Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Model Specific Forums > Sunline Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 07-12-2009, 07:37 PM   #1

SUN #212
janetpowell
Bad JuJu

Ok Gang, soooo----our stay as Camp Hosts at First Landing State Park has been quite eventful....and expensive!!! But, the expense was mainly due to our truck. We did not replace it, so this trip we had some major repairs---pinion seal, rear differential, fuel pump and assorted belts. We were just beginning to recover when....
This evening there was a bad thunderstorm and our awning was destroyed!!! The good news seems to be that our CareFree screenroom has not been damaged.
My question is....as I deal with the insurance company and then attempt to get a replacement awning....any advice?????
You people always have the best advice and answers, so thank-you in advance!

janetpowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 08:00 PM   #2

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Janet and Fred

So sorry to hear about your truck and camper. The truck rear end went out, ouch. On the awning, hopefully it did not tear up the camper too.

I have nver dealt with an insurance claim on the camper so I’m not help there. What insurance company do you have? Is it RV replacement insurance hopefully?

Best of luck in a speedy recovery. Missed you at the M & G this year.

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 08:23 PM   #3

SUN #212
janetpowell
Ba JuJu

We have the Travel Trailer insured through State Farm. I called and started the claim. We should hear from an Adjuster tomorrow. I believe we either have none or $100 deductible. Our rationale was to cover the cost of an awning should the need arise. It occurred during a thunderstorm, and boy is it chewed up! It does not appear to have damaged the camper, nor our CareFree Screen room---thank goodness!!! Hopefully in the light of day tomorrow, it isn't any worse than it looked tonight. I have been looking at replacements and the only issue I see so far is that ours is 19 foot and most replacements are 18 and 20 foot. Our screenroom is 19 foot, so hopefully that is not a problem. Interestingly, we could not find any literature in our Sunline book about our awning. Everything else it seems, but that.
We have been looking to replace the truck, but hadn't made a decision. Now that we have put $$$$ into it, we'll drive it a bit longer and then probably trade it in for a 2009 when the 2010 come out. We knew we were pushing the limits of this truck, but were playing the odds...sometimes one loses.
We missed our Mexico time this year also, but some Family and health issues kept us away---boo! Next year.
Old 07-13-2009, 05:14 AM   #4

SUN #64
MACK C-85 is an unknown quantity at this point
We lost our awning in a thunderstorm, too. Broke the main roller in half at the hole for the rafter.

Word of warning to those with the rafter in the middle, if you drop one side of your awning to let the water run off, the rafter will cause a pool of water to form on the high side

Fortunately, we did not suffer any damage to the trailer, although many others did.

Anyhow we have Progressive RV Insurance and they replaced the entire awning less our $500 deductable. After filling the claim, they had us take it to a repair shop, they removed the remenants of the old awning so we could use the trailer while the replacement was on order. We took it back when the new awning came in and a day later we we're back in business.

2004 Dodge Ram 2500 Club Cab 4x4 CTD
2007 Sunline Solaris T-276-SR: Misty Blue/Cherry
2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Reg Cab 4x4 OFF-ROAD
MACK C-85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 07:09 AM   #5

SUN #212
janetpowell
Ba JuJu

Thanks for the happy ending. Except for the deductible, ouch! I think we have $100 deductible, but I'm not positive. It is the inconvenience of the situation mainly. We are Camp Hosts here for the next 2 months, so we have to tear down and move the camper. Ugh! I'll pass on what the Adjuster says today. Have a good one!
Old 07-13-2009, 08:17 AM   #6

SUN #64
MACK C-85 is an unknown quantity at this point
Since your in one spot, ask if the insurance adjuster can come to you. I've had State Farm Auto insurance at one time and they were ususally fairly accomodating.

At least you don't have to figure out how to get the now two piece roller and slightly ripped awning secured for the trip from Knobel's in Northern PA back to Central MD. We were able to hold the two pieces together and roll it back up into place. The rolled up fabric, together with the support of the rafter, held the roller straight enough that it snapped back into place and stayed there all the way home.

2004 Dodge Ram 2500 Club Cab 4x4 CTD
2007 Sunline Solaris T-276-SR: Misty Blue/Cherry
2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Reg Cab 4x4 OFF-ROAD
MACK C-85 is offline   Reply With Quote