Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Model Specific Forums > Sunline Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 06-05-2010, 10:19 AM   #1

SUN #1116
patricia52 is an unknown quantity at this point
2006 t-2753

I posted on the Sunline with Slide thread about a 2005 279SR. We're also looking at a 2006 2753 and would appreciate any comments or advice concerning this particular model.

Thanks.

Old 06-05-2010, 10:29 AM   #2

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2006-...item27b246174a

Is that the one you're looking at? If so, I'd look it over very carefully. It was originally a FEMA coach, and then this resaler bought it. It was probably a new unit on a dealer lot somewhere down that way and then FEMA bought it when they needed units fast for Katrina. This was a very common occurrence. It looks like the people who used it took very good care of it, but I'd still watch out for potential problems. I'd have to pull up the file on that coach to find the exact date it was listed originally, but it was sold through the GSA auctions and was in a staging lot in Lumberton, MS.

Jon

2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 11:19 AM   #3

SUN #1116
Yes, that's the one. Thanks so much for that information. Maybe I need to rethink this one.
Old 06-05-2010, 11:43 AM   #4

SUN #1116
Is there a website to look for the VIN online? Or maybe look for a Sunline that is up for auction? I asked the guy specifically about it, we'll see what he says, if anything.
Old 06-05-2010, 11:46 AM   #5

SUN #128
Tweety
We love our 2753. The only thing we find lacking is a pantry, so we bought a stock upper kitchen cabinet at Lowe's, and installed it behind the dinette. Now she's perfect...pantry and all.

We also flipped the axle so it would sit a little higher since we like camping in the mountains and often find ourselves on mountain switchbacks. Any other questions specific to that model?
2012 Arctic Fox 30U, SUNLINES - 2006 2753 "Tweety", 2007 QUE "QUEtSE", 2364, 1660
Tweety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 05:11 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #17
kanyonkitty is an unknown quantity at this point
I really like the 2753 floor plan. In fact Gary & I had discussed getting a 2753 to replace the 2499, but you all know what route we ended up taking. Looking at both floor plans, I'd pick the 2753. As for it being a FEMA purchase, well, by looking at the photos, "IF" it ever got used, it sure looks to have been well taken care of. Looks like the Sunline owners manual is sitting on the sofa, the two kitchen sink strainers are sitting on the sink, the bathroom sink & shower look really really clean, no apparent damage to the side treatments on the windows, and without care, they are easy to pull out. The table being off the glide track, well that is something I had happen in my 2499, and it's pretty easy to put it back on track. I think the 2753 offers a better sitting/relaxing/tv viewing area. And if it has the pegboard storage cabinet on the door side over the axles, well, that is one thing I really miss that was on my 2499. I'm sure I could think of more, but that's just my opinion on the two floor plans. I do really like the bathroom in the 279SR, but I don't "sit, relax & chill out" for an afternoon or evening in the bathroom.

Good luck with your decision, and welcome back to the group.

Kitty
Sunny #18 2003 F-344SR #8157
Sunny #19 1997 T-2653 #5485
1999 Ford F350XLT DRW Crew Cab, Long bed 7.3 PSD
2002 VW Jetta TDI.. AKA: Kitty's Kruiser
kanyonkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 05:23 PM   #7

SUN #128
Tweety
I had the same thought...IF it was ever used. It looks great. And yes that's the pegboard garage on the door side, which Steve just loves that it's on that side as opposed to the back. We always joke that we have a 4 room trialer...living room, kitchen, bathroom and bedroom. It really does feel that way.
2012 Arctic Fox 30U, SUNLINES - 2006 2753 "Tweety", 2007 QUE "QUEtSE", 2364, 1660
Old 06-05-2010, 07:26 PM   #8

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunline Fan View Post
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2006-...item27b246174a

Is that the one you're looking at? If so, I'd look it over very carefully. It was originally a FEMA coach, and then this resaler bought it. It was probably a new unit on a dealer lot somewhere down that way and then FEMA bought it when they needed units fast for Katrina. This was a very common occurrence. It looks like the people who used it took very good care of it, but I'd still watch out for potential problems. I'd have to pull up the file on that coach to find the exact date it was listed originally, but it was sold through the GSA auctions and was in a staging lot in Lumberton, MS.

Jon
Hi Jon

A FEMA coach, h'mm learning on this one. Most of the FEMA coaches I saw have been stripped models. This one looks like the full blown normal TT. And I must add looksfrom the pics to be in good shape.

Or Did Sunline just make normal coaches to sell them to the FEMA? I thought I remember seeing some Sunline FEMA's that where missing windows etc and other Soliars frills.

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 07:30 PM   #9

SUN #43
Trailblazer is an unknown quantity at this point
That trailer looks in great condition. As both Tweety and Kitty have said, we really liked the floor plan of our T2753. In fact when we went at Sunline's we originally went with the idea of buying the T2499 but after seeing the T2753 floorplan we found we preferred it. Like Tweety, we always felt we had a 4 room trailer and treated it that way. As far as the table being off the bracket, it is an easy fix. I can attest the bracket is help on by 8 - 2 inch screws into hardwood. I found out the hard way when I had to remove it to slide our table back onto it when I accidentally knocked it off of the bracket. We really liked the outside storage shed and miss it on our current trailer. We also did the axle flip on our trailer as we found it dragged way too much. The only thing that made us change to our currently rig was that we found a Sunline 5'ver and it was something we really wanted.

If you do buy this unit, I would suggest you look at changing all the tires on it even if they look in good shape as they are going to be too old now.

Good Luck with your search and your decision and please keep us informed.
2003 F311SR
2005 T-2753
Trailblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 07:34 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #17
When Katrina happened, the Government just grabbed up any TT that was sitting on dealers lots waiting to be sold, so they could get folks into something immediately, so some folks got the "whole deal", Then the government had to wait for more trailers to be made, and those were made to the bare bones FED specs. But, mostly even the loaded TT that were used by FEMA to house victims were "trashed" by the users. That just does not appear to be the case with this 2753. Maybe it was one that just somehow got forgotten in the FEMA inventory.

Traveling I-81 like I do in the bus, I saw so many TT heading south after Katrina, including many Sunlines. You can tell when it's a "hauler" towing a trailer VS a private owner. Everytime I saw a Sunline going south, I always said to mom, oh what a shame, that Sunline is gonna get trashed. But, it sure looks like this 2753 escaped, YEAH.
Old 06-05-2010, 08:24 PM   #11

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
Hi Jon

A FEMA coach, h'mm learning on this one. Most of the FEMA coaches I saw have been stripped models. This one looks like the full blown normal TT. And I must add looksfrom the pics to be in good shape.

Or Did Sunline just make normal coaches to sell them to the FEMA? I thought I remember seeing some Sunline FEMA's that where missing windows etc and other Soliars frills.

John
Hi John,

The situation Kitty described was exactly what happened. This coach was probably ordered by a dealer somewhere down south and happened to be sitting on the lot just after Katrina. So FEMA went and bought those up. Since they tried to keep the geographic area for transporting relatively small, it really affected so few Sunlines because dealers in the south were somewhat scarce. Then, as Kitty described, they started building the FEMA spec units. I have been watching the GSA Auctions now for a while to find these units when sold. They are usually sold in large batches, 75, 100, 150, some even larger. I think one was around 1000 or 1500 one time. They seem to go to the different storage lots and decide to clear them out one at a time, because there might be ten lots sold at a time. In most cases, I'm "lucky" to find one or two in a lot, once or twice three or four, and sometimes none at all. So Kitty, the Sunline influence in all that may not have been as bad as you think. Transport drivers hauled so many, they may have been going as close as Restless Wheels or as far as RV World in Nokomis or Lakeland, Florida.

I was told at one time by Mr. Zimmerman that they built approximately 100 FEMA spec units, which they called the T-30F, but were essentially a de-glamorized version of the 2975. But, based on the FEMA auctions, I'm putting that number higher, I'm estimating 125 now, and it may be closer to 150 in the end, but I guess I'll never know. I have found what I believe are most of them though.

Overall, the condition of the 30F's hasn't been too bad. I've seen a lot of the others that are in much worse condition, like broken doors, stuff missing, broken windows, etc. The worst of what I've seen, and I probably have only seen pictures for 50% of them is all, if that, has been bed mattresses missing, some spray paint markings probably from FEMA for staging, and it seems one or two had something a little worse. But overall not bad. There was one I saw recently that was sold in a lot, and a picture of it happened to be on the ad. It has been completely burned down to the frame, as did the rest in the lot. It appeared someone either went in and torched the storage lot or natural things caused a local fire that took them. Keep in mind too that probably 15-25% of the 30F's built never made it to use for the victims. They were just put in a storage lot and never used until they were sold.

The coaches taken from dealer lots, from what I can tell, weren't all that many either. Here's a list of what I know were FEMA bought coaches, non-30F:
2006:
5002- 2753
5157- 276SR
5184- 2753
5226- 276SR
5364- 276SR
(5495-5558 )- 30F's
(5609-5707)- 30F's
6039- 276SR

2005:
5045- 267SR
5137- 280SR
5199- 2570
5403- 267SR
5491- Sole 25BH
5544- 267SR
5569- 2553
5604- 264SR
5605- 264SR or 267SR (no documentation to confirm, just VIN)
5718- 280SR
5876- 2499

So I guess that is a few more than I thought. All the early '05's listed there (like through 5544ish) were all in a holding lot in Virginia, so it's like they never even made it down there. They were some of the first to be auctioned off. Most of the '05's have found their way to dealers where they've flipped them, since of course they were just normal Sunlines.

I have to say, I think every Sunline involved got it pretty easy, because I've looked at some pretty nice looking Jay Flights and other complex coaches that came back with broken mirrors, doors, many parts missing, paint on the fiberglass exterior, walls delaminating, I could go on and on.

Certainly the most popular units were the Cavaliers built by Gulf Stream. They were built very cheap and had household refrigerators in them even. I believe these are the units that have caused so much controversy about the formaldehyde.

Jon
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 05:13 AM   #12

SUN #1116
Ya'll are great, as usual, so generous with your information and experience! I can't wait to get my next Sunline and become part of the Sunline family once again.

Here are some of my thoughts on the 2753:

-- Love, love the chair/couch concept. My dh is 6'2" and has a hard time getting comfortable sitting on a couch. He much prefers his own chair like we had in the 2499. We bought a small foot stool and he was happy but, I am concerned about the placement of the TV. Do you have to crain your neck to see it if you're sitting in the chair?

-- Kind of concerned about the sink being right next to the couch because of possible spash over.

-- Love having a dinette. I missed having a dinette in the 2499. Sometimes we have grandchildren with us and the dinette not only provides an extra bed, but gives them a place to color, play cards and board games.

-- No pullout pantry, trash can storage or dirty clothes hamper, which I had in my 264SR. I really enjoyed these features.

-- There are some items that seem to be missing from this particular camper, such as the wall clock, throw pillows on the couch and bedspread. From what I've been able to find out, they do not come with the camper. Can these items be replaced?

-- I really love the color scheme of this particular trailer -- tan and black. The color scheme of the 279SR we're looking at is country blue floral, which I could live with but don't like as much.

-- I really miss the window over the bed, which has been in all my other Sunlines. I know this was a change implemented in the 2006 models. Did Sunline eliminate this window as a cost cutting measure?

-- No slide. I realize this can be a plus or a minus, depending on your perspective. I've had Sunlines without a slide -- 2553 and 2499 and with a slide -- 264SR, and the 279SR has a dinette slide. I realize it adds a good bit of weight and the potential problem of leaking, breaking, etc. But, it does open up the camper on the inside. I don't know much about tow vehicles, but we'll be towing with a 2008 Toyota Tundra Crewmax with a towing package and 5.7. My dh has run all the numbers, and he thinks we'll be okay pulling the 279SR. I know we can pull the 2753 with no problems.

-- And, yes, the original owner's manual is still in the trailer.

Just some of my thoughts. Feel free to jump in with your opinions and suggestions.

Patricia
Old 06-06-2010, 06:08 AM   #13

SUN #128
Tweety
Hi Patricia...Here's how we addressed your concerns...
-- You are right that the TV location is not good. We didn't mind that it was up, but it was too far away for our little 15" TV. If your TV is larger it might be fine. We had a door made for the TV cabinet and now use it for storage.

Steve ran a cable extension and installed a swing arm for our TV between the dinette window and the entry door.

Our TV is strapped against the wall for travel. Since we usually only have 2 of us sitting at the dinette it's not in the way. Another option for us is to sit our TV on top of our pantry.
--Sink is not an issue. I use the left side to wash and the right to rinse and am just careful. I prefer that to the stove next to the sofa like you had in the 2499.
--We love the dinette for games too.
--You know what we did for the pantry. I think the wood match is excellent. We used the wood from the flip up TV stand from the bedroom for the top.
--Our dirty laundry goes under the right side of the dinette seat. Steve took the drawer apart and put hinges on the front so it just flips down. It holds much more than just having the drawer there. Before he did that we used to keep a laundry basket in the shower and just sat it in the bedroom when we used the shower.
--Our small trash can sits either under the center of the dinette (see photo in previous post) or next to the pantry.
--I think the missing items are going to be hard to find, but you could buy coordinating ones anywhere. We got rid of the stiff bedspread and replaced it with a nice soft comforter. I hate the clock because it ticks and I have to remember to take it down at night or it'll wake me up at 2:00 am!
--Steve misses a window over the bed, but not as much as he thought he would since there are windows on both sides for a cross breeze. I am thrilled. We often camp in the cold and when we had a window over the bed I thought it was too cold.
--Our truck tows it like it's not there.
Old 06-06-2010, 08:01 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #17
I had the black & tan interior in my 2499 and I loved it. Everything just seems to go with it, as it is also easy to match, and I just think it has a "rich" look to it.

When we decided to get rid of the 2499, I seriously considered the 2753, then we went with the 320 for the bunks for when Garys' kids go with us, well, only 1 used the bunks, so all day the bunk space used up valuable living space, so I once again considered the 2753, but we (I) constantly drooled over the F-311 and one day Gary just said lets go see this Sunline you love, so after many weeks of haggling, it became ours.

When I wanted to get rid of the bunk model, I was looking for a 2753, but deep down I wanted the 5th wheel. If something were to happen to the 5er, I'd be looking for a 2753, since Sunline 5th wheels are very scarce, slides are nice, but they do add weight and maintenance.

Good luck with your decision

Oh, the clock your not missing a thing with it gone, well except for the LOUD ticking, go to Wally World and get a nice silent digital
Old 06-06-2010, 08:37 AM   #15

SUN #1116
Tweety,

Your cabinet door looks wonderful -- like it was meant to be there. did you build the door yourself or have it done? My husband is a really good woodworker and might be able to do that himself if he could find the wood. Where did you find the maple and knob to match? That's a great fix for the TV and one I would certainly consider. I think we actually have one of those arms laying around somewhere that we used to mount a TV in the kitchen of our former house. It's good to know that the sink next to the couch is no big deal. I would just have to keep my dh away from the sink, as he tends to splash and sling water. I agree that the stove next to the couch in the 2499 is an even bigger hazard and I was never comfortable with that arrangement. All your "fixes" are good ideas and I really appreciate the pictures.

Patricia
Old 06-06-2010, 08:48 AM   #16

SUN #128
Tweety
We had the door built by this guy
wholesalersoutlet@msn.com
I don't remember the exact price but it was $30 something with shipping. It was unfinished and we had to match the stain. We also had him make a door for the false panel where the clock used to be above the sink. That is a big help being able to get into that cabinet. Now that I think of it, it might have been $30 something for both doors...not sure.
The knob came from a Lowe's $1 bin. I'm pretty sure Lowe's sells maple if your husband would want to make the door himself.
Old 06-06-2010, 02:33 PM   #17

SUN #43
We had a different solution to for the TV. We re enforced the side panel on the TV cabinet and the add an LCD TV arm to the cabinet. This allowed us to fit a 22 inch TV in the cabinet and move it out of the cabinet for a better viewing angle by all.

Here is the link to the album showing how I did the entire install.

For the Garbage can we placed it under the dinette similar to Tweety. Like Tweety we also washed the dishes in the left sink and put a drain tray in the right sink. This eliminated the possibility of water splashing onto the couch.
2003 F311SR
2005 T-2753
Old 06-06-2010, 04:11 PM   #18

SUN #1116
Hi Trailblazer,

I really like your TV set up and will definitely show my husband your solution. Thanks so much for posting your pictures.

Patricia
Old 06-07-2010, 09:01 PM   #19

SUN #1116
Well, it looks like I won the auction on the 2753. It's kind of scary and I hope that it's as described. Keep your fingers crossed!
Old 06-07-2010, 10:03 PM   #20

SUN #43
Congrats on winning the auction! We are looking forward to seeing pictures of it.

2003 F311SR
2005 T-2753