Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Model Specific Forums > Sunline Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 04-23-2011, 05:14 AM   #1
tim

SUN #1724
tim is an unknown quantity at this point
Any tips for repairs

I am repairing some rotten wood in the back corners of my trailer, I have to pull the aluminum back and replace the wood. Looks straight forward just looking for any tips from experience.

It looks like there may have been some kind of seal between the wood which is the floor frame and the strip across the bottom of the shell. Is that right?

I have some roofing sealer to coat the new wood undersides with and will also look into some spray can truck bed liner/under coating.

I have to replace the floor just inside the door, also the framing around the vent on the ceiling.

I am planning on using 1/2 " white stryro foam insulation and great stuff spray foam when it all goes back together. I have seen a variety of products used by others but this was the only half inch material available by me.

pictures here Flickr: twist911's Photostream

Thanks in advance for any helpful info
tim

Old 04-23-2011, 07:58 PM   #2

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi Tim

I looked thru your pic's. You have a restoration project there for sure. Best of luck to you. Since you had no fear in taking it apart, with some wood working skills you can rebuilt it to be a real nice camper.

Your unit is made a little different then the newer ones so we too are learning here with you.

The siding, that I may be able to help on as I had to remove some on mine to fix a rotted slide floor. The siding is installed from the top down. Backwards of house siding which starts at the bottom and goes up.

Mine was stapled on your I'm assuming is. I started at the bottom and went up. This is how I got the stables out so I did not damage the siding to be able to reuse. Once you get the 1st bottom piece off, then you can see the staples on the next layer up. They interlock with each other. You will have to take the corner molding off or at least the bottom few feet as they seal up the corners and the siding is under the corner. When you out it back on use Butyl sealing tape. They also sell putty tape, a few bucks cheaper but does not seal as well.

Get a fine screw driver to get under the staple

Once you get it started then use a pair of needle nose type Vise grips and pull

That way it helps prevent denting the siding trying to pry on it. Once the staples are out it will fall off.

Putting it back on I used exterior staples. These are driven by an air gun.

Wood that has started to rot that you find is complex to replace, they make products not to stop the rot and build the wood back up.

I used this on any stained wood to make sure I killed any fungus that was active. The wood was hard and not soggy but before I sealed the wall back up wanted to make sure the rot was not going to restart or turn into dry rot. Here is the site Wood preservation, rot repair, and restoration using epoxy resin on boats and homes.

If you can get the bad wood out is best but wood that is sound and questionable should be treated. They use that stuff to even build up wood that is "missing"

The floor and seal, yours is made different in this area from what I think you are saying. The newer ones have a waterproof membrane across the entire bottom and it wraps up partly up the sides a short ways. It has it pro's and con's. Looks like this. They put it on before they put the floor on the frame.

I know many Pop Up campers have about nothing on the bottom but bare OSB board. They also do not has insulation either. Any exposed wood you should treat or cover some how to keep the moisture out.

Some of the older Sunline had an aluminum sheet under the camper. I do not know which ones or years but someone had one here on the forum.

Hope this helps and let us know how your progress comes along. It is really neat to see what folks have fixed and turned their restored Sunline into.

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 08:21 PM   #3
tim

SUN #1724
tim is an unknown quantity at this point
John

Thank you for the information it is very helpful. You are right my trailer doesn't have any insulation or covering on the underside, the wood frame and OSB are treated with some kind of rubberized coating, very thin. I am considering insulating the floor and another undercoating. Taking everything apart has been a great education, ( the size, strength and number of staples is astonishing )- glad for your info and pictures on the rot doctor products and especially on the tip to use staples to put it back together, was wondering if there was a way to duplicate what the factory did.

I will keep you posted and try to photograph as I go, this is a fun project, looking forward to getting on the road.

thanks again
tim
Old 04-24-2011, 09:37 AM   #4

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Tim

If you get the Rot Dr. products be sure and get a respirator. They sell one on their site. The stuff once mixed is like the consistency of diesel fuel but the fumes as like model airplane glue on steroids...

Looking forward to your progress. We all learn new things from this kind of projects which is one of the many of the greatest part of Sunline Owners Club. And the pic's we all take away different things from the pic's that some day we can use part of that fix somewhere else.

Good luck

John

PS Make sure you check out the FAQ and SOC Articles forum. See here. http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f1...nks-11910.html Scroll down, there are hit links to make "How To" posts from rot repair to a complete rebuild of the entire camper. And check out the "Repairs and Maintenance" forum. There is a lot more in there plus the Mod's forum.

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote