Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Model Specific Forums > Sunline Que
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 12-10-2007, 05:05 PM   #1

SUN #443
CaptKen
Believe I solved mystery of leak in my Que.

Everybody:

I don't know if any of you caught my post in "leaking trailer" from Nov. but I think I solved the problem. Others may experience this problem in the future or may have in the past.

I had water all over floor when driving home in rain. The problem was found when I removed wheel on kitchen side and found the black plastic wheel well was stapled to structure with commercial staples. From under kitchen sink, you could see light coming through where these staples were and the wheel well was not caulked and sealed properly. Consequently I had muddy water all over top of wheel well under sink and running all over floors from only an 80 mile trip.

I bought some Dap 100% silicone black caulk and spread it thoroughly with a rubber gloved finger all along the staples and the seam where the wheel well meets the fiberglass. I cannot see ANY light now and with as much as I used and as thoroughly as I did it, I think the problem will be solved. The other side is going to get the same treatment my next day off just in case the problem exists on that side as well.

I will try and snap photos of the process and problem area when I do the bathroom side in case anyone else wants to check theirs.

Any questions, write me.

Ken

CaptKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 06:08 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #395
HappyCampers is an unknown quantity at this point
Great detective work on finding the leak. Now you can tow in the rain without any worries. You may want to use a product calles Sikaflex on those places. It's the compound thant most manufactures of trailers and even truck bodies use when building or repairing a unit. It has a very thick consistancy that stays slightly pliable for many years, and also works as a glue. You can buy it cheaper at any home improvement store instead of at a RV dealer. Works great for sealing around anything, it's probably what was used around all your roof vents.

2003 F-304SR (Last Sunline "The Big One")
1985 T-1650 (Current Sunline)
2004.5 Dodge Ram 3500 5.9 HO Cummins
HappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 04:53 PM   #3

SUN #198
ELPilotto
Well done. I'll have to check ours out but I don't suspect we have the same problem. Just remember, you still have to close those roof vents.
ELPilotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 12:47 PM   #4

SUN #443
CaptKen
Hey Everybody

Took the Que camping this past weekend and a snow-storm came in. I drove almost 100 miles home on wet/slushy roads and had no more leaks!

I guess caulking the wheel wells worked.

Merry Christmas to all of you fine folks!!!

Ken
CaptKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 08:31 PM   #5

SUN #198
ELPilotto
Completed the same repair today. That is definitely where the water came from. The fit and finish of the lower wheel wells looks great, it's the "arch seem" that is the problem. Used GE 100% Silicone Black Caulk, and there were some spots where I had to build up the caulk in the gap. The wheel well inserts appear to have buckled slightly when those staples went in. Or maybe it was the force that was used to sink those staples.

Our leaks were fairly minor but should be altogether gone now. The ONLY way to perform this repair is with the wheels off, I know, seems obvious, but it could be done WAYYYYY faster if you could leave 'em on.
ELPilotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 08:29 PM   #6

SUN #480
peekay
Just got back from 150 miles of rain. Trailer floor is all wet with water. I independently diagnosed the problem to be the wheel well also. I cannot believe they can put out such a shoddily designed wheelwell design. The rest of the trailer so far has been good. But such an obvious error makes me wonder where else they may have took shortcuts.

2007 Sunline T-1950 #7002
2007 Que SE VIN#6309 (traded in)
2007 Toyota Tacoma
peekay is offline   Reply With Quote