Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Model Specific Forums > Sunline Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 06-10-2007, 02:17 PM   #1

SUN #238
MikeM
bike carrier

Since I purchased my 2363 I have been trying to figure a good way to carry bicycles.

I think a carrier on top of my tv would be enough of a pain that I would not want to take the bikes on a trip.

Last trailer had a receiver hitch under the bumper and I could use my standard yakima receiver carrier. It was easy to load the bikes but they did bounce around quite a bit on the rear of the trailer.

I have seen the receiver type that bolts to the rear bumper but with a 100# weight restriction on the bumper I feel that would be an accident waiting to happen.

I tried putting one bike on the bed and one in a stand inside the trailer but they moved around and I was very lucky they did not scrape anything up.

I ran across a post the other day showing a carrier that bolts to the a frame of the trailer. Looks like it might be what I am looking for and as usual, it is very expensive.

http://www.toppoprails.com/trailer.htm

Anyone have any experience with this carrier or see it in action?

mike

Old 06-10-2007, 05:13 PM   #2

SUN #115
emam
I've heard from a few people over on the RV.Net forum that have it and they said they really liked it.

We looked into getting one, but Being as it's a bolt on unit and we have our batteries welded right where it needs to bolt on, we havent bought anything yet.

I've been doodling around with a few different ideas, and think I might have a friend weld something similar for me. But if we didnt have the batteries in the way, I would have bought the Top Rails unit already.

Pat

Pat & Cindy Bonish
www.everymilesamemory.com
www.lowkeyhideaway.com
emam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 07:48 AM   #3

SUN #98
PTHutch is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi Mike,

I've also have heard good things about those type of bike racks, though I don't have any personal experience with them. You may want to do a search on the RV.net forum.

If your trailer has a front window, I would look at if there is clearance to open the window rock shield with the bike rack installed on the A-Frame. It could be a pain if the bike rack inhibited the window's rock shield from being opened.

If you're only looking to carry 2 bikes, there was an Open Roads Forum post a few months ago that showed a very intersting method for carrying bikes inside the trailer. They used roof mount channel type bike holders to build it, which probably could be picked up on eBay.

Hutch
Sunlines: 2005 Solaris T-280SR; 1999 Solaris T-2670; 1998 Saturn T-24A
PTHutch is offline   Reply With Quote