Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Model Specific Forums > Sunline Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 08-06-2018, 02:26 PM   #1

SUN #10771
KristenLee93 is an unknown quantity at this point
Couch Bed

We have '85 Sunline that we got about 2 years ago. We absolutely love it, except for the cushion for the couch that pulls out into a bed is very old and very thin. Typically no one sleeps on it, except for a time or two when family tag along. We have a trip coming up in about a week, and thought about using an extra air mattress we have on top of that bed for our guests. We are just unsure of how much weight that bed can hold. We never did get an owners manual for it, and every Google search has come up empty. I know an air mattress doesn't weigh all that much, but both the people coming with are of (not to be mean) pretty decent size. We just want to make sure the bed will hold them both and the air mattress. It's just your typical couch that pulls out into about a full size bed. Any answers would be appreciated!!

Old 08-07-2018, 08:27 AM   #2

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi Kristen,

As long as we're talking the couch bed, and air mattress on top should be no problem at all. Personally that's what I would do too. The weight limitation would be of the wood framing, which is pretty sturdy. I don't know what a weight limit would be on it, that info wouldn't have been in the owner's manual anyway, but I would guess upwards of 400 lbs. Luckily you don't have far to fall should it collapse, but unless there's water damage with it, I doubt that would happen.

The cabinet bunk(s), if you have them, where the cabinet looking thing folds down to create an upper bunk, are only rated at 100 lbs.

Another option to improve your couch, both for sitting and for sleeping, is to get new foam for it. Since you're from PA, we've had some members have good luck working with Page Foam in Johnstown. They were the original supplier of Sunline cushions in the '90s and '00s. I'm sure they could sew you new covers if you absolutely needed, but I think if you just gave them dimensions, they could sell you just new dense foam to put in the cushions. This would give you a much better surface that you wouldn't sink so far into. Here's Page Foam's consumer division: CamperMattress a Page Bedding Company

2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 03:59 PM   #3

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
4" memory foam. I use it on my Gatcho couch just roll it up and put it in the shower when not in use.