Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Model Specific Forums > Sunline Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 08-19-2013, 08:47 AM   #1

SUN #4230
jess_martin is an unknown quantity at this point
Awning for 1982 13' Sunline

Hey There,

I have looked for the model number and I cannot find it, so forgive me for just referring to 13 footer. Anyone know the model number?

My camper doesn't have an awning, just the rail. I can sew so I've considered just doing that. Question is do I need anything else besides the fabric and poles?

Also, I have considered a roll-out awning, but cannot justify the cost especially for such an old camper. Has anyone had success buying those used from Craigslist, Ebay, or junkyard? If so, what parts will I need? I don't have any idea what all the pieces are called or what necessarily to search for besides "camper awning" and I feel like that is resulting only in replacement fabric results. What can I possibly expect to pay for something like that used?

Do you guys have an opinion either way about roll out awning vs. a bag awning? Especially if you were having to add it on...

Also, anyone else have a small camper like ours? I just have some general questions about how to best utilize space. Our last camping trip made us realize how much wall space and cupboard space goes unutilized. I would like some ideas/pictures on your set-up. We will be going to the beach for 6 days at the end of Sept and want to have a better set-up by then.

Thanks for any advice. It is greatly appreciated.

Old 08-19-2013, 09:59 AM   #2

SUN #4050
Wannabes is an unknown quantity at this point
Jessica,

Welcome to the SOC and congrats on your new-to-you Sunline. The smaller Sunlines are sooo cute!

Sorry I can't help with the awning but other members will be along to give you advice. As far as storage goes, this site is helpful:

Organizing storage

Andy Baird is one of those RVers who decided to exchange his "sticks-and-bricks" home to full-time in a 22' Lazy Daze motorhome. He's got a lot of interesting ideas for making the best of what space you have and they work for any size RV. If you go to "Contents" on the top of the "EurekaLive" page, you'll find a list of other ideas as well.

While our Sunline isn't small compared to yours, we've been camping for a year and experimenting with what and how to store things too. We use "Command" hooks to hang stuff and we just put wire shelving in two closets b/c we'd rather use shelves than hang most of our clothing. For pixs, see reply #209 on this link:

http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f6...-13617-15.html

Of course, that's just personal "taste" and a lot of how you use storage depends on both how much space you have (including what your max trailer weight is) and what you think is necessary to take camping. We've found that every time we go camping we learn something, whether from other campers or ourselves. And we're having fun learning... hope you do too!

Happy camping!

Matthew and Lisa
TT: '02 T-2363;
TV: 2012 Ford F-150, 4x4/Off-road, 5.0L V8, "Big Gray"
Reese Straitline w/ dual cam
Wannabes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:31 AM   #3

SUN #4230
jess_martin is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks Wannabes. This looks like hours of reading and planning. Oh my husband will regret me seeing this. Lots of projects for him, lol. For some reason I find all this planning and organization to be so much fun. I appreciate the advice!

Funding the dream, one stamp at a time:
www.etsy.com/shop/motherhoodjourney

jess_martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 05:58 AM   #4

SUN #4407
underdog is an unknown quantity at this point
Rollouts are expensive and you wouldn't get a very big one on a 13'. Perhaps as an alternative, consider a popup type tent that you could use for a patio.

Jim & Laurie
Pittsburgh Area
1990 StarRay T205
2005 Dodge Dakota V8 Tow pac.
1992 Gulfstream Ultra LE Mini 27'
underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 08:06 AM   #5

SUN #5245
Anita1 is an unknown quantity at this point
That's a mighty small camper. You might want to just stick an umbrella in a flag holder by the door.
Old 08-25-2013, 09:41 AM   #6

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
A Pop Up bag awning may work. They just slide on the awning rail and no other attachments to the camper. The come complete with all the poles etc.

My son bought a new one when he bought this used PU. I think it was like $300. The only issue is how high is the awning rail from the ground and how tall are you or who ever is going to put the awning up or down? On the PU, we started out with it down (about 4 feet off the ground) unzipped the bag then raise up the PU. When we had out PU, I did a few time deal with the awning bag zipper when the camper was up. While not impossible it was not as simple as being down at the 4 foot level.

Here is one manufacture
Carefree Folding Camping Trailer Patio Awnings

This will give you an idea of prices
Amazon.com: Camper Bag Awning

While those carefree awnings show have the pole to the side of the camper, they do not have to. See this one pic of my son's PU with the awning up.

Heads up, you have to tie and stake these down to the ground and have guy strings on them too or they will blow off the roof.

If this cost is OK for you, I think they make them 7 feet long and longer. Have to search around some

Hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, bag awning, organization, roll-up awning, small camper