --- And Gas Cans ---

I think I've settled on a Honda EU2000 as a generator, this worked for the previous owner of my 1740, ran the AC and all, and I like the compact size and weight.

Now my question is: where does everyone carry the gas for their generators for travel trailers, and do you carry gas in the trailer or the tow vehicle - or wait to get to your destination and make a run out for gas? I know this last sounds ridiculous, but inquiring minds want to know. Which gas cans are the favorites, especially if travelling with the gas? I've been looking at the Safety cans... thinking two 2 gallon ones would be more manageable...

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
Marylyn

Old 08-29-2007, 06:46 AM   #2

SUN #300
DF5.4 is an unknown quantity at this point
What are you using as a TV? If it an SUV I wouldn't carry any gas cans in it for a long time. If it's a pickup you could carry the gas in the bed. I don't think I would want to carry gas in the trailer for very long.

1999 T-2970 Solaris SE
2007 Ford Expedition

DF5.4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 07:08 AM   #3

SUN #258
pwb01 is an unknown quantity at this point
If I needed an air conditioner while dry camping I'd consider a generator myself but I do not and two good batteries last me 5 days. I can charge them with my TV in 90 minutes if necessary. That way gas is not a problem nor the cost of a very expensive 2000w generator at more than twice the cost of a (noisy) 7500 watt home emergency generator which I do have at home.

Many campsites have restrictions on hours of use of a generator.

The Honda seems to be a very good generator. Careful, it is only about 1600 watts running (2000 peak) so an A/C is pushing the limit. (13 amps, you probably need 10 or 11 for A/C) It is excellent for charging a 12 v battery in a short time. There are many others at 59db and EPA approved with over 2000 watts for less than half the cost but with only 10 or 14 amps 12v charging instead of the 96 amps the Honda has. If the purpose of your generator is to power the unit and not as much to charge the battery, check them out. Google "small generators" and you'll find some brand names.

I would buy gas when I arrived to avoid carring it in any quantity but may have to deal with carring some home if not used and using stabilizer if not used in a few weeks.

I did some reserach myself considering a generator but concluded that I didn't really need one. My main reason would be to charge the battery and since my TV would charge them in the same time, I couldn't justify the cost.
2013 Rockwood 8280WS 5th wheel
2006 Sunline Solaris T-1950
pwb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 09:31 AM   #4

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
I'd recommend a small bolt on rack that you can bolt on your bumper to hold the gas cans. Nothing very big, but just enough for the cans. Remember, you can only carry up to 100 lbs., and if you have a spare tire, that will take up quite a bit of it. I don't think you'll have the weight allowance to carry the genny back there unless you have a custom rack built that it mounted directly to the frame.

Oh, one more thing, I noticed in your pics a while back that the TT was riding on quite an angle. You should see if you can adjust your hitch down any more, and if not, get a longer drop bar. They don't cost that much. Having the TT on such an angle will hurt gas mileage a lot (like it isn't bad already ) and risk the trailer scraping on a lot of driveways. You may not realize it, but it'll scrape quite a bit. When I took my 270SR to the dealer on Monday, the back skid wheels hit from just going over their storm drain, which was in a very slight hole. The bottom of the "bump" was about a 3" difference, and may I add right in the line of the tires on the RV entrance!

Jon
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 05:18 PM   #5

SUN #264
Steve Collins is an unknown quantity at this point
We have the same generator (Honda EU2000). It travels in the bed of the pickup. I found that a inverted large Rubbermaid plastic tote bin fits over the generator perfectly and makes it weather proof for travel in any weather. The lid of the tote gets tossed in the TT while on the road.

If we don't have the boat with us, we just carry a 2 gallon gas can. If the boat goes along, there are usually several 5.5 gallon cans so gas for the gennie is no problem. I refuse to pay marina prices for gasoline, so I haul it from from regular gas stations. We usually get the gas when we go for groceries, so it's not a special trip.

The Honda EU2000 does NOT have enough power to drive your A/C. You'll need at least a EU3000 or bigger.

We take the generator so we can run the microwave, wife's hair dryer, charge some of our electronics, and run the electric mixer in the kitchen. Yeah, I know we have to time things to generator hours, but it's worth it to us.

And, with the Honda, we're not annoying even our closest neighbors. Several of our neighbors had "cheapie" 1000 or 2000 watt gennies, and they could be heard dozens of campsites away - not good IMHO.

I would not have a problem carrying the generator in the TT if I didn't have a pickup truck, but would be very leery of carrying gasoline in either the TT or an enclosed tow vehicle. The Honda generator has an "off" position on the gas cap that prevents spillage even if the gennie is laid on its side.

Maybe a small gas can could be secured to the A frame of the TT?

'12 F250 4x4 Super Duty PowerStroke 6.7 diesel
2011 to present: '11 Cougar 326MKS
1999 to 2011: '99 Sunline T-2453
SUN264 * Amateur Radio kd2iat monitoring 146.52
Steve Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 05:55 PM   #6

SUN #368
Marylyn
Aha! Outside but connected to the trailer! I'll see if I can manage to get it on the tongue (the gas can) along with the battery and the two 30 lb propane tanks.

I will carry the gennie inside my Excursion. Thanks for mentioning the angle; the previous owner of the 1740 and I did all the hooking up with my new hitch stuff in the pouring rain the day I took that photo. For that photo, the whole thing was sitting in the yard of 84RV, where I had to get a NYS safety inspection...I left it that day and came back this week to have the rest of the hitch properly installed, so everything is running well now.

It's funny, when I left the RV place, the brakes were grabbing really fast and making noise. I called and they said that was okay. By the time I got to Roscoe, where I'm spending the rest of the week, my neighbor came out as I was passing to tell me he'd adjust my brakes because they were really hot. Who knew the brake controller in my truck had adjustments I could make?

So this same neighbor came up this morning to teach me about my little trailer, check to make sure everything is working...what a neat trailer! Just wish that floor wasn't all soft, I can see it's going to have to be replaced, it's a good thing I brought a table saw up with me (so someone can get to it!)

I think I'm going to offer it as the guesthouse for our overflow family at our Labor day barbeque It's the only housing up here with AC, so it should be a popular choice! Of course, DH has offered to stay with me. He has not yet seen this in person, though...he only saw the wide angle lens enhanced photos I took yesterday

Okay, I just checked the tongue. Unless I move the battery over so it's not in the center, there is no room for even a 2 gallon can, but I may try it on the back bumper. Now I'll look for a really good rectangular 2 gallon can. The RV place also has trays with tie downs intended for gas carry inside or in the "basement"...the trays are secured to the walls, the cans are secured with straps. It's a thought
Old 08-29-2007, 07:42 PM   #7

SUN #292
Honda03842 is an unknown quantity at this point
Gas Can

I carry a 1.5 gallon can behind my Spare Tire. Really a good place because it's protected by my bumper mounted tire.

I find if I'm traveling I buy gas every day. If I'm stationary, I'm out and about in my Tow vehicle every other day.

Plenty for me when there's an equal amount in the generator. I find I run my generator no more than an hour a day. Of course I'm never anywhere that I need an air conditioner.

A Honda 2000 at full load can run for four hours on a tankful, about a gallon.

Norm
Old 08-29-2007, 08:23 PM   #8

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
I’m not trying to upset the apple cart here, but just pass along some of what I have found trying to find out where it is legal to mount my spare 5# propane cylinder.

I caution the mounting of a gasoline storage container on the rear of a TT. The back of a TT gets bounced pretty hard back there as most have no shocks and the distance from the rear axle greatly multiples up the bounce. The liquid in the can will get sloshed around in the can pretty hard and build pressure.

I have found before that it is illegal to mount a propane tank on the back of and RV. I found it in a National Transportation regulation. I can’t seem to put my hand on it right now but have found quickly this Canadian one.

Here they are talking about carrying propane on the rear of a TT.
http://www.propane.ca/CleanTruth/recreational.asp

I know this is propane and not gasoline in a can. However gasoline can present the same issue if not even more as the can it self is not as rugged as a LP gas cylinder.

Point in all this, caution on mounting a gasoline storage can on the back of an RV. It may not be legal. Check it out first.

Hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 09:01 PM   #9

SUN #264
Steve Collins is an unknown quantity at this point
JohnB is right about the propane mounting regulations. Basically, the A frame is the only place you can legally (and safely) mount a tank on a TT like a Sunline. I understand that you can also mount LPG tanks in a properly ventilated compartment too, but I believe that they have to meet stringent standards.

I know many folks may tuck an extra propane tank inside the TT, but I think that is tempting fate a bit too much.

Luckily, we have always used pickup trucks for TV's (no caps) and can safely secure extra fuel containers in the bed of the truck.

I have enough space on my A frame for two battery boxes, side by side, sized for the very common 24F battery size. Right now, there's only one battery, but two boxes. I am using the second one as a little storage container.

My 2 gallon gas can is just a bit too wide to nestle in the rails of the battery holder, and the 1 gallon can that I have is too narrow, although that could be fixed with a piece of plywood to create a floor between the rails.

'12 F250 4x4 Super Duty PowerStroke 6.7 diesel
2011 to present: '11 Cougar 326MKS
1999 to 2011: '99 Sunline T-2453
SUN264 * Amateur Radio kd2iat monitoring 146.52
Steve Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 09:17 PM   #10

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB
I’m not trying to upset the apple cart here, but just pass along some of what I have found trying to find out where it is legal to mount my spare 5# propane cylinder.

I caution the mounting of a gasoline storage container on the rear of a TT. The back of a TT gets bounced pretty hard back there as most have no shocks and the distance from the rear axle greatly multiples up the bounce. The liquid in the can will get sloshed around in the can pretty hard and build pressure.

I have found before that it is illegal to mount a propane tank on the back of and RV. I found it in a National Transportation regulation. I can’t seem to put my hand on it right now but have found quickly this Canadian one.

Here they are talking about carrying propane on the rear of a TT.
http://www.propane.ca/CleanTruth/recreational.asp

I know this is propane and not gasoline in a can. However gasoline can present the same issue if not even more as the can it self is not as rugged as a LP gas cylinder.

Point in all this, caution on mounting a gasoline storage can on the back of an RV. It may not be legal. Check it out first.

Hope this helps

John
That's a good point, John. If I were to carry gas cans on the back, I think I'd fill them up just before pulling into camp. Having a rack on the back would provide a good short-term traveling spot. When my Dad goes hunting with the toy hauler, we always fill up the onboard tanks just before entering the woods. When we took the Sunline's, we filled up the 5 gallon gas cans just before entering the woods, but those were hauled in utility trailer. After all, why waste more gas hauling full gas cans when you can fill up later. Even if the price is higher, it could equal out depending on how much you would haul.

Jon
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 04:20 AM   #11

SUN #368
Marylyn
Okay, sounds like an empty can on the tongue is going to be the way I prepare to carry my gas. Considering I never really thought about the tongue before, I'm pretty happy about the idea. Of course, empty on the rear bumper behind the spare would also work in this instance. The first trip I need to make will be to a dog show in a relatively urban area, so there will be gas stations everywhere, and I probably won't need the gennie until well after I unhitch anyhow.

Thanks!

BTW, newest photos of little 1740 from today and this evening (wide angle lens enhanced and surprisingly cozy in light of the fact that the coyotes were really restless in the woods behind me as I took the photos):

Old 09-04-2007, 09:25 PM   #12

SUN #115
emam
Dont know if this will help, but after I saw the picture of the front of your TT. I thought you have plenty of room for one of these up beside the battery. If you really needed a lot of fuel, you could mount one on each side or carry water on one side and fuel on the other. Just a thought.

This could always be mounted to the back of the bumper and you would probably still be under the 100lb weight limit

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...n-Carrier.aspx

Or you could mount a receiver on the back and haul the genny back there, with a fuel can in a milk crate strapped beside it. That's the way we had ours designed, we just havent needed the genny yet, so it holds hoses and the camp mat.

Good Luck

Pat

Pat & Cindy Bonish
www.everymilesamemory.com
www.lowkeyhideaway.com
emam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 05:12 PM   #13

SUN #446
Perry
On the subject of small, quiet generators, I was looking for something to power the AC on my boat and starting doing some research. The Honda mentioned above came up quite often, but I was concerned that it may not be sufficient to power my 16,5000 BTU marine unit. Then I discovered that there is a kit that allows you use two of the Hondas together. The price of the kit plus 2 generators was way out of my ballpark. Then I came across the Yamaha EF2400iS. It is about the same cost as the Honda, has nearly the power output of 2 of them, but doesn't weigh twice as much (70 lbs vs. 100 lbs for 2 Hondas). It is extremely quiet. There wasn't alot of information about them as I guess they are fairly new to the market. I did find one excellent review by an owner who did a thorough battery of RV tests and documented them on his web site. Here is the link for anyone who is interested:

http://www.2manytoyz.com/yamaha2400.html

I purchased one for the boat and just bought a 1998 T-2753 today that I plan to use the Yamaha with. I'm also going to need to carry fuel as I will be going places that aren't close to gas stations. I'll definitely be checking out the suggestions here. Good stuff.