Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Model Specific Forums > Sunline Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 07-01-2007, 12:03 PM   #1

SUN #313
msully8548
1990 T1550 Instructions

Does anyone have a manual for a 1990 T1550? If not, does anyone know how you monitor the tanks? All the info. I've seen mentions a monitor panel either in the galley area or the bathroom. I do not see one. Am I missing something?

Thanks

Mike

Old 07-01-2007, 07:45 PM   #2

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Mike,

Sorry, I don't have a manual for a '90 1550, but I do have the one to my '86. I am planning to start scanning owner's manuals as soon as I finish the brochures. I'm just starting on 2003 now.

I just looked at the '90 brochure and I see no mention of a Systems Monitor Panel. Even if it was an option, the panel was traditionally not even an option on the smaller trailers, such as the 1550. With models without the monitor panel, it's like a car without a gas gauge. You just need to keep opening the tank valves.

Jon

2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 11:16 PM   #3

SUN #313
msully8548
1990 T1550

Thanks Jon. I was hoping I was missing something but I guess not. It would be great to get the manual though. I'm sure not much changed between 86 and 90. Thanks for the reply.

Mike
Old 07-01-2007, 11:20 PM   #4

SUN #123
Mike,

If you need me to get some info from a particular manual in the meantime, I'd be glad to do that. But, if it's an appliance or something and you're unsure how to work it, just post the question here and someone will tell you how, probably better than a manual would explain.

Jon
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Old 07-02-2007, 08:23 PM   #5

SUN #313
msully8548
Hate to ask stupid questions but I am brand new to trailer owning. When you say open the valves to check the fullness of the tanks do you mean hook up the hose to see if it starts sraining and then I know they're full?

Couple of other questions:

Do you use the drain hose in the bumper if you are hooing up to a septic in a park?

How do you fill the water tanks? I see the hose nozzle on the side of the trailer. Is that for filling and use if it is at a hookup spot?

Thanks
Old 07-02-2007, 09:37 PM   #6

SUN #123
Hi Mike,

Always glad to help a newbie. Those questions are not stupid, there just typical newbie questions. I'll try to explain everything the best that I can.

About tank levels:
I haven't found a good way to monitor the tanks without indicators, but basically you are correct. Once the hose is hooked up, open the valves (one at a time, never both at the same time) and drain out what is in there. It's a good idea to drain the black (toilet) tank first and then do the gray (sink) tank last, so the cleaner water cleans out the hose and common drain tube. I would also recommend purchasing a clear straight or angled piece to go between the trailer connection and hose. This way, you can see when stuff is coming out and also monitor how clean the tank is. This helps when flushing out the black tank. Also, if you didn't get one with your trailer, I would also recommend getting a right angle elbow to hook up the hose to the sewer port at the campground.
Another way to tell when your tanks are full is when you start having backing up in the shower. I wouldn't recommend waiting to this point though. Since you have a 1550 and the tanks are smaller than a larger TT, it would be a good idea to just open the gray tank valve when you take a shower.

Drain hose in bumper:
That is the hose to use. There are two types of hoses, and you may have either. The first is a standard hose and has one connector on one end. The other end has nothing. I don't recommend these since the one end would bend to go into the ground. The second is a hose with two ends, both male and female, and is designed to be hooked to a right angle elbow before going into the ground. This is best because the hose can't kink when going into the ground. You won't have major backups then. If you haven't had your trailer out yet and you've seen the movie "RV", believe me, sewage doesn't come out with much pressure at all. If you haven't seen the movie, use your trailer first before watching the movie.

Fresh Water Tank:
First of all, there is only one fresh water tank. It is in the cabinet below the stove. The fill spot for the tank is next to the entry door, and it should be a little lockable door about 3"x3".

City Water Hookup:
The thing with the hose fitting is the hookup for city water. Some newer units allow you to fill the fresh water tank while hooked up to that spot, but your's does not.

I hope I've made all of this clear for you to understand. I realize you probably have no idea about some of the terms, so I've tried to explain things.

If you don't understand something or have any other questions, feel free to let us know.

Jon
Old 07-02-2007, 10:11 PM   #7

SUN #313
msully8548
Jon,

Thanks so much. That was a big help. I figured out a few things but it makes much more sense now. I do have the hose with the elbow and the clear connector piece makes a lot of sense.

Couple of more questions

As a rule if there is just me and my wife, considering normal daily use what is your guess as to how many days before the tanks need to be emptied? According to the specs the gray tank is 21 gal. and the black is 10 gal.

I found the pump switch right on the cabinet inside the door. There are 2 switches. One I can hear the pump start. Is the other one for a heater or something? Nothing seems to happen when I filp that switch.

Do you know if there is a drain plug for the freshwater tank on a 1550?

Thanks again for your help. Going to take the trailer out this week for our first official run.

Mike
Old 07-02-2007, 10:37 PM   #8

SUN #123
Hi Mike,

I'm posting my answers to your questions after your question:

As a rule if there is just me and my wife, considering normal daily use what is your guess as to how many days before the tanks need to be emptied? According to the specs the gray tank is 21 gal. and the black is 10 gal.

-I wouldn't say days, but rather hours. Maybe you'll get a day and a half out of it, if you don't take a lot of showers, if any. Unfortunately, I never used my 1550 to know how long I could last. I'd say as a good rule, check the tanks at least daily and open them when taking a shower.

I found the pump switch right on the cabinet inside the door. There are 2 switches. One I can hear the pump start. Is the other one for a heater or something? Nothing seems to happen when I filp that switch.

- The other switch should be for the porch light or interior light. If you have a porch light (My 1550 didn't for some reason), take the lens off and check the bulb. It may be burned out because I've seen many inconsiderate campers lately who leave their porch lights on 24/7, so the previous owners of yours could have done that, or it just burned out from age. If you don't have a porch light, turn on all the lights inside and turn off the switch. If the switch still doesn't do any of that, I don't know what it could be. It wouldn't operate a furnace or WH. The WH switch is on the unit itself (outside) and the furnace switch is a slider lever on thermostat.

Do you know if there is a drain plug for the freshwater tank on a 1550?

- The drain plug is a little valve mounted on the outside, probably just below the fill port. The valve lever rotates around to open.

Jon

P.S. You said you turned the one switch on and heard the pump come on. It is not a good idea to run this without water. It's not a big deal if you just turn it on and off right away, but don't let it run for an extended period.
Old 07-03-2007, 01:57 AM   #9

SUN #313
msully8548
Jon,

You are better than a manual! You have been so helpful. I really appreciate it. I tried the water hookup. I hooked the hose to the input and it began to fill up the little tank under the kitchen sink. I did not get very good pressure and once the tank was full water began to come back out the fill spout. Did I miss something? My understanding is I would not need to use the pump if I had a city hookup.

Another thing. I plugged in with a 30 amp haevy duty electrical cord. I was running the air and the fridger and a few lights. Tripped my breaker a couple of times. I turned off the air and then all the lights and fridge would not work. Air still works but nothing else. I then plugged into the truck and everything seemed to work. Maybe I blew a fuse in the trailer. Where is the fusebox? Any other ideas?

Thanks

Mike
Old 07-03-2007, 07:29 AM   #10

SUN #123
Hi Mike,

Quote:
Originally Posted by msully8548
I tried the water hookup. I hooked the hose to the input and it began to fill up the little tank under the kitchen sink. I did not get very good pressure and once the tank was full water began to come back out the fill spout. Did I miss something? My understanding is I would not need to use the pump if I had a city hookup.
I'm not totally understanding what you're saying here. You just filled the city water tank it sounds like. You can take the hose out and you'll have a full tank. Turn the pump on and use the faucets inside. For city water hookup, hook up the hose directly to the port on the opposite side of the entry door on the trailer. This is the one that actually has the threaded connector to hold the hose. When hooked up to that, you will have however high of water pressure is coming out of the hose. You DO NOT need to have the fresh water tank full and/or the pump on in order to use the city water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msully8548
Another thing. I plugged in with a 30 amp haevy duty electrical cord. I was running the air and the fridger and a few lights. Tripped my breaker a couple of times. I turned off the air and then all the lights and fridge would not work. Air still works but nothing else. I then plugged into the truck and everything seemed to work. Maybe I blew a fuse in the trailer. Where is the fusebox? Any other ideas?
I'm guessing you didn't actually have 30 amps going into the trailer. It is not a good idea to run all those things with low power, so my best suggestion is make a choice- either the air or refer, and minimal lights with either. I'm not sure why the refer won't start. All I can suggest is check the breakers- they were below the large wardrobe cabinet on mine, just in front of the couch. There was a cabinet door there, and I think two breakers were behind there. You could have tripped one of them. If they are fine, then you might have to seek other refer-specific help on it. To the best of my knowledge, there was no fusebox in those models. However, I'm not sure when they started putting converter/fuse box panels in, so you may have one. It is a brown box inside near the floor (mounted in a cabinet, near where the power cord comes in outside) with a door on the top half. The fuses are located behind that door.

Jon
Old 07-03-2007, 04:16 PM   #11

SUN #313
msully8548
Thanks Jon I gues I had the water hookups backwards. Also checked the breakders and the fuses and all appears fine. When I plug in the trailer I can get the air and all the outlets ro wrok but no fridge or inside lights. Lights, fridge air and outlets work fine when I hook up the truck and run off the battery. Any suggestions? DO you think I blew a breaker by tryuing to run everything at once?
Old 07-05-2007, 05:26 AM   #12

SUN #328
bugbite
Could it be your power source?

What size extension cord again? If you ae using one.
How long is the extension cord?
If you are running a long one could be your problem.
Voltage drop and all that Wot wot.
Cool Runnings Silent and Swift
bugbite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 10:02 AM   #13

SUN #313
msully8548
electrical

Not using an extension cord. Plugged in directly from the trailer. I also switched out the breaker for this outlet to 30amp. I switched out the receptacle to a 30 amp RV. When I plug the trailer in to the house the air works but the lights and fridge don't. I am not trying to run all 3 at once. If I turn off the air the lights and fridge do not work. I can only get the lights and fridge to work when I hook the hitch plug into my truck. One of my friends suggested that some RV's have a switch that needs to be flipped between electrical and battery operation. I've looked all over but see no switch. Any suggestions?

Thanks