Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Model Specific Forums > Sunline Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 04-28-2007, 11:15 PM   #1

SUN #108
40_Acre_Mule
Any Toy Hauler Owners Out There?

We've got a T3075 Trans Sport. This is our 3rd trailer in two years. We started RVing in 2005 with a new 2004 (been sitting on the lot for a year) 24ft Gulfstream Conquest. Never had any problems other than a ruptured toilet supply line. Everything worked good and we decided that having our own bedroom wherever we went was much nicer than staying in hotels.
Still the Conquest was a little small, and couldn't haul all the stuff we needed for our trips. So, after a year, we moved up (so we thought) to a 2006 Gulfstream Track & Trail 265R Toy Hauler. We quickly renamed it the "Nightmare." Everytime we went out, we found something wrong, or flimsy, or not attached, or broken, or breaking enroute. In the meantime, the Conquest, (which had been so good) took some damage in Hurricane Katrina.
We just couldn't stand the Nightmare, so DW did a lot of research of the internet. She couldn't find anything she was happy with. Then one day a Georgia RV dealer opened up a branch in Gulfport, MS. She stopped by and saw the Sunlines. She was sold on the quality immediately. She looked at the website and found the toy hauler. We ordered one. We traded in both the other trailers on it. The dealer took possession of the Conquest right away, but allowed us to keep the Nightmare until the Sunline was delivered. Then the dealer closed the branch due to a glut of Katrina and FEMA trailers in our area, before the new trailer came in. Finally they called to say the Sunline was ready. So, we had to drive from south Mississippi up to Atlanta, GA to drop off the Nightmare and pick up the Sunline.
Well, guess what the dealer told us when we sat down to sign the papers? Yup, they said Sunline was going out of business. The dealer was very good. They gave us the option of not buying the Sunline. We stayed in the Sunline overnight at the dealer to check it out and make sure everything worked.
We've been very pleased so far. After all that trouble, all we could think was that this trailer better be worth it. So far, so good.

Old 04-29-2007, 05:27 AM   #2

SUN #128
Tweety
Oh It's worth it. You're gonna LOVE that trailer ! We've owned a 1650 in 1985, a 2250 in 1991, and now a 2007 QUE. They were / are all terrific. We go to the huge RV show in Hershey regularly and there literally is nothing to compare.

2012 Arctic Fox 30U, SUNLINES - 2006 2753 "Tweety", 2007 QUE "QUEtSE", 2364, 1660
Tweety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 05:47 AM   #3

SUN #93
Poppy & Nana is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi 40-Acre-Mule....DH wants to know if it has a seperate sleeping area from the garage? We just bought a new 07 T2499 on Friday - take delivery next Saturday, but he would love to have a Toy Hauler....

We bought our 1st Sunline in 05 and love the quality of the unit......we just wanted a walk around bed....so we upgraded to another Sunline COACH.

Let me know about the seperate sleeping quarters.

Thanks,
We loved our 2007 T-2499
2010 Ford F-350 4x4 Lariat Super Crew Dually Diesel
Poppy & Nana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 08:55 AM   #4

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Welcome to the forum! I can't help you a whole lot on TS related issues, but I can with general toy hauler issues, as my dad has a '06 Weekend Warrior FS2600.

Kathy, the TS has a vapor-barrier wall between the back garage and the front part of the coach, with the bedroom all the way up front away from the storage area completely. We would have gotten the TS, but we needed as much "garage" space as we could get. We chose the WW because it was all open, which for the amount of "stuff" we haul, was necessary. I have heard that WW's are some of the best, but as usual, we found things wrong. I am very disappointed with the cheap particle board cabinets, etc. Their construction process is exactly opposite of Sunline: very, very heavy, and then you add all your "stuff" to it. All in all, it does get dragged 5 dirty miles back into state forest every October, through roads that this trailer shouldn't go on. So in a way I'm glad it's not a Sunline since it gets so abused.

Jon
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 11:17 AM   #5

SUN #67
264SRinPA
Yes the toy haulers do have separate sleeping quarters. There is a dealer near me that has 2 of them for $21,500
Sunlines= '06-2075, '06-264SR
264SRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 05:38 PM   #6

SUN #108
40_Acre_Mule
Okay, so what y'all are saying is...
None of y'all have a Sunline Toyhauler?

Yes, the garage is separate. There is a fixed wall between the garage and the bathroom. Because of that, the toy space is limited. You could probably get two mid-sized 4-wheelers in there, but it would be tight. It holds our Harley easily, but that's not what we normally use it for.
Some of our "special" items:
Extra overhead cabinets installed on one wall in the garage area
Side entry door for the garage area
Pull-down screen for ramp door in garage area
2nd fresh water tank
Onboard generator
Full walk-on roof
Front window

So far, we really like it. My wife loves it. We haven't found a single error or flaw in a dozen uses. So far, our longest stay has been a 4-nighter.
Old 05-03-2007, 07:54 AM   #7

SUN #196
tinybluetj
so, then, what do you normally use it for? Just curious!
Old 05-03-2007, 07:56 AM   #8

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
The enclosed garage was the main reason we didn't go with Sunline. We have two ATV's and a pull behind yard trailer (for bringing back firewood), along with a lot of other misc. items. All that would be very tight in the back of a 3075.

40-Acre-Mule, do you only put one Harley in the garage?

Jon
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 09:41 AM   #9

SUN #108
40_Acre_Mule
The DW and I participate in shooting competitions called Cowboy Action Shooting (www.sassnet.com).
Most of the competitors use several different guns during a match, plus they have to haul their ammo, maybe a small ice chest for drinks and snacks, a couple of tools, etc.
So, nearly everybody builds or modifies a small cart or wagon to haul their stuff around the range.
Since, I'm hauling enough for two people, our cart is pretty big. It is very convenient to just roll it up into the garage and strap it down for transport.
Plus, we usually head out the night before and park the Sunline right on the range. I can load everything, including guns, into the cart the night before, and still have them secure in the garage area.
It works out quite well for us. We usually attend two or three one-day matches a months, plus three or four 3-day matches, and one 4 or 5-day match a year. Last year, we went to the 5-day World Championship match in Albuquerque, New Mexico, then spent some time at the Grand Canyon. We had a blast except for the Gulfstream Nightmare we were pulling. It had lots of problems.
Old 05-06-2007, 09:41 AM   #10

SUN #108
40_Acre_Mule
One thing we learned the hard way...
On a longer trailer, stuff in the very back can really catapult into the air when you hit a dip in the road at highway speeds. This seems especially true in the toyhauler.
Old 05-06-2007, 08:48 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #17
kanyonkitty is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey 40 Acre Mule,

Nice to hear of another SASS shooter. I am "Kanyon Kitty # 32243" I shoot mainly in the eastern panhandle of WV, and a little in MD and VA. I don't shoot as often as I did while married, I actually started shooting to do more with him (So much for that thought). But anyway, I love shooting, just have to pic n choose when I shoot, as it still feels strange showing up "solo" and I'm on a much tighter budget now. But, I still try to attend a couple 2/3 day shoots and a few monthly one day shoots. I guess in your neck of the woods, cold weather is not a real factor, it sure is up here.

Kitty
Sunny #18 2003 F-344SR #8157
Sunny #19 1997 T-2653 #5485
1999 Ford F350XLT DRW Crew Cab, Long bed 7.3 PSD
2002 VW Jetta TDI.. AKA: Kitty's Kruiser
kanyonkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 10:33 PM   #12

SUN #115
emam
After a few months on the road full time in our 2499, we both have said we wish we would have gotten one of the Sunline Toy Haulers. We carry our motorcycle on a rack that was custom built off the back of the trailer, but man, having your own garage is just the icing on the cake.

As far as the quality of Sunline goes, how many other people can say they've been living out of their camper from the start, and have had to do NOTHING to it?!?!? Except for basic maintenance things like tighten the p-traps under the sinks after 5000 miles, and recaulk the shower inclosure, we havent had to do one thing!!

If we didnt have so many aftermarket items installed on our 2499, I'd be seriously considering one of those Toy Haulers your local dealer has on the lot.

I guess you'll be our go-to guy when it comes to questions on Toy Haulers. I think you're the only one in the forum that owns one. Great to have ya'

Pat

Pat & Cindy Bonish
www.everymilesamemory.com
www.lowkeyhideaway.com
emam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 09:02 PM   #13

SUN #108
40_Acre_Mule
Howdy Kanyon Kitty,

I'm REAL happy that DW enjoys cowboy shooting with me. She's pretty darn good, too. She came in 8th in her category at End of Trail. My SASS # is 12932 and "Cameo Rose" is 18029. I've been doing CAS for about 13 years and she started a year or two later.
We're able to stay in the trailer on the range at every club we normally shoot with. At our main club, the Bayou Bounty Hunters, we have hookups for six RVs. We usually have three or four RVers hanging out the night before the match. We really enjoy the time to visit.
No, weather is not normally a big factor here, (except for hurricanes). Although we did have an annual match several years ago where a couple of weather fronts moved through over the 3-day match. We got 5 inches of rain Friday, then beautiful skies and 80 degree weather Saturday, followed by 20 degree temps, sleet and light snow on Sunday. Folks still talk about that match.
We'd be pleased to have you join us for our next annual (Louisiana State Championship) in November of this year.

40 Acre Mule
Old 05-20-2007, 08:26 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #17
kanyonkitty is an unknown quantity at this point
40 Acre Mule,

Sounds like your having a wonderful time being able to use your Sunline at the matches. I really appreciate your invite to shoot with you in November, but I drive a school bus and can't take the time off work. I really don't shoot much at all anymore, but don't want to quit. I just need to find someone to "hang" with for the day so I don't feel like a "lost puppy". Being solo after being married for 33 years takes some getting used to. Guess that's why I'm always creating work / projects to do just to keep myself busy. BUT, I won't sell my GUNS !! Hey, maybe I'll be able to join you for the November match in 9 years when I retire.

Kitty
Sunny #18 2003 F-344SR #8157
Sunny #19 1997 T-2653 #5485
1999 Ford F350XLT DRW Crew Cab, Long bed 7.3 PSD
2002 VW Jetta TDI.. AKA: Kitty's Kruiser
kanyonkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 11:42 AM   #15

SUN #421
pazmania
Toy Hauler Owner

We bought the Sunline T3075 model back in April. We absolutely love it. It is perfect for a couple. It has the separate garage in it, so you don't have to deal with the fumes and oil associated with the open toy haulers. The garage is small though. It could fit a couple of Harley's or one large ATV. We were in the market for a side by side ATV and most of them were too long for the garage. We ended up buying the new Polaris RZR. It fits perfectly, with 4 inches to spare, in the toy hauler. The RZR is an awesome vehicle, but that's a whole other forum!! The living area of the T3075 is a little small for more than a couple of people. I've heard that you can get beds for the garage area, which would be perfect for the kiddos. The walk around bed is it's best feature. We've always had a bed over the cab or stuck in a corner. I would never have anything else but a walk around bed again. The cabinets in the T3075 are solid maple. They are beautiful. The kitchen sink is an upgraded material, not the usual stainless steel that stains like crazy. All the fixtures are upgraded as well. We even have a leather couch in our unit. The quality of the Sunline is hard to beat. We've looked at other toy haulers and none compare to the Sunline. Drawbacks, the living area is too small for more than two or three people and the garage is small. Advantages, craftsmanship is top notch. Upgraded appliances, fixtures, and cabinetry, roomy shower and bath facilities, china toilet and of course, the walk around bed.
Old 09-25-2007, 01:19 PM   #16

SUN #108
40_Acre_Mule
Paz,

Since my first post, we've had the toyhauler for nearly a year.
Still no problems. We keep making little changes but nothing big.
I added a small book shelf on both sides of the bed, and an On/Off valve to the shower hose. I also took some perforated angle iron and attached it to the ceiling in the garage. So now we have a way to hang clothes without them sliding all over and falling. We did have to twist the top of the hangers through the holes to keep them from jumping off due to bumps. My wife also put up a shower rod and curtain in the shower to keep the retractable shower door dry. She found a rod that didn't have to be cut, but we did have to cut the curtain to size. She wanted to be able to retract the door right after the shower without worrying about mildew.
The trailer is working fine. We went to a 5-day shooting match near Atlanta in May. This trailer is heavier than the Gulfstream, but seems to pull better.
I agree the living space is small, but it is just the two of us, so it is not usually a problem. Any more people than that and space would be the least of our worries. The water and waste capacities are more limited on this trailer. More than two people would severely tax the facilities.
The radio isn't very good, and I am considering removing it to make the storage more effective. I'm pretty good at packing, and we don't take a lot of "stuff" anyway, so we haven't even filled up all our storage capacity yet.
All in all, we are very pleased.
Old 02-08-2008, 07:59 AM   #17

SUN #108
40_Acre_Mule
Pazmania,

How is your T3075 working out?
We put a real queen sized mattress in ours. Can't do that without a walk-around bed! The high quality mattress made a noticeable difference.
We have also decided to remove the couch and use two swivel chairs. I will build a permanent table over the water heater. That probably won't happen until my summer break (teacher).
We had an extra fresh water tank added when we ordered the trailer. It really comes in handy, but now we have to watch the grey/black tanks more closely.
Still, it is far and away the best trailer we've owned so far. And it is perfect for DW and me.