Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Model Specific Forums > Sunline Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 03-09-2016, 11:32 AM   #1
Apg

SUN #8148
Apg is an unknown quantity at this point
Gas/elec shutoffs

I was just wondering if the gas tanks and battery need shut off the man I purchased it from said there is no reason to turn off the tanks but that didn't really sound right to me but then again I know nothing about campers and I know the cover is really hard to get off.

Old 03-09-2016, 06:12 PM   #2

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
Some do some don't. Me I'm a don't. That might make an interesting pole.

Old 03-09-2016, 07:28 PM   #3

SUN #768
Gene is an unknown quantity at this point
I turn off the gas between trips if it will be more than a week or so before I use it again. I leave the shore power and battery connected all the time.

I don't think there is any "right" way, just what works for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainah View Post
... That might make an interesting pole.
Yes, it would.

Gene & DW Ginny
2002 Sunline T-2363
2008 Toyota 4-runner 4wd 4.7L V-8
Reese Dual Cam straightline - P3 Brake controller
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 08:15 AM   #4

SUN #2366
j52wf is an unknown quantity at this point
You can buy a replacement cover with an access door to the gas shutoffs.
Old 03-11-2016, 08:25 PM   #5

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi APG,

Not knowing the context of your question, I'll add some to this

On the battery, I thought you had a 2006 model, is that correct? If so there is a battery disconnect switch on the A frame header behind the battery. If you are storing the camper and not plugged into 120 VAC shore line power, you should turn the battery off. The LP detector is wired live and will drain your battery over a few weeks. And then there are other things that get left on, like the TV antenna power boaster that uses power. That you can turn off, if you remember.

As to the LP, if you are not using the camper because it is stored or you are towing it and not using the LP, turning it off adds a level of safety and knowing the tank will be at the level you left it at. From my experiences on failed RV LP gas components, I turn the LP off when not not camping in the camper. Gas components for inside your home or industrial, not a problem leaving them on, but they also do not tow down the road like an RV does and they cost more which in this case, equates to higher quality.

Hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 05:41 AM   #6

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeah the battery is an issue either keep it on charge (with a modern charger system) or bring it inside over the winter. When I redid my camper all the gas fittings were redone also double flared secured etc it just was part of my rebuild. The pressure is not real great and I feel confident that it's sound. I use my camper ever so often as a guest house even in the winter (it's in my barn) I like to just turn on the furnace and have heat but that's just me what ever feels right to an individual is exactly right for them.
Old 03-12-2016, 08:00 PM   #7

SUN #701
Thomas A
I do not turn the gas off at anytime. Don't know why, but in over 40 years of trailers, I just never did. The battery I leave in it's box on the trailer and do not disconnect it. I am fortunate to have a pad on the property where I park the trailer (model 2553) and I am in it nearly every day, including the winter. If the lights begin to dim, I plug into house power and charge it for several days, then unplug it again. Not right or wrong, just the way I do it and it works fine for me. In addition, there are no surprises in the spring.

Tags
gas lines, new owner