Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Model Specific Forums > Sunline Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 09-18-2008, 06:41 AM   #1

SUN #19
Sunline1
Adjust Air/heat flow ?

Has anyone adjust the amount of heat/air flow, from a heater outlet ?
If so how do you do it ?

My Sunline has the bedroom very close to the furnace and it seams there is a awful lot of heat going there. I would prefer to keep the bedroom cooler than the rest of the camper. as far as I can see there is no adjustment for this. the only adjustment is to adjust the direction of the airflow not the amount.

Any ideas appreciated. Thanks

Sunline

2002 Sunline model T-2975 (large Bath)
Sunline1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 09:54 AM   #2

SUN #680
dkasten39828 is an unknown quantity at this point
I know they make the 4-inch furnace vents with dampers. Try shoprvparts.com and see what they have.

5.3 liter V8, 3.73LS, Prodigy, Hensley Arrow
2004 Sunline Solaris SE T-2499 #5527
dkasten39828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 12:49 PM   #3

SUN #264
Steve Collins is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkasten39828
I know they make the 4-inch furnace vents with dampers. Try shoprvparts.com and see what they have.
I believe you are right, Dave. They may also be available at Lowes or Home Depot.

One other thought would be to use the plastic ceiling vents that are part of the TT's air conditioning system. They are adjustable from almost off to pretty much wide open, and they are 4" in diameter.

'12 F250 4x4 Super Duty PowerStroke 6.7 diesel
2011 to present: '11 Cougar 326MKS
1999 to 2011: '99 Sunline T-2453
SUN264 * Amateur Radio kd2iat monitoring 146.52
Steve Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 03:26 PM   #4

SUN #660
rmstack
Re: Adjust Air/heat flow ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunline1
Has anyone adjust the amount of heat/air flow, from a heater outlet ?
If so how do you do it ?

My Sunline has the bedroom very close to the furnace and it seams there is a awful lot of heat going there. I would prefer to keep the bedroom cooler than the rest of the camper. as far as I can see there is no adjustment for this. the only adjustment is to adjust the direction of the airflow not the amount.

Any ideas appreciated. Thanks

Sunline
How many heat vents do you have going into the bedroom? I only have one vent, and it certainly would not keep the bedroom warm in cooler weather without the bedroom door open. So possibly you could keep the door or whatever partition you have to the bedroom closed.

If you camp where there is electricity, you could use a small ceramic heater that is more than enough to keep the living area comfortable. I have used this system for several years and keep the bedroom door closed. Thus it is warm in the living area and cooler in the bedroom.

Good luck.
Old 09-18-2008, 04:36 PM   #5

SUN #19
Sunline1
Dave

checked the shoprvparts website they have what I'm looking for listed but currently out of stock. i could check back with them.

Steve

I also can check HD or lowes never really thought about them.

Rich

your 2753 with the bedroom in the back maybe further away from the furnace than on my 2975. The furnace is located about 2 ft from the bedroom wall that the heat duct comes thru. My bedroom is too warm in camparision to the rest of the camper. My interest is to get more of the heat in the living room, kitchen, and bathroom areas of my camper.
I like to shut the bedroom door, during the day, so when the furnace runs, hopefully more of the heat will go to the other parts of the camper.
i have never measured it but I'm guessing with the bed room door closed it is several degrees warmer, in there than the rest of the camper.
I do use a electric ceramic heater in the living room for comfort.

If I weren't going south to the Carolina's, for about 4 months, this winter, I wouldn't be so concerned about this. I just would like to get more of the furnace heat to the rest of the camper.

Can anyone tell me how to remove the funace vents. Mine come thru the walls. I believe some of the Sunlines had those that are on the floor. Mine are the circular ones on the walls. I wonder if they can be removed from the room side of the wall or if they have to be remove from the other side of the wall ?

Thanks all for you inputs/ideas etc.

Old 09-18-2008, 07:51 PM   #6

SUN #680
I found these vents listed at dyersonline.com, another RV parts store.
They appear to be in stock.

I believe the vents are attached to the hoses using a clamp on the back side... so yeah I think you'd have to get to them from inside the wall partition. Oh well...
Old 09-18-2008, 07:54 PM   #7

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
To remove the furnace vents:

- Remove the visible screws holding the cover onto the cabinet/wall.
- Pull the cover out, the duct will come with it.
- Remove square head screws that hold the duct to the collar on the cover/cap.
- The cover should slide right off. Be careful not to rip the duct material.

Jon
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 08:05 PM   #8

SUN #680
Oh kewl... that sounds almost easy.

You know, if ours are not the damper-type vents, I just may have to get a couple of these and swap them out.
Old 09-18-2008, 08:20 PM   #9

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
They are very easy. I must have taken out 3 or 4 when I did the wood floor job, not because they were in the way, but all the duct work was when I was trying to get the carpet out. I had to unscrew all the ducts from the covers and tie them up out of the way.

Jon
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 10:01 PM   #10

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi Sunline 1 and dkasten39828

See if this helps.

From reading the responses Sunline may have used a few different vents over the years. In my 2004 T2499, the round vents are held in like this to the hose.

Unscrew the 2 screws on the front of the vent
Pull the vent cover and hose out slightly.
Unscrew the round vent cover from the hose. There are no clamps or screws on mine. The vent cover had 2 molded lugs that act as threads that screw in pitch with the wire imbedded in the hose.

In the T2499 If you lift up your jack knife sofa and slide that Luan sheet out of the way the furnace looks like this.

A few things to keep in mind about the way these furnaces work and vent closing. The Hydroflame furnace is fairly simple, the gas flame shoots heat towards a metal chamber and then funnels the exhaust outside. No actual propane fumes/heat is directly inside the camper environment. The blower housing is sort of part of the heat chamber. When the blower runs it blows across this metal chamber sucking air from inside, the air is heated by convection off the hot metal chamber and the heat goes out the vents to the camper.

Point in all this is the volume of air that has to move to keep that chamber cool enough to not over heat. There is an over temp safety klixon switch on the chamber that if the metal chamber get’s to hot, it shuts down the furnace. Blocking off a little air flow will not have an effect, however blocking off an entire duct or several “might/can” choke the system enough that the heat will rise in the chamber and “might/will” trip that safety switch. I’m not saying yours will, but just a friendly heads up in case yours does trip at least you know why if you choke too much off.

I do agree we roasted in the T2499 bedroom room at night sleeping using the furnace. Basically we did not use the furnace at night because of this. What we did do is experiment until we got it just right, was put the ceramic heater out in the bath/kitchen space on a small stool blowing into the bed room when it was bed time. About 6 feet from the end of the bed 1 foot off the floor. And this was turned down to only cycle to the desired temp. It could still sweat us out of there if the temp was up to much. We winter camp so we had many trips to figure out the exact known setting to not roast or freeze…

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Hope this helps

John

OH and watch out for this if yours is like the T2499. See the vent on the left side of the couch. In the furnace season I folded the couch flap up and stuffed it under the couch to not block the air suction screen and exhaust of that one vent. Other wise it blows hot air directly on the couch flap verses spread it around the camper.

Flaps down

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 06:28 AM   #11

SUN #19
Sunline1
Dave

Your right they have them in stock. I think I'll, just order from them. not sure if I want more than one, have to think about that.

Sunline Fan & JohnB

Installation sure looks easy enough.

also Johb B, I realize and agree with what you are saying about the over heating situation one might experience by closing off "TOO" much of the air flow. i just want to cut it down to balance the heat in the bedroom.
I also think that by doing that the air flow will increase in all the other vents a little. I also had the flap problem on the couch as you did. so I keep my flaps under the couch especially during heating season.

If anyone is interested I checked with both HD and Lowes and neither has an adjustable 4 in vent register. just the typical drying vents.

Since posting this earlyer. i went out and remove the bedroom vent, just 2 scews as indicated. After gently pulling the vent out I saw a couple of things 1. there is about at a 3 in flat spot on vent on the inside of the wall, which on mine camper is a slip on type fit for the foil duct work, as far as I can tell. 2. The foil duct material is very thin. I tryed gently getting the foil to slip off the vent, got it to move a little near the end of the foil but stopped. Thinking it might make more sence to wait untill I would get a new vent. I also tried to turn the vent out of the foil, didn't seen to want to turn out, didn't put a lot of effort into it though. Pretty chilli here this AM in N. Eastern Pa. didn't want to spend to much time in a cold camper. Have propane bottles in the car, taking to town to get topped off, so couldn't run the furnace.

Wondering if heating the foil with a hair dryer might make it a little easier, to get it off the vent. I was a litle afraid of tearing the foil, looks like mine has a very small tear/slit in it very close to the end. Anyone have any ideas.

Thanks

Old 09-19-2008, 06:51 AM   #12

SUN #292
Honda03842 is an unknown quantity at this point
Heat

We only run the gas heater when we want to quickly heat the entire rig. We never leave the gas heater on at night. It's just too noisy.

Typically we use a small electric heater, typically setting it to 45 to 50, meaning it hardly ever comes on at night. First one up turns on the electric heater or if it's really cold a quick blast of the gas heater.

We do use an electric blanket, warming the bed before we get in and keeping us toasty all night.

We typically don't camp in cold climes in the winter but have experienced freezing weather for days in Seattle and have found the electric heater adequate.

Norm Milliard
2004 Honda CRV
1982 Sunline 15.5 SB
Old 11-28-2008, 01:49 PM   #13

SUN #19
Sunline1
Now that I'm 4-6 weeks away from heading south. The temp is in the 30's today as I am doing some early preparing of the truck and camper, and I'm thinking about turning on the furnace, I realize I never followed thru with changing my vent.

Did anyone change their vents ? If so any comments pointers etc, on the mod. Any info appreciated.

Thanks