Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Model Specific Forums > Sunline 5th Wheels
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 12-16-2009, 07:17 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #17
kanyonkitty is an unknown quantity at this point
Tomorrow, Thursday 12/17 is the BIG Day

Yep, tomorrow afternoon we pick up our new to us F-311SR. This will be our first ever 5th wheel, so some learning "how to" might be in order. I have to finish packing up the 320 today, as we are just going to transfer "stuff" over to the 311 tomorrow at the dealers. (With the 299 here, I don't have any place to store the contents of the 3200. Needless to say, right now we are just loaded with Sunline trailers & stuff.

AND, and get this Gary tells me we are going camping saturday night. SIly man, I can't be ready that quickly.

Kitty

PS: KD is doing greyt this morning, she even barked for her breakfast.

Sunny #18 2003 F-344SR #8157
Sunny #19 1997 T-2653 #5485
1999 Ford F350XLT DRW Crew Cab, Long bed 7.3 PSD
2002 VW Jetta TDI.. AKA: Kitty's Kruiser
kanyonkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 07:57 AM   #2

SUN #809
ihsolutions
Very cool. You guys won't look back to TT's once you've spent some time in the fifth wheel.

One thing I was going to ask you -- is your power front jack switch on the driver's or passenger's side compartment? Mine is on the passenger side, so every time I get out to hitch/unhitch the fifth wheel, I have to duck and walk under the trailer to get to the other side. Most 5th wheels have it on the driver's side where it belongs, but since mine is the only Sunline 5th wheel I've seen, I don't know if Sunline just made mine wrong, or all of them!

If I keep my 5th wheel another year (which I am leaning towards) I will definitely be re-routing that switch.

Jeff

2012 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD D/A DRW, Classy Chassis Conversion, aka "Garage Queen II"
Hensley Trailersaver BD3 Air Hitch
ihsolutions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 11:45 AM   #3

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Good Luck Kitty and Gary.

Yes I’m sure new things will await you. The excitement is high I’m sure. New campers are always good times. And by number 17 you should have this down pat now….

Good luck and safe travels.

John

PS Don’t forget the camera. You know us pic lovers…..

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 06:23 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #897
EMD_Driver is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihsolutions
Very cool. You guys won't look back to TT's once you've spent some time in the fifth wheel.

One thing I was going to ask you -- is your power front jack switch on the driver's or passenger's side compartment? Mine is on the passenger side, so every time I get out to hitch/unhitch the fifth wheel, I have to duck and walk under the trailer to get to the other side. Most 5th wheels have it on the driver's side where it belongs, but since mine is the only Sunline 5th wheel I've seen, I don't know if Sunline just made mine wrong, or all of them!

If I keep my 5th wheel another year (which I am leaning towards) I will definitely be re-routing that switch.

Jeff
You got me to thinking.... I know, very dangerous!

I couldn't remember which side it was on, so I went to the historical documents.. AKA: Pictures!

As you can see, it's on the proper side! Since this one was built in '02 and yours was built in either '04 or '05, it might have been built by the new owners.... Maybe they had a "Better" idea... Either that, or they were getting ready for all American made vehicles to have their steering wheel on the right side...

2007 Peterson Excel Limited 30RKE
2014 Ford F350XLT SRW Crew Cab, Long bed 6.7PSD

EMD_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 06:28 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #897
Yep.... We just came in, from getting Sunny 14 ready to roll tomorrow! Since I don't have any vacation days left, I will have to work at least a half a day.. Kitty's going to have Sunny 14 ready to go, when I get home..

This evening, I managed to get the rounded-off screw out of the TV mount in the bedroom.. That made it possible to put the original shelf back up. Kitty wasn't about to let our first "Mod done together" go with the 320. I also removed the detachable power cord and put the original power cord in.

The only thing left to do tomorrow, is put the slide back in!

Old 12-17-2009, 06:19 AM   #6

SUN #809
ihsolutions
Quote:
As you can see, it's on the proper side! Since this one was built in '02 and yours was built in either '04 or '05, it might have been built by the new owners.... Maybe they had a "Better" idea... Either that, or they were getting ready for all American made vehicles to have their steering wheel on the right side...

Do you mean to say the switch is on the outside of the trailer, right below the running light there? I've never seen a fifth wheel with the switch exposed that way. What is to stop someone from walking by and messing with your power jack? Maybe I'm misunderstanding something in the picture?

You got me thinking too (also dangerous) and I think I've figured out why Sunline put mine on the wrong side. First, it's right next to the battery. Second, the compartment on that side is sealed from the weather, whereas the compartment on the other side is not. It is more or less just a compartment where you could put another battery, but there are plenty of holes and unfinished areas so the battery would not need a vent, and the area is sealed off from the rest of the camper and storage areas. Still, I'll be moving the switch to that location. I'm getting too hold to squat and walk under the trailer several times per trip!
2012 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD D/A DRW, Classy Chassis Conversion, aka "Garage Queen II"
Hensley Trailersaver BD3 Air Hitch
ihsolutions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 12:41 PM   #7

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Do you mean to say the switch is on the outside of the trailer, right below the running light there? I've never seen a fifth wheel with the switch exposed that way. What is to stop someone from walking by and messing with your power jack? Maybe I'm misunderstanding something in the picture?
The dark thing below the running light is the specification decal, which the clear film over top has had a bit too much UV and has turned black for some reason instead of yellow. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with the fact it's on fiberglass instead of aluminum.

However, it looks like if the switch isn't in a compartment, I think it might be under the overhang on the driver's side, maybe about 2-3" in from the edge and just southwest of the Hoppy level on there.

Jon
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 06:20 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #897
Quote:
Yep... That's where it is... On the left-side bulkhead and out in the open.... Perhaps we need to install a power jack safety switch, like the slides have...

Oh yes... Another mod!

Old 12-17-2009, 07:09 PM   #9

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi Guys

While the landing gear switch being protected is a good thing, it being out in the open is similar to mine and most everyone else with a power tongue jack. Somebody with a wondering finger can let my tongue down real easy. And in my case I really do not know what will happen to the Bal scissors jacks on this heavy TT. They might just unscrew and go up like they do when I do not want them too or they may just plan crush.

I have never gave this a lot of thought, but it could happen I guess. However most campgrounds I have been in, if not all, I have never had an issue with things outside. I have more stuff outside my camper for some one to mess with then the power jack. But I do keep things of key value out of sight. Like the Honda Eu2000i and out bikes when we leave the camper.

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is online now   Reply With Quote