Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Model Specific Forums > Sunline Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 07-29-2008, 05:00 PM   #1

SUN #660
rmstack
Battery

Has anyone had a problem with their battery in the battery box filling up with water and the box filling with water? I first discovered it in October 2006 ( I purchased my 2753 in June 2006), and since then I have drilled 4 holes in the botton, yet water is still getting in and leaking out which is causing rusting on the "L" channel that holds the battery. (I have quite a rust area on my driveway under the battery and a rust streak from it down the driveway). And the battery seems to be always full.

EX: I noticed that when I just took the battery out yesterday to repaint the channel for carryng the battery, that the battery had more fluid (battery acid) in it than when I installed it in May. (Am I to assume that when it rains, water gets in through the top air vents and enough seeps into the battery to fill it up?)

I'm puzzled. Any suggestions? I did look for a new case, but it was made the same way with 2 air vents on the top cover.

Thanks,
Rich

Old 07-29-2008, 05:37 PM   #2

SUN #292
Honda03842 is an unknown quantity at this point
ditto

I also had my battery box fill with water and like you drilled four holes in the bottom. I have not had the rust issue at least in over the year; I painted the frame with rustoleum which seems to stand up pretty well.

It's hard to imagine that water gets in the cells at least after you drilled the holes. We've had tons of rain here and I've never noticed it.

I'll keep my eye on the cell level to be sure.

Norm Milliard
1982 Sunline 15.5 SB
2004 Honda CRV

Old 07-29-2008, 07:51 PM   #3

SUN #225
Mark
Have you ruled out of the battery itself has a leak/crack which is letting water in (for a change).

2002 Chevy Silverado
2003 Sunline 2553
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 07:41 PM   #4

SUN #660
rmstack
I am certain that the battery is not cracked or it would have leaked out while in winter storage in the garage.

It just does not seem logical that there would be more fluid in the battery cells than what I made sure were in each cell when I installed it this spring.

I also noticed that the positive terminal was corroded when I removed it last week to repaint the battery holder brackets. It was not like that last year. Would the top of the battery being wet contribute to it corroding?

Thanks,
Rich
Old 07-30-2008, 10:34 PM   #5

SUN #599
Lode is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Lode
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmstack
Would the top of the battery being wet contribute to it corroding?
Yes, for sure. Any moisture turns to water vapor and saturates or humidifies the air inside the closed space. This water vapor is drawn to that connection when electricity runs through it. When it dries it deposits trace elements found in the water that react over time with the copper(or aluminum) The build up and corrosion causes the wire to lose continuity and eventually fail if unchecked.

If what you're seeing is a blue/white crystal build up, you've got a leak of acid that's reacting with your terminal, probably around the peg seal.(time to replace the battery imho)

To insure it won't happen again, even if it holds a little water still after drilling drain holes, remove the terminals and clean everything up with some battery terminal cleaner spray(there's home mixes you can find on the net using baking soda,etc) and resplice(cut an inch or so back on the wire to get to decent wiring again) them onto the terminal connectors using dielectric grease to coat everything. (some use vaseline) Should be no problem at all on your battery points that need worried about. The normal twice a year quick inspection when you're removing/reinstalling it for season start and end does the trick after that.

Take care,
Jason
Old 07-31-2008, 07:22 PM   #6

SUN #660
rmstack
Jason,

Thank you to a battery professional!

I did use baking soda but will complete the other sugggestions you offered tomorrow, and I'll be keeping a closer eye on it for the rest of the year.

I've had a trailer with a battery in a case since 1976 and have never experienced what I am experiencing now.

Thanks!

Rich