Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Model Specific Forums > Sunline Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 10-09-2015, 01:39 PM   #1

SUN #7858
SCOUT is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Can I leave some water in the fresh water tank?

Hi, everyone. I'm new to the camping world, and kind of lost trying to find where things are. I have a 1996 T-2053 Solaris. The Owner's Manual is no help with finding things like fuse boxes and drain plugs. If anyone can tell me where the plugs are to drain and winterize, I'd really appreciate a hand.

In the meantime, I know there is some water in the fresh water tank. If I open all the faucets and drain as much out as I can, would it be okay to put some bleach into the tank to keep bacteria from becoming a problem in the remaining water?

Thanks, guys.

Old 10-09-2015, 04:17 PM   #2

SUN #2366
j52wf is an unknown quantity at this point
You should flush some rv antifreeze in the fresh water tank so anything in the tank and lines and pump does not freeze in winter.

Old 10-09-2015, 06:37 PM   #3

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi Scout,

This should help you on winterizing. On the top of the forum page is a tab called ":Files" click it. It opens up a bunch of goodies with files for campers. You have to be logged in to down load and do not go too fast on multiple down loads as the system will tell you to slow down anyway...

In this subsection is how to winterize.
Sunline Coach Owner's Club - Sunline Owner's Files - Sunline Guides and Tips

In this subsection, under manuals, a fellow forum member uploaded a 1996 T2053 layout drawing from their owners manual that has the location of many of the items in the camper. This may help
Sunline Coach Owner's Club - Sunline Owner's Files - Sunline Owners Manuals

To your direct question, drain all the water out of the fresh tank for the end of the season. There is no need to leave water in there, it will spoil over time and there is a freeze problem. The bleach will not help keep it clean for very long. You will use a bleach treatment in the spring to sanitize. There is a procedure on how to do that too.

I normally do not add the food grade antifreeze to the fresh tank, but I have taken special precautions on my system to insure it will all drain. If you have a standard stock tank where the drain fitting is in the side of the tank, that may leave some water inside. The little amount water in the center of the tank, even if it freezes will not create problems. However water left in a fitting which is a closed up pipe etc, will have problems. If you find you cannot drain it dry, or your tank has some fittings that are full of water, then adding "some" food grade (RV antifreeze, pink) can help. It will take extra flushing come spring to get rid or it, but it is better then cracked piping. The tank drain is on the side of the tank. I do not know on your floor plan however crawl under and look up at the tank. There should be a small valve to drain the fresh tank. Odds are high on many models it has a hose to move the valve out towards the side of the camper. Again this is assuming the prior owner did not modify something. If you cannot figure it out, take pics and post and we can help see what you have.

While you are down under the camper.... look up at the bottom of the camper for 2 pipes hanging down. They would be 1/2" plastic pipes. Their location is floor plan specific. Those 2 pipes are your low point drains. Once you find those 2 pipes, then go inside the camper and look for the 2 valves on top of them that let water come out. Open the faucets to let air in and the water go out. There is also a drain plug on the Hot Water heater outside behind the cover.

Once all drained by gravity, then follow the winterizing procedure in the link about. The draining while it gets a lot of water out, will not protect agasint frozen piping. You need to winterize.

Ask away for any help on understanding what they are talking about in that winterize down load.

Hope this helps and good luck

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 09:56 AM   #4

SUN #7858
Smile Thanks!

Thanks again for the great explanations. I'll look for the drains you mentioned and try to get all the water out. Hope your weather is as nice as ours here in Georgia. Scout
Old 10-13-2015, 06:39 AM   #5

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
When I know I'm done for the season (often into Nov.) I open all the drains and faucet and then take the camper for a ride. I then use compressed air to finish the job the only anti freeze I use is about a 1/2 pint to fill the pump I hate that stuff.
Old 10-13-2015, 12:27 PM   #6

SUN #7858
Thanks

Thank you, Mainah