Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Model Specific Forums > Sunline Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 01-01-2010, 11:15 AM   #1

SUN #960
slogan
Advice needed: T1950 or Que

I posted this over in the Que forum and thought it may be a good idea to post it over in the T1950 forum as well. If this is not the appropriate way to do this please let me know. Just trying to get as much information as possible from both sides of the fence.

Hello All,
I have been lurking on this list for quite sometime now and have been contemplating a purchase of a travel trailer for the past 6 months or so. This will be the first TT for me and my wife so a learning experience will be forthcoming. Since it will be only me an my wife using it, space will not be the primary consideration. My TV is a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the factory tow package and a Hemi 5.7l V8. It is also a 4X4 model. I feel 99.9% confident that the TV will accomodate either of the TT's that I am looking at. My concern is the space in which I store it when not in use as well as the MPG that it will require to tow the T1950 compared to the Que. I have found a Que RE and SE as well as a T1950 that have my attention. Do you guys (the wealth of knowledge on this list) have any suggestions or opinions regarding the two TT's? If you were put into the position of buying a Que or a T1950 which would you typically lean toward? (I know that is a personal and probably loaded question but thought I would solicit opinions either way). Also, if you were looking at the either of these size TT's how would you feel with using the TV that I have? I know it has a short wheel base and it is rated to tow up to 7200lbs.

I have researched TT's for a while now and the more I read the more I find the more indecisive I become. I feel really good about my decision of going with Sunline, even though I had considered TT's like Keystone and Starcraft and others. I really like the craftsmanship of the Sunline as well as the long standing reputation. I am trying to make the experience as pleasant and enjoyable for my wife as possible so that she will want to continue the activity (you know the ole saying, "if momma ain't happy, nobody's happy).

Is there that much of an improvement from fiberglass over aluminum siding as far as maintenance and overall insulating value? I have heard many state that they are much easier to keep clean.

The TT's that I have found range in prices from $7k for the T1950 (2005) to $11k for the Que RE. There are other Que's that I have found (all 2007) but the prices are all over the place. Anywhere from $13k to $20k. If you were getting into it for the first time which do you think would be the better choice? I pretty much feel that for the first couple of years or so it will be primarily used for short trips and trips to the mountains (Blue Ridge Pkwy and Smokey Mountain Pkwy area). Probably the duration of the trips would be no more than a week at most and more like long extended weekends.

I really like the floor plan of the T1950 and I really like the look and size of the Que. So back to the original question, what would alot of you long time campers lean toward if you were in this situation? I am leaning a bit toward the T1950 due to the floor plan and of course the price difference. That amount of money would allow for alot of trips. But I don't want this to be all about the money, I want it to be a decision that we can live with and use for years to come. I don't want to be shopping for another camper two years from now because I saved a few thousand dollars on this purchase.

I appreciate any and all opinions on this and ask for your patience since I am a Rookie!

Thanks,,
Scott

Old 01-01-2010, 12:52 PM   #2

SUN #128
Tweety
Hi and welcome to the club! We had a QUE and now own a 2753, so I feel qualified to answer your question But I do have to say that some of it is a matter of opinion. To answer a few specific questions first...

Fiberglass vs. aluminum...fiberglass is MUCH MUCH MUCH easier to clean, but aluminum is not hard (once you discover the product "Awesome"), just more time consuming.
The QUE wasn't really any warmer than our current trailer (whose name is Tweety) except for those nice window coverings that come with the QUE. I missed those, so replaced the miniblinds with lined curtains for the Tweety - problem solved.
We only kept the QUE a year. Here are the things we loved about it.
It was small and we could camp almost anywhere.
The counter space in the SE was fabulous.
The memory foam sofa/bed was really comfortable to sleep on
It was easy to keep clean.
Here's why we got rid of it....
I didn't like having to turn the sofa into a bed every night.
Steve sleeps later than I do and there was no place for me to go in the morning while he slept in.
I HATED the QUE kitchen faucet.
The carrying capacity of the QUE is really low so you have to watch how much stuff you put in it, and stuff adds up fast.
You asked about gas mileage...
We towed the QUE with a Chevy Trailblazer and got 9-10 mpg. For comparison purposes, we got 22 mpg not towing.
We LOVE having the extra space of the longer trailer, but sometimes think it's a little too long. (but not so long that we'd get rid of it!) I think the 1950 is a clever floorplan. If we had bought a 1950 instead of the QUE, we'd probably still have it. It's not that much longer than the QUE, so you'll still be able to fit in just about any campsite. But IMO the 1950 is alot more functional. While the QUE has what some people consider high end components, we found them quirky and prefer the traditional. The 1950 will give you a separate sleeping area, traditional kitchen sink/stove/oven, much larger fridge, and seating that isn't also sleeping.
Good luck with your decision!

2012 Arctic Fox 30U, SUNLINES - 2006 2753 "Tweety", 2007 QUE "QUEtSE", 2364, 1660
Tweety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 05:44 PM   #3

SUN #960
slogan
Thanks Pam for your suggestions and taking the time to respond on New Years Day! By the way Happy New Year to you!

You have also reaffirmed my position as well and believe this to be the best direction for me to go, especially starting out.

Wish me luck through the process and hopefully I'll be an official "Sunline" owner soon.

Thanks again,
Scott
Old 01-01-2010, 08:23 PM   #4

SUN #93
Poppy & Nana is an unknown quantity at this point
See my response over in QUE.....and Happy New Year to you to.

You need to check out the 2010 upcoming Meet & Greets (see Meet & Greet Forum for details).

Hope you find the TT you are looking for!
We loved our 2007 T-2499
2010 Ford F-350 4x4 Lariat Super Crew Dually Diesel
Poppy & Nana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 06:17 PM   #5

SUN #258
pwb01 is an unknown quantity at this point
If you need small and compact....Que. We wanted something a little bigger with a bed always made up. We love the 1950.
2013 Rockwood 8280WS 5th wheel
2006 Sunline Solaris T-1950
pwb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 06:21 PM   #6

SUN #480
peekay
I am in a great position to answer this question for you as I just went from a Que to a T-1950.

I had the Que for 2 years. In the end, we decided to go bigger for the same reasons that Tweety just explained.

I'll address each of your concerns:

Mileage
No difference. With my Tacoma, both trailers yield about 12-13 mpg's.

Weight
About 1000 lbs. But really, I haven't been able to feel the difference. I suppose on long climbs, there may be a difference, but so far, it really hasn't been a factor.

Room
The T-1950 is WAY WAY more roomy. Having to make the bed every night was a pain in the Que. With the T-1950, my wife can watch tv while not disturbing me sleeping. I cannot stress how much of a difference this had been!

In the end, unless you really need the small size (due to storage), or can barely tow the Que (e.g. if you had a max towing limit of 3500lbs), I would go with the T-1950. Your tow vehicle will be able to handle the T-1950 just fine. My wheelbase may be longer than yours, but you have way more power. My parents tow a Mallard 19' trailer with their 4-Runner and it does just fine.
2007 Sunline T-1950 #7002
2007 Que SE VIN#6309 (traded in)
2007 Toyota Tacoma
peekay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 06:22 PM   #7

SUN #778
Viking is an unknown quantity at this point
Choices

Slogan,
I have to side with the T-1950 advocates.
We presently have a Dutchmen 180, and I feel strongly that I have "outgrown" the hazzle of sleeping on the fold down couch. A real bed has to be tons more comfortable!
Small is handy when manoeuvering a TT & TW combination, so we considered the T-1950, however, we concluded that when the person sleeping closest to the outside wall has to get up, not only is it a bit of a struggle, but the other person is most likely to be disturbed. Our age is definitively a factor here.
So we are dreaming of something more like the T-2363 or T-2499. Both have all the creature comforts we want, but the T-2499 is the favorite due to larger tank capacity.
Roar
Old 01-08-2010, 09:20 PM   #8

SUN #960
slogan
Thanks for all the input on this decision me and my wife are facing. We are scheduled to look/buy a 2005 T1950 on Jan.15th. We are looking forward to this. We have been shopping, researching, contemplating and second guessing this for the past 6 to 8 months now and we have not felt this comfortable about a TT as we do with this one. But we are also aware that this isn't done until it's done, so we may get to where this TT is and find something completely different than expected or described, but really don't think so. It seems that each TT that we have found is a distance off and this one is no different. This TT is approximately 8.5 hours away so we'll get really familiar with towing it, cautiously I might ad, right off the bat.

Thanks again and wish is luck,

Scott
Old 01-08-2010, 10:20 PM   #9

SUN #590
Irishcamper
As a past owner of a T-1950 I would hope you go in that direction. We recently traded our 1950 in for a 195SR for a deal I couldn't pass up. But I do miss our 1950, it was the right size for just the 2 of us when we owned it and I loved that little bugger. I don't know much about the Que's, but my vote goes to the 1950. Good luck and keep us informed.

Dave & Sue
Northumberland, PA
195SR
Old 01-08-2010, 10:20 PM   #10

SUN #590
Irishcamper
As a past owner of a T-1950 I would hope you go in that direction. We recently traded our 1950 in for a 195SR for a deal I couldn't pass up. But I do miss our 1950, it was the right size for just the 2 of us when we owned it and I loved that little bugger. I don't know much about the Que's, but my vote goes to the 1950. Good luck and keep us informed.

Dave & Sue
Northumberland, PA
195SR
Old 01-09-2010, 01:35 PM   #11

SUN #763
MOKID
T 1950

We looked at many travel trailers for quality and floor plans and decided on the T 1950. We love the front living space and the full size bed. The corner bed doesn't bother us. It is nice and cozy. Last Jan we traveled from Missouri to Detroit MI in freezing weather (1300 Miles Round Trip) to pick up our 2005 T-1950. It had only been used a few times and is just like new. We absoultley love it and think it is perfect for the two of us. We did a lot of camping last summer and pulled it over 3000 miles and have had no issues what so ever. We are very happy with it and would highly recommend the T 1950 for two people. Our long range plan is to pull it to Alaska in the future. We tow it with a Ford Expedition with no problems. It really tows great. Have fun in your future travels. Don't hesitate to ask questions as I have learnt a lot from this forum.
2014 Ford F150 Super Crew 4x4 Eco Boost
2012 Holiday Rambler Vacationer Motorhome
MOKID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 05:58 PM   #12

SUN #960
slogan
Thanks Dave and Sue and Jim and Mary. Always reassuring to hear more positive feedback.

I do have a quick question and keep in mind now I am a "Green Horn" at this. The plan is after the transaction is complete to stay at a campground that is about an hour away for a few nights to get familiar with the unit and to start enjoying it. What chemicals/cleaners should I have on hand for the holding tanks? I believe that all hoses will be coming with it and if not I'll stop by the nearest RV dealer or Wal-Mart to pickup what ever is needed. I did pickup a 90 degree clear elbow for the sewage hose at the local Camping World store. What else should I be prepared to have on hand other than food and HEAT! The RV park has full hookups (power, water, sewer, and cable). Is there a preferred deodorizer for the tanks? I picked up a parts catalog at another RV Dealer and WOW what a selection of "stuff" for the tanks.

Thanks,
Scott
Old 01-09-2010, 06:56 PM   #13

SUN #67
264SRinPA
Scott

We haven't used anything in the tanks for years. I feel it's a waste of money buying chemicals. We used chemicals the first year, and since not using them we haven't noticed any difference. Other than maybe deodorizing, stuff isn't in the tanks long enough for the chemicals to break anything down. We've never had any problems with odor.
Sunlines= '06-2075, '06-264SR
264SRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 08:53 AM   #14

SUN #517
luvrque
Quote:
Originally Posted by slogan
Thanks Dave and Sue and Jim and Mary. Always reassuring to hear more positive feedback.

I do have a quick question and keep in mind now I am a "Green Horn" at this. The plan is after the transaction is complete to stay at a campground that is about an hour away for a few nights to get familiar with the unit and to start enjoying it. What chemicals/cleaners should I have on hand for the holding tanks? I believe that all hoses will be coming with it and if not I'll stop by the nearest RV dealer or Wal-Mart to pickup what ever is needed. I did pickup a 90 degree clear elbow for the sewage hose at the local Camping World store. What else should I be prepared to have on hand other than food and HEAT! The RV park has full hookups (power, water, sewer, and cable). Is there a preferred deodorizer for the tanks? I picked up a parts catalog at another RV Dealer and WOW what a selection of "stuff" for the tanks.

Thanks,
Scott
Scott,

We use TST Orange power in the black tank, mainly for odor control. It also helps break down the waste. It's not expensive.
We only use it when we are NOT going to dump every day.
You REALLY need it when temps. are Very High, app. 80degs. or higher.
You probably don't need it in cooler weather, like NOW......

2007 Que RE
2011 Tahoe LTZ.
https://i255.photobucket.com/albums/h...orums/Qsig.jpg
luvrque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 11:31 AM   #15

SUN #213
Diane is an unknown quantity at this point
I like to use a holding tank product that actually cleans the tank by breaking down waste. And of course no formaldehyde as you don't need to preserve the contents. LOL

And sage advice given to us when we started with our TT. Never leave the black tank dump valve open. Always dump the black tank first followed by the grey tank to help clean the sewer hose.

For us, the black tank gets dumped every 2-3 days and the grey tank gets dumped at least once a day due to showers and meal cleanup.

Disposable dump gloves are a necessity and I buy latex gloves on sale in pharmacies.
Former 2011 North Trail & 2014 Open Range
Current 2017 Grand Design Solitude 310GK
2016 Ford F-350 Lariat Diesel
Diane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 04:03 PM   #16

SUN #960
slogan
Thanks again for all the input. I stopped by the local Camping World store today to pickup some of the TST Orange Power. Not knowing which to choose between the drop-ins, liquid, or powder so just picked up the powder version.

One other thought occurred to me regarding wheel chocks. Do you think the BAL wheel chocks are over kill for this size trailer? These are the ones that go between the tires and then ratchet open to grab the tires. I picked up a set just to be sure that I was locking the TT down when we camp in it this weekend but wasn't sure if that was over kill or not. Also if not over kill would one chock be sufficient and then use just standard wheel chocks on the opposite side?

We really are looking forward to this and counting the days, hours, minutes and soon seconds before we depart Friday morning (really early Friday morning at that, say 3:30am). Talk about red eye! Still exciting to me though.

Thanks,
Scott
Old 01-13-2010, 06:06 PM   #17

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi Scott,

I'm glad to hear you got that style wheel chock. I really don't think they're overkill at all. I have two of them myself and I think they are simply wonderful. I don't think there's really any size trailer that they're overkill. I feel a bit sorry for those with single axles because they can't utilize these.

Having two is up to you. I don't really like to trust the wedge type because they can slide out some. If you plan to boondock on unlevel sites, having two is more important than if you'll normally stay on somewhat level paved or gravel sites.

If you're in a boondocking situation, you can get one tire on one side in a hole and possibly one on the other side sloping downhill or going into another hole, which could cause the whole trailer to twist and if your tongue jack is on a block of some sort, it could fall off of this and bend jacks.

I actually had this exact situation happen, and I had no idea that the one side was going into a hole. I only had the ODS side blocked initially and when I unhooked, the trailer slipped off the blocks when it came off the ball and jerked to the left, because the DS tires were going into a hole. I later made sure I had both sides blocked because I didn't want the one going in the hole slipping or bending which would cause the trailer to again go off the blocks. The second one at least keeps it from going out of control. In this particular situation, all I had at the time was 4x4's for tire chocks. I had to actually beat them in with a hammer to get them to hold, which was a pain and I had to be very careful to see how much they'd slip before locking. This was the selling point for the ratcheting type, because once they're in, they trailer won't move.

Jon
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 07:10 PM   #18

SUN #960
slogan
Thanks Jon, I was thinking that the trailer would be more stable with that type of wheel chock but I tend to over think things sometimes and err on the side of caution. I think I'll pickup a second one that way I don't have to think about that situation you experienced. Thanks for pointing that out.

Scott
Old 01-13-2010, 07:16 PM   #19

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi Scott,

I've been browsing around on RV.net for a little while tonight and I was reminded about another option for you. If you're looking for a little cheaper option, JohnB made his own locking chocks using two pieces of wood, a threaded rod, and some nuts. They wouldn't be as easy to install, but they do basically the same job and would probably cost $10 or less for the parts.

Jon
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 08:10 PM   #20

SUN #960
slogan
I may have to give that a shot. Doesn't sound too difficult to make once you get the proper measurements. The ones I picked up today were on sale at Camping World for $39.99 (regularly priced at $49.99 I believe). Every little bit adds up.

Thanks,
Scott