Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Model Specific Forums > Sunline Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 12-13-2012, 09:26 PM   #1

SUN #1340
Drake is an unknown quantity at this point
Furnace repair/rebuild

Okay, so come spring, my first project is going to be to pull the furnace out of my 1988 - T32 . The furnace sounds like a threshing machine when you start it. I am sure that part of it is rodent related. We got rid of the mice, but I am afraid of what they left behind in those air ducts and furnace intakes and outlets. So I want to pull this unit out, throw it on the workbench and do a rebuild on it if possible. I would appreciate, advice and tips on the pulling it out process and the rebuild if any of you folks have done this mantenance chore.

Old 12-14-2012, 06:28 AM   #2

SUN #4040
jim44646 is an unknown quantity at this point
Sounds like that would be a good winter project. Then it will be ready to use in spring.

Firestone Transforce AT tires
Reese Dual Cam Sway Control
jim44646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:15 AM   #3

SUN #1830
Jim-Bev-2363 is an unknown quantity at this point
That is a good small project that can be done on the coffee table while watching TV.
Jim-Bev-2363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:34 AM   #4

SUN #1340
Right, I can see my wife agreeing to the coffee table/workbench transformation! My camper is permanantly located 300 miles away so, unless I pull the furnace out and bring it home with me, I need to do it on site. Have any of you owners ever done a rebuild???
I can heat the trailer with a little space heater, so, I really don't need the furnace, but 1.) I need a project; 2.) I hate that it doesn't work; 3.) I need to clean all those ducts and the furnace of any rodent leftovers anyway.
Old 12-14-2012, 02:03 PM   #5

SUN #1830
Drake, You could tell your wife you will be sure to spread newspaper to keep things neat.

Seriously, I did have mud daubers build their nests in a heater, in the firebox. I was able to do that all from outside the camper, a newer one than yours so I don't know about your specific model. Hopefully someone has fixed or replaced your style heater.
Old 12-14-2012, 02:48 PM   #6

SUN #4040
jim44646 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim-Bev-2363 View Post
Drake, You could tell your wife you will be sure to spread newspaper to keep things neat.

Seriously, I did have mud daubers build their nests in a heater, in the firebox. I was able to do that all from outside the camper, a newer one than yours so I don't know about your specific model. Hopefully someone has fixed or replaced your style heater.
It helps to install a Furnace insect screen on your exaust. Keeps bugs and critters out
Furnace Insect Screens to Protect your RV - PPL Motor Homes
Firestone Transforce AT tires
Reese Dual Cam Sway Control
jim44646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:21 PM   #7

SUN #1830
Jim, Screens are a good thing but this one on a friends trailer. Can't get everyone do what is best.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:13 PM   #8

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
It's not so bad some come out easy some fight you all mostly where the exhaust flange fits into the furnace. They all are about the same you do have to remove the screws on the outside. A good RV place should have all the gaskets so you can take the burner assembly out and clean it and all around the inside . Me I would replace the igniter board there are about $80 and if you are real handy dismantal the blower motor clean the shaft up and grease the bearings. Check the sail switch and make sure it moves freely and put it all back together.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:38 PM   #9

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi Drake,

I have been all the way to the bottom of one. There is a story behind that too...

I second what Mainah stated. The flange gaskets to the side of the camper can really be stuck on there. A good seal will be that hard. Yours being older may not have much stick or be really stuck...

For sure you need all new gaskets inside the furnace. When you take it apart they will rip and need to be air tight when you put it back together.

Find your model and serial number and get all the gaskets before you start the tear down. They do not cost that much and there are not many of them.

I would add one additional thing to check, when you have the heat chamber/combustion chamber totally apart, check it for rust holes through the chamber. If that leaks that can be bad news. If you have shop vac where you can put the blower hose on it to blow, seal off one end of the heat chamber with duct tape etc and tape the vac hose to the other port and let the shop vac put a slight pressure inside. You can feel over it for air holes, tissue paper test or mist with soapy water. If you go wet, dry it off well once done. Having an old camper, time and corrosion may have created a pin hole. And 4 legged furry friends add another element of issues.

I also agree with the Mud Dauber screens. My sons used PU was jam packed in his fridge burner. Took it all part, cleaned it up and it works fine but they can really create a mess.

The furnace is not that hard to take apart once it is out of the camper.

Good luck

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 12:36 PM   #10

SUN #1340
Thanks Sunline do-it yourselfers! I will go up, rip 'er out, throw 'er on the bench and see what is what. I think, I'll pull it out, get all the info for gasket reference, buy all the gaskets, and then put it all back together again on the next trip. Thanks again for all the good advice and words from experience.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:52 AM   #11

SUN #4662
Mvoice1 is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a 1975 10' camper i am starting to renovate, where can i buy parts for the trailer, i think i need a new furnace? How can i check?
Old 12-29-2012, 09:53 AM   #12

SUN #4662
Where can i find parts for this trailer in general?
Old 12-29-2012, 10:39 AM   #13

SUN #89
Hi Mvoice1,

Welcome to Sunline Owners Club!

Is your camper a Sunline? If so what model? This will help us give better answers to your questions as we have some new club members who have other brands of camper.

For any of the appliances or most anything not made by the camper manufacture, we have been able to track down parts and replacements at both camping stores and on line parts places. You are not going to find everything at one place, more like many places.

I have been able to hunt down just about anything on the web. In only a few cases I had to go to the manufacture or a RV dealer.

Need more detail info on what you are looking for as there may be many places to hunt at. Some times parts have been discontinued but there is always some kind of work around or upgrade.

The camper manufacture created a floor plan, built the structure using a lot of commercially available components. Sort of like building a house. We can help point you where the commercially available components may be located.

If you have a Sunline, some of the Sunline unique and only things they had custom made are decals, fender skirts, door benzels and custom camper end caps like on the big 5th wheels to name a few. All the wood working they built themselves or bought built custom for them. Again we have found work arounds for most everything.

Hope this helps and good luck

John

Old 12-29-2012, 11:10 PM   #14

SUN #4662
Thanking you

Thank you john, i just bought it, it is 10 ft long , 1975 trailer, where would i find the model number?, i built a few teardrop trailers, and am about to venture itno rebuilding this little baby, just wondering whe to find parts. Nybhelp wouldx be appreciated, once agin thankx
Mike
Old 12-30-2012, 10:05 AM   #15

SUN #89
Hi Mike,

If your camper is a Sunline, look here in a 1975 brochure. You can back into the camper model number by the size and floor plan.

This is a link to the "Files" section of our forum. See the words on the tab looking things along the top of the forum screen. They are actually click-able tabs. Once in the files section, hit on "Sunline Brochures" Then keep scrolling and next page to 1975. Then download a copy of the 75 camper brochure. Match up the floor plan to the model number.

Sunline Coach Owner's Club - Sunline Owner's Files

There are a lot of other good links in the files section. Also check out these 2 links which help a lot of new folks. These are from the FAQ forum on our site: Sunline Owners Club FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions) - Sunline Coach Owner's Club

http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f1...ics-11922.html

Sunline Articles - “How To” and DIY (Do It Yourself) Links

If you have a VIN number, on your title or on a sticker inside a cabinet in the camper, or stamped into the A frame up by the tongue, Sunline Fan can help decode some info from that VIN.

See here http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f1...ins-10948.html

Jon (Sunline Fan) is our resident historian and Sunline history Guru. He has been building a data base of info for members of all Sunlines.

Hope this helps and good luck

John

Old 12-30-2012, 10:37 AM   #16

SUN #4662
Model 12 1/2 MC

Update the trailer is 1975 12 1/2 mc currently it is gutted, I rebuilt the back wall, was there a bathroom in these? Does anyone else have one of these, I am currently renovating it, Could use help finding parts and appliances, Does it need holding tanks, Any possible way of installing a shower
Old 12-31-2012, 09:00 AM   #17

SUN #89
Hi Mvoice1

I could not find a 75 TT brochure but did see the 12 1/2 MC (mini compact) in the 1976 brochure. Sunline Fan must not have had a 75 brochure.

Wow, never knew they made them. 6'6" wide and a max weight of 2,210# makes it fit many small tow vehicles.

The brochure stated a marine toilet was optional and a shower option was NA. With this size camper one is just about into what Pop Up campers do. Installing a black holding tank on a camper this small is doable I'm sure however a portable toilet for middle of the night runs may be a simpler solution.

When we had our pop up we used one of these for middle of the night liquid waste. It was easy to clean, didn't take up a lot of room and fit our needs. Coleman even had cabinet next to the door to store it in. We bought our own though.
Portable potties, Sanitation Equipment Limited Potties

Ours was the 8 liter, Bought it at Wal-mart at the time. It was cheaper back then (2003). Amazon.com: Sanitation Equipment Passport Potty 8 Liter: Sports & Outdoors

For solid waste we used the campground rest rooms.

Showers in a little camper. This one is tougher, not impossible. If you go look at some of the top of the line Pop Ups they have a shower. It is more of a plastic curtain or folding hard sided room. Some times the toilet is in the same room with a drain basin in the bottom. I have never used one, only seen them. If you go to a RV show or Popup dealer you may be able to get some ideas on how to build one. They do eat up room in a small camper so it is always a trade off.

Some of the smaller, but bigger than the 12 1/2" MC that have a wet bath. The toilet, sink and shower were all in the same room. There are members here who have them, they may be able to point you to some pics of them.

Parts, there are hundreds of places for parts but it helps to know what it is you need.

Here are a few places to start. We can give better info if we know the exact part you are looking for and the make, model and serial number of the device you are trying to get.

I have used these places with positive results.

RV Parts and Accessories for Sale - PPL Motor Homes

RV Parts & Accessories | Plumbing, Electrical and RV Parts | Tweetys RV

RV Accessories, RV Parts, Motorhome Supplies, Camper Parts, RV Surge Protector, Blue Ox Baseplates, Camper Supplies - RVupgradestore.com

RV Supplies, RV Accessories & RV Parts for Motorhomes, Travel Trailers - Camping World

RV Stuff USA RV Accessories

RV Parts, RV Accessories RV Supplies Priced Low

RV Supplies, RV Accessories, RV Parts, Camper Parts, 5th Wheel Hitch

RV Parts RV Accessories RV Appliances RV Repair RV Service

For axles, running gear, DOT lights
Trailer hitch, hitches and bike rack (800)298-8924

These guys have axles parts and now lots more
Trailer Parts Superstore - Boat, RV & Utility

Southwest Wheel Company Steel and Aluminum Truck Wheels

That is a place to start. There are more, but again need to know what your looking for.

Since your doing a somewhat total rebuild on your Sunline, this is a very interesting topic. It would be very helpful to others and for you to get feedback on your rebuild process. Create a new post in the Maintenance and Repairs forum here on Sunline Owners Club. See here: Repairs and Maintenance - Sunline Coach Owner's Club

We have may folks doing rebuild of one type or another there. If you can take pictures and post them really help explain this better. While you may not know what they call it, we can see what you are up against and often time we can recognize it.

Good luck and hope this helps

John

Old 12-31-2012, 03:07 PM   #18

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
Hi Mvoice1

I could not find a 75 TT brochure but did see the 12 1/2 MC (mini compact) in the 1976 brochure. Sunline Fan must not have had a 75 brochure.
No, just the Orbiter TTs in 1975. I suspect this one may not be a '75 though. I'd need a VIN to believe it.

2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote