Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Model Specific Forums > Sunline Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 05-19-2008, 12:36 PM   #1

SUN #196
tinybluetj
A few Questions....

Allright, I know you guys can help me (john and Hutch, espically! )

So hubby and i were at a Jeep event this weekend, and right next door was a RV dealer. Knowing that our beloved Que must soon be traded or sold, I thought I would wander over. LOW AND BEHOLD!!!!! There it sat! They have a 2003 317SR. The one with the tripple bunks in the back that I really never liked until I saw it! We could not decide between a bunk house (adds length) and the bunks that are at the side of the bathroom (we hear they are hot). This floorplan is the perfect comprimise! Not a big fan of the walkthrough bath, but hey...we are going to have to comprimise something. We are looking outside the Sunline name (wanted to buy new), but I would like to stay with a Sunny, so I am partial to this unit! It is in superb condition (one exception see below...), but there are a few little things I am wary about, so I thought I would ask you all.

1. I am partial to the fiberglass sides, for asthetics and ease of maintence. When did Sunline start making fiberglass sides? Is it possible to find this model (or one simular) with the fiberglass?

2. It had the kind of toilet where you have to run the water with a shower thing in it to flush it????? (Our que, you just flush and go) When did Sunline put 'regular' toilets in? Is this something you can 'swap out' aftermarket?

3. There is slight discoloration from water dammage under the front window. (no bubbling, etc... but the walpaper border is peeling) How serious is this, is it possible there is interrior water dammage that can't be seen? How would I know?

It has been on his lot for a while, so I think I can get it for less then he is asking. Do you think maybe I should look for something newer? We would like something with at least two bunks, for little one.

Any and all opinions appreciated!

Old 05-19-2008, 01:21 PM   #2

SUN #98
PTHutch is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi Kathryn,

We’ve missed you, haven’t seen you post in a while.

Thanks for the kinds words.
I'll try to answer some of your questions, though I'm sure others will provide better / more thorough answers

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinybluetj
1. I am partial to the fiberglass sides, for asthetics and ease of maintence. When did Sunline start making fiberglass sides?
1999 Sunlines offered the fiberglass exteriors, I don’t know if Sunline offered the fiberglass exterior option prior to 1999. I'm sure Jon (Sunline Fan) will know.

Quote:
Is it possible to find this model (or one simular) with the fiberglass?
IMO I think it would be hard to find one with the fiberglass siding. I think the majority of Sunlines were made with the aluminum siding.

Quote:
2. It had the kind of toilet where you have to run the water with a shower thing in it to flush it????? (Our que, you just flush and go) When did Sunline put 'regular' toilets in? Is this something you can 'swap out' aftermarket?
I think what you are referring to is Sunline upgraded their toilet to include a sprayer attached to the toilet to make it easier for cleaning. Did the toilet look similar to this?

The hose with the sprayer is for cleaning the toilet. The toilet still has a foot pedal for flushing and putting water in the bowel. Push the foot pedal down to flush, pull it up to add water to the bowel.

If you're interested here's more information on the SeeLand toilet that I believe Sunline put in their 2003 trailers.

Quote:
3. There is slight discoloration from water dammage under the front window. (no bubbling, etc... but the walpaper border is peeling) How serious is this, is it possible there is interrior water dammage that can't be seen? How would I know?
This could be from condensation dripping down from the window.
Check to see if the wall is soft in any spots under the window and where the discoloration is. If the wall is still solid, it’s probably just from dripping condensation.

Quote:
Do you think maybe I should look for something newer?
I would say no. We all know the quality and construction of our Sunlines and 2003 is not that old for a Sunline.

Quote:
We would like something with at least two bunks, for little one.
We had a T-2670 and put over 30,000 miles on it traveling with 3 kids. The girls fit into the bunks even in their teens and never complained of it being too hot. They would have their heads toward the bunk opening that might have made the difference. Our son slept on the couch. The T-2670 was a great layout for a family of five, plus it was only ~26-27’ long and was able to be pulled by a ½ ton conversion van. The conversion van also made it nice for traveling with a family of 5.

Hope this helps.
Hutch

Sunlines: 2005 Solaris T-280SR; 1999 Solaris T-2670; 1998 Saturn T-24A
PTHutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 01:53 PM   #3

SUN #128
Tweety
Hi Kathryn, and congratulations on your new addition to the family
We went from our QUE to a 2753. I also thought I didn't like the walk through bath, but now I wouldn't have anything else! It's so nice to have all that space to dry off and change clothes without bumping into a wall. We had a bunkhouse (4 bunks) when the 3 kids were young, and it was fantastic. It had a wardrobe in the middle, so the airflow was a bit restricted. The kids never complained. They just loved having their own little space. I would be concerned about the water stain.
2012 Arctic Fox 30U, SUNLINES - 2006 2753 "Tweety", 2007 QUE "QUEtSE", 2364, 1660
Tweety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 02:08 PM   #4

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi Kathryn,

I think Hutch pretty much covered everything, but I can add to the fiberglass part. Sunline started doing it in 1997 and 1998 as the Advancer package, and then in 1999, it became the SE package. The Advancer had fiberglass sides, white framed windows and doors (the regular was black), and special graphics.

In '99-'02, there wasn't anything special to the SE package other than a small SE logo. Then in '03, they again had a new sport striping package that lasted through '07.

The 317SR was created in '03 and lasted into very early '05. Most of the ones I've seen have the fiberglass, but remember, it does add a lot of weight. I don't know what you're new TV is, but you'd need at least a 3/4 ton truck to pull it.

I too, like Pam, had to compromise with a walk-thru bath. I don't think it's all that bad after all.

Is this the one you're looking at?
http://www.restlesswheels.com/main.c...C698D6AA72452C

Here's a similar one with the fiberglass:

http://www.specialtyrv.net/car_9496.htm

Jon
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 06:03 PM   #5

SUN #597
henryj
Fiberglass etc.

We have a fiberglass 2499. The factory web site said it added 200 lb. Take a guess on the bigger 317SR--300 lb. maybe.

On a factory tour in 06, Sunline said they only made fiberglass if a dealer ordered it that way. There were none on the floor and virtually none that we could see on the lot.

This is actually a nice toilet--for boys of any age--you just rinse the splashes off the sides with minimal water. Way better than just flushing and waiting for that water to do the job.

The front window is fairly well protected by the awning. Check all around the outside of the window for any imperfections or caulking done by the previous owner. We never raise our awning because there is plenty of light in the bedroom as is. And we have never had condensation on the front window, but heard at the factory that some owners complained about condensation dripping on them and waking them up at night. They dropped the front window if it was a bedroom starting in 06 I believe. So it is possible to regulate heat and ventilation to minimize condensation--there's just two of us, but obviously there could be enough to cause damage depending on the weather and the number of people in the unit.

Henry
henryj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 09:31 PM   #6

SUN #408
partimcmpr
Our 2553 has the walk through bath. I was not sure I would like it either, but it really works well for us. Provides good seperation at night when we have guest in the front of trailer.
2006 Sunline T2553 Classic
https://dbmcbride.com/stttv.gif
partimcmpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 11:38 AM   #7

SUN #64
MACK C-85 is an unknown quantity at this point
We have the side bunks on our T-276SR and the kids (8 & 9) love them, no complaints about hot or cold. They usually leave the curtain open so they get the air/heat. I would think if the privacy curtain was closed it might get stuffy.

The T-276 at 28' is really at the high end of half ton capability, so I would think the 31' would require a 3/4 ton vehicle.

Congrats on the new addition

2004 Dodge Ram 2500 Club Cab 4x4 CTD
2007 Sunline Solaris T-276-SR: Misty Blue/Cherry
2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Reg Cab 4x4 OFF-ROAD
MACK C-85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 12:25 PM   #8

SUN #196
tinybluetj
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunline Fan
Hi Kathryn,

Is this the one you're looking at?
http://www.restlesswheels.com/main.c...C698D6AA72452C

Jon

Yes, this is it. We are a bit wary of the integrity of the dealership. I am not sue why, but Andrew and I got the same 'iffy' feeling from them. I think we can get it for less then what he asking. If not we may pass on it. I have noticed that we can get "NEW" Sunnys for a couple thousand more. We were hoping to wait another year before trading up, but after only a month with the baby, I can pretty much assure you we will need something bigger sooner then we thought. (M&G will be the first 'test'!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunline Fan
Hi Kathryn,
Here's a similar one with the fiberglass:

http://www.specialtyrv.net/car_9496.htm

Jon
WOW! We saw his ad on another site. I passed it over due to his asking price ther, but I see he has lowered it! I willhave to ask Andrew if we can pull it with the added weight. It never occurred to me that it adds weight. We have an '08 Dodge 1500 with the hemi (just under 10,00 lbs tow rating). Hmm.....
Old 05-20-2008, 12:29 PM   #9

SUN #196
tinybluetj
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTHutch
Hi Kathryn,

Quote:
We would like something with at least two bunks, for little one.
We had a T-2670 and put over 30,000 miles on it traveling with 3 kids. The girls fit into the bunks even in their teens and never complained of it being too hot. They would have their heads toward the bunk opening that might have made the difference. Our son slept on the couch. The T-2670 was a great layout for a family of five, plus it was only ~26-27’ long and was able to be pulled by a ½ ton conversion van. The conversion van also made it nice for traveling with a family of 5.

Hope this helps.
Hutch
Thanks for the answers!!! Thanks for the input on th bunks! It is a tough decision, as we do not really know what camping with kids is like! Maybe we will look into the two bunks. I know we can still get one of those "New" (soothes my piece of mind!) for a little more then this guy is asking for a 5 year old unit.

Did the girls ever say that the sound of the toilet woke them up?
Old 05-20-2008, 01:32 PM   #10

SUN #64
MACK C-85 is an unknown quantity at this point
My kids have never woke up when someone uses the potty at night, but then again you could probably blow off the back end of the trailer and they wouldn't wake up once they're asleep.

There is about two inches of "dead air" space in the wall in between the bunks and bath and I think that cuts down on some of the noise transmission.

Looking at the pictures of the three bunk stack, I don't know how usable they would be other than real small kids. The bunks in the 276SR are comfortable even for adults and I'm a big guy (wife doesn't call me Bear for no reason ) I don't think we'll ever get to where the kids won't want to sleep in them.

2004 Dodge Ram 2500 Club Cab 4x4 CTD
2007 Sunline Solaris T-276-SR: Misty Blue/Cherry
2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Reg Cab 4x4 OFF-ROAD
MACK C-85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 02:29 PM   #11

SUN #379
2beagles
A word of caution on the fiberglass exteriors. According to our dealer, Sunline used "hung" fiberglass exterior skins where the thin fiberglass sheets are applied to the assembled trailer in place of the aluminum skin. They didn't use the vacuum laminated sandwich siding that most other companies use. This was necessary because they also offered the two styles of siding on the same coaches and installed them both on the same assembly line. The hung siding is susceptible to water infiltration behind the fiberglass, and bubbling if the adhesive fails.
They had a fiberglass coach on the lot when we had the conversation, and he showed us where the siding had delaminated and bulged in multiple locations. The only solution was to remove the fiberglass, repair any damage, and reskin the area. He did say that even the vacuum laminated skins were more prone to problems than the aluminum, but the hung skins were worse. Just check the siding very carefully for bubbles and bulges before considering buying a fiberglass skinned coach.

2017 F-150 Crew Cab
2003 2570
2beagles is offline   Reply With Quote