Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Model Specific Forums > Sunline 5th Wheels
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 11-24-2013, 09:45 AM   #1

SUN #5935
shawns_46917 is an unknown quantity at this point
Hitch Question?

I have a 1984 F-1850 that belonged to my late Granddad. He pulled it with a 1991 Nissan 4x4 truck. I have a full size longbed GMC 3500 with a gooseneck ball already in it. There is not enough clearance to turn when hooked to the larger truck. I was thinking about taking the hitch to a welding shop and having the coupler extended about a foot to make more clearance when turning. Has anybody ever done this or seen it done? The ball sets 10 inches farther forward on the full size compared to the Nissan.
Thanks

Old 11-24-2013, 03:29 PM   #2

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi,

Congrats on your 5'er!!!

I have not done what you are asking about extending the gooseneck on the camper. But may be able to help give you some things to think through

How much length did do you need to add? 2 or 3 inches may not be a concern however 10 to 12 inches may be an issue of bending the frame by the longer goose neck. Your welder may have to add some reinforcement on the longer gooseneck to not deflect the frame. The heads up is, point it out to him so he can work through it.

The 3500 truck sits up pretty high, any idea how far up hill the the front of the camper will be once you do connect to the ball?

I'm some how guessing you might have a turning problem. Will your truck hit the camper when you are turning? With the truck being so much higher then towing the camper level the bed rail clearance would need to be checked with this angle in mind. And then there is the ball is 10" more forward. Will the truck bumper hit the camper?

Did your Granddad by chance raise the axle? This would at least help with the towing level problem. Some of these little 5'ers where set up to work on a S10 pickup...

A thought just came to mind as you do have a 3500. The brochure pin weight of the 84 F1850 was approx 570#

If you install a 2 1/2" receiver and buy a rise draw bar that can handle 1,000 to 1,200# dead weight, maybe tow it on the ball verses the bed?? This might actually put the goose neck in the right spot to tow level and you have no modification to the camper and gain a good capacity truck receiver. Some day you may want to put the camper on a smaller truck and then do not have to worry about the goose neck mod you did. Need to check what the dimensions this will come out as. Reese does make a 6" 2 1/2" rise shank. If you know the ball height of the camper when level, top inside coupler to the ground, I might be able to help figure out if this is even possible.

You will have no sway controls like towing a camper on the ball this is now a bumper pull but your sitting on 23% dry pin weight that may end up being 25 to 28% loaded pin weight which means it will tow stable anyway. Use the mass of your truck in your favor. I know this may look a little strange, but maybe not really any stranger then towing on the ball in the bed...

Hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 03:56 PM   #3

SUN #5935
shawns_46917 is an unknown quantity at this point
I would need to add about 10 inches to move the trailer back. I tried turning and I can not turn very sharp before the bumper hits the trailer. I found there are different gooseneck extensions available and one does give you 10 more inches. I figured I can modify it cheaper. It is such a light and small trailer I don't think the extension would be a problem ,but I could brace it up if needed. Thanks
Old 11-24-2013, 06:53 PM   #4

SUN #4040
jim44646 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawns_46917 View Post
I would need to add about 10 inches to move the trailer back. I tried turning and I can not turn very sharp before the bumper hits the trailer. I found there are different gooseneck extensions available and one does give you 10 more inches. I figured I can modify it cheaper. It is such a light and small trailer I don't think the extension would be a problem ,but I could brace it up if needed. Thanks
If some thing happens and the modification breaks loose there's the liability issue for you and the welder.
Make sure welder is insured for working on hitches
Firestone Transforce AT tires
Reese Dual Cam Sway Control
jim44646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 06:31 AM   #5

SUN #12911
Thad is an unknown quantity at this point
B and W offers gooseneck balls that move the hitch back quite a bit....