Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Model Specific Forums > Sunline Que
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 07-01-2018, 08:04 PM   #1

SUN #10637
Haylee is an unknown quantity at this point
Que cushion re-do

Hi everyone. Has anyone reupholstered their cushions? We bought our trailer last week and I thought the cushions were teal. Turns out when we took an original valence down, you could see how the fabric looks after ten years. I’ve done slip covers and other more complicated sewing. This looks like it should be easy but I don’t know how the deep lengthwise crease is done.

Any advice or info on labor cost if I had them redone professionally?
See the first picture in my instagram post. https://instagram.com/p/BktjZhbltwx/

Old 07-02-2018, 09:13 AM   #2

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi Haylee,

Yeah, those do look quite dirty. I've had cushions recovered professionally, although not for a trailer, and they are pretty expensive. Hopefully you can reuse the foam to cut down on the cost, but I would be it would bet new covers would still be around $3-500.

According to the brochure, the original cushions are "Microsuede high-density core foam w/memory foam top layer". Microfiber/microsuede does get dirty, but I don't think you can use a carpet cleaner attachment to clean them. See some instructions here. Let me know if you find any cleaning instructions on the tag:

https://www.onegoodthingbyjillee.com...-safe-easy-way

I think you'd find the cushions would look a lot better with just a simple cleaning. Hopefully the fabric is somehow solvent or water safe and not vacuum only.

2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 05:26 AM   #3

SUN #10637
I posted same question in a local RV Facebook group. Someone contacted me immediately and quoted $75 per piece and I supply all materials. So labor is roughly $525. She will reuse the foam, which feels ok. The fabric store has a 50% off on home dec fabrics, in a big price range. I’ll read the cleaning info post. I still haven’t made a decision on what to do beyond probable redo.
Old 07-03-2018, 06:38 AM   #4

SUN #9529
Barisad is an unknown quantity at this point
My original plan was going to be remove the old covers and make new until I did the math. Ouch. Taking into consideration the amount of fabric, the backing needed for the ones with plywood and the zippers. There are not only zippers on the outside but on the inside where the creases are located. I decided to try and clean them. I bought the solution used in the steam cleaners for furniture. Got a bucket of sudsy water and a scrub brush. Dipped the brush, tapped off most of the water and gently brushed the cushions. Then I took an old towel and wiped them off. Let dry several days in the garage. I can live with these.

Have you considered slip covers? Like a fitted sheet, elastic around the edges to hold in place? Would be far less expensive and something you can do yourself? Could be a quick fix. They make pretty sheets, lots of fabric for the price.
Old 07-03-2018, 07:07 AM   #5

SUN #123
I think the microsuede material is a lot more absorbent to be soiled easier. I remember feeling what they were like when new. I would bet they'll clean up pretty well, and it's definitely worth a shot to try to clean them over having new made.

No matter what you do, don't remove the covers and wash them in your washing machine. I'm told covers like this will shrink in doing that, and it'll be nearly impossible to get them back on the foam and have them fit right. You're better off cleaning with some attachment with them still on the foam. Luckily with the sun and heat these days, they should dry quickly if put out in the sun.
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Old 07-03-2018, 07:19 AM   #6

SUN #9529
Que cushions

I did clean ours, bucket of sudsy water and a scrub brush. Took them into the basement, gently scrubbed them, used an old bath towel and toweled them off. Let dry for several days. Did the trick for me. Brush against then with the nap.

I discovered there are zippers inside the cushions where there are creases.. so outside AND inside zippers. Would not be a easy job to replace them unless you just did a big rectangle box of fabric. Each cushion is made of two separate pieces of foam so you’d have to join those pieces before inserting them into the cover. A layer of batting might do the trick?

Too much work for me.
Old 07-03-2018, 08:23 AM   #7

SUN #10637
Mine are just so unevenly faded I don’t think I can make a enough of a difference cleaning. I suppose it’s worth a try though but it doesn’t work I can still have them redone.
Old 07-03-2018, 10:09 AM   #8

SUN #8893
Thomascine is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi Haylee,

I am not a sewer but was able to do mine myself. Definitely not quality work but it's okay for me. I believe you said you have done some sewing. It may be worth your while to at least try one cushion to see how it turns out. Maybe one of the smaller ones. It sounds like it can get pretty pricey to hire someone to do it.

Tommie

PS - I did not do zippers. This was my first time sewing and did not know how. So the cushions are sewn closed.
Old 07-04-2018, 11:24 AM   #9

SUN #10637
Hello and Happy 4th. For now, I’m going to take everyone’s advice. First, I did a thorough vacuum job. I took all the cushions out and used my little Rocket with the power head and really went at them. It’s improved them and I feel better knowing I pulled any dust off them. I read the post about cleaning microsuede with alcohol but there really weren’t any areas that looked terribly soiled after the vacuum job. Next, one of you suggested living with them for the season. Excellent advice. I can do that.

Next, there cushions are tagged by the manufacturer: Page Cushion in Western PA. Maybe they still have the pattern info and I can see about replacements someday on the future, I have a call to them. It will be interesting to see what the say. I’ll post the info when I find out.
Old 07-04-2018, 06:08 PM   #10

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
Sounds expensive I guess I'll rule out my ideal of nice soft leather!
Old 07-05-2018, 08:20 AM   #11

SUN #123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haylee View Post
Hello and Happy 4th. For now, I’m going to take everyone’s advice. First, I did a thorough vacuum job. I took all the cushions out and used my little Rocket with the power head and really went at them. It’s improved them and I feel better knowing I pulled any dust off them. I read the post about cleaning microsuede with alcohol but there really weren’t any areas that looked terribly soiled after the vacuum job. Next, one of you suggested living with them for the season. Excellent advice. I can do that.

Next, there cushions are tagged by the manufacturer: Page Cushion in Western PA. Maybe they still have the pattern info and I can see about replacements someday on the future, I have a call to them. It will be interesting to see what the say. I’ll post the info when I find out.
We've had a few members buy from Page Foam in the past, and they all say they are a great company to work with. They don't stock much old material, but since this is a solid color, they may have the original or be able to match it pretty close. It sounds like they could send you samples if you wanted to change it up too.

I recently read in the Que brochure that the interiors were designed to be interchangeable- Sunline could ship new cushion covers and valance boards to your dealer and they could swap out your interior quickly. I've never heard about this before, but with no carpet, a few cushions, and built in Euro window shades, I could see how this could be very easy to do. So hopefully Page Foam has the dimensions on hand and can make you new ones with very little trouble.

http://www.pagefoamcp.com/recreationalvehicles.html

(notice they still have a picture from Sunline on there!)

http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f7...eet-11956.html

http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f7...tte-12068.html
Old 07-05-2018, 09:56 AM   #12

SUN #10637
What an awesome alternative ! Have them send me just the sewn covers to have put on here! I wonder if they could still do that. I have an upholstery shop locally I can check price for just putting on the covers. I’ve been watching you tube videos where they put the naked foam into a dry cleaning bag and shop vac all the air out, which compressed the foam. The squished cushions are put in the sewn cover and plastic is removed. Presto change—the cushion puffs up and fills the cover.

Shipping new empty sewn covers covers has to be more affordable. I can’t wait for them to call me back.
Old 07-05-2018, 11:03 AM   #13

SUN #9478
New2que is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haylee View Post
Hi everyone. Has anyone reupholstered their cushions? We bought our trailer last week and I thought the cushions were teal. Turns out when we took an original valence down, you could see how the fabric looks after ten years. I’ve done slip covers and other more complicated sewing. This looks like it should be easy but I don’t know how the deep lengthwise crease is done.

Any advice or info on labor cost if I had them redone professionally?
See the first picture in my instagram post. https://instagram.com/p/BktjZhbltwx/

Hi Haylee,

Congratulations on your new Que. We have a Que we purchased last year. Our cushions are in great shape, but the microfiber quickly picks up the dog hair from our terriers. We buy extra long twin sheets at Walmart and cover the cushions each time we camp. This keeps the cushions in good shape and are easy to clean after a trip! It works great. We get a color that goes with the window valances. If you wish to recover your cushions, my daughter in law did hers right over the fabric. It was in good shape, not torn. She used velcro tabs. She can remove these and launder if she needs to.

How are the decals on your Que? I just ordered vinyl to redo ours.

Happy camping!
Old 07-05-2018, 11:13 AM   #14

SUN #9529
You mentioned you ordered vinyl?

May I ask about the vinyl? Are they ready made or are you making them? We have one decal on our Que that will need to be replaced.
Old 07-05-2018, 11:43 AM   #15

SUN #9478
New2que is an unknown quantity at this point
My decals are peeling. I need to remove them. I do a lot or Cricut vinyl. Oracle 651 is for outdoor use. I will have to trace and cut out by hand. I can't find the original decals anywhere, can you?
Old 07-05-2018, 12:12 PM   #16

SUN #9529
Someone here mentioned you can go to a print shop and have them made? I’ve not looked into this. It sounds like it’s possible? My daughter had a vinyl decal made for her wall. I think it was a huge initial. I’ll have to ask her about it.

If you made one, would it be in one piece or sections? Also would it be self sticking or?
Old 07-05-2018, 01:13 PM   #17

SUN #128
Tweety
We bought a memory foam custom sized mattress with a cover from Page. (66x30” I think) They sent us fabric samples no charge, then shipped the finished mattress to us with the cover on. Their price was great, and they were easy to work with. That was at least 8 years ago though, but it’s worth a try.
2012 Arctic Fox 30U, SUNLINES - 2006 2753 "Tweety", 2007 QUE "QUEtSE", 2364, 1660
Tweety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 01:45 PM   #18

SUN #123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barisad View Post
Someone here mentioned you can go to a print shop and have them made? I’ve not looked into this. It sounds like it’s possible? My daughter had a vinyl decal made for her wall. I think it was a huge initial. I’ll have to ask her about it.

If you made one, would it be in one piece or sections? Also would it be self sticking or?
You can, but you have to have a good image of the original decal (and colors), and it's expensive. The artwork especially, to make it an image that can be printed.

There are two types of decals- printed and die-cut. The cricut machines are nice for small decals, but they don't print. You can buy cutting machines relatively cheap- but you can only have one color vinyl. The printers (technically plotters) that can print on vinyl are the most expensive part. A lot of the vinyl decals for decoration (initials, quotes, etc.) like on Etsy are all cut vinyl, not printed. Decal vinyl, for printing or for cutting, does usually come with adhesive already on it.

Luckily a lot of the Que's stripes were solid color, die-cut vinyl, so they can be easy to replicate. Not the case for most Sunlines.
Old 07-05-2018, 03:03 PM   #19

SUN #10637
Hi New2que, I purchased some pillows and a full/queen quilt to use over the cushions when it’s open for bed set up I have a tiny 4.5 pound poodle that doesn’t shed but she’s soooooo old I’m not sure we will be bringing her along.

My decals are in great shape except for some tiny curling on the front window. I’m curious about the decal replacement though. I was thinking of taking photos for future reference if replacement is needed. Also maybe a full size tracing. Or maybe checking with our neighborhood sign shop. (Not that I’m obsess or anything)
Old 07-05-2018, 03:07 PM   #20

SUN #10637
I also wonder if a few people got together if we could order a couple of sets for better pricing. I don’t think I’d do a great job of installing though

Tags
redecorating, reupholster