Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Model Specific Forums > Sunline Que
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 12-04-2007, 06:51 PM   #1

SUN #483
sergio
Advice for a QUE purchase

Hello all, this is my first post. I've been reading all the information on the QUE TT and have learned a great deal. Great site.

I'm in the process of buying a 17' QUE TT...my first TT...and I would like to ask your opinions on several units I've found, both new and used, and whether the prices are in line with current market values.

I have seen and inspected the QUE TTs before and I've always been very impressed by their design, the layout (I love the bathroom, with the separate shower stall, in a trailer this size), the quality materials used and the great reputation for reliability. To be honest, I really loved the new Airstream Sport 17' I saw last week, but the mid-thirties ($) price is a bit steep for my first TT.

I live part of the year in Florida and the other half of the year (the warmer months) in Santa Fe. I'm looking for a small, light TT I can easily tow with my '07 Toyota 4Runner (V6, 4WD, towing package) to all my favorite fishing, photography, climbing and mountain biking spots. Up to now I've been tent camping or staying in motels. I'm really tired of the cold, hard ground or the declining quality, increasing cost and the shocking lack of cleanliness in the motels close to all the spots I frequent...the last one in which I stayed had me sneezing uncontrollably all night, the mold was so bad!

The first unit I've located is a new loaded '07 QUE RE in Ocala, Fl. I liked the RE floorplan, but I prefer the SE since I feel it has a more open feel and it better utilizes the side-mounted awning. This one has been sitting on the dealer's lot for nearly 500 days; this info is from the inventory list the salesperson showed me...he apparently didn't place his thumb over this section quickly enough and I was able to see it. It defintely looks like it's been sitting out in the open for a year and half...quite dirty with a lot of black. mildewy residue along the seams and other areas. The interior looked tracked-through and the fabric was pretty dusty, somewhat worn and covered with lint. The asking price was $19,900, but his manager reduced it to $16,900 when he found out I was interested, and even followed me out to my vehicle as I was leaving asking me to make "any reasonable offer to take the unit home". Questions: Would a unit like this, sitting out, unused for so long, present any problems? And what would be a "reasonable offer"?

The second unit I located is a loaded '07 QUE SE, "slightly used..looks like new" for an "asking" price of $12,999. The dealer answered all my questions, sent me ton of pix, and claimed the unit had been owned by a "sweet, elderly couple who traded up for a diesel pusher". He further stated it had never been smoked-in and no pets were ever in the unit...I have a delicate nose, you see. The detailed pix all looked great, and the thing looks "like new" in all respects, both inside and out. I'm planning to see this one in the next day or so, and smell the interior. Question: Given that these units are no longer being made, and not supported by the factory warranty (correct me if I'm mistaken about this), and this is a "used" unit, am I asking for trouble? Is the "asking" price fair, and what would be a good counter-offer if all is well? What could I expect in the way of a warranty from the dealer when buying a used TT?

The third unit I've found (my favorite) is a new loaded '07 SE with the lighter cushions...the photos show a sand-colored fabric. The other two discussed above have the dark red fabric, and I'm not partial to this color. Asking price for this one is $17,900, and dealer states the price will be further reduced, but no final price is given. Question: If I decide to make an offer, what would be a reasonable offer below the stated asking price?

I've found a few other new QUE units, but they're all farther from me than an easy day's drive. I see asking prices all over the place, from MSRP to heavily-discounted figures. The used one above is the lowest asking price I've found so far for an '07 model. I'm wary of a used model, but, since this one looks to be in excellent shape...how much wear and tear could that sweet, elderly, non-smoking, pet-less couple have inflicted on this TT?...and the savings could be significant over buying new, is the money saved worth any potential pitfalls possibly encountered when buying a previously-owned unit?

Sorry for the very long post. And thanks ahead of time for any advice provided.

Old 12-04-2007, 07:33 PM   #2

SUN #198
ELPilotto
There's at least 1 new one available in our area listed at $17,500 so the prices you've listed are not out of line. We've owned Q*Bert since it pretty much came off the line in late '06 and I am still impressed with its quality. In well over a year we had had 0 problems with any component of our Que. Through this message board you'll also find some handy modifications that even the factory hadn't thought of. The floor plan of the SE is IMHO the best use of such a small space, yet, when you're tucked inside on a rainy night it doesn't feel as small as it is. We are towing the Que with an '05 Toyota Sienna or our '97 Merc Mountaineer and neither vehicle has an issue with the Que. (FYI, with the Sienna we never tow with water in the tanks.) I believe our next tow vehicle will be a 4Runner - Recently test drove a V6 and I am certain that it would do just fine with the Que. I would be a little leary of the unit that is as dirty as you say with mold and black streaks, ours has been in use since we bought it and it still looks like it left the showroom yesterday. Doesn't say much about the dealership that is holding it.

Sadly, Sunline is out of business, but you would be hard pressed to find another TT in this size/weight class built with this much quality. I'm certain others will chime in and ditto some of these comments.

ELPilotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 09:10 PM   #3

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Sergio,

First of all, welcome!

Let me clear up the warranty issue. Neither new or used will come with a FULL warranty. However, each coach still carries the individual warranties on the appliances and components, such as the stove, microwave, refer, water pump, etc. I'll admit some dealers, to make a sale, will agree to pay for warranty (maybe about 1-2 years) on a new Sunline through an outside company.

I don't think the RE in Ocala would be a major problem, but the current condition can be something to worry about. As long as nothing has leaked (it shouldn't on a new trailer), it should clean up fine. If you're willing to take the risk, it probably requires just simple deep cleaning. You could also see if the dealer will clean it up. If you say you aren't interested unless it's clean, they will probably do it right away. I suspect the cushions aren't worn, the microfiber has just trappped some dust and it looks worn. I quick vacuum job will be the determining factor. I wouldn't consider this unit even clean unless they could come near that $12-13k figure. Since they have been sitting on it so long, they should be glad to get rid of it and their cost should be well under that number. It sounds like they will from their actions you described. The appliances should be fine as they were probably never used.

The SE in Oasis (red) does sound like a good deal, but make sure everything appliance wise works fine. Have the dealer pull the unit up by the garage and plug it in for when you arrive. As soon as you get there, turn the refer on. If everything all works, I'd say it's a good choice. You should have the dealer in Ocala get that unit by the garage too.

The SE in Country (tan) also sounds good, but again, have the dealer work with you and pull it up by a power plug. Make sure everything works and I'd start negotiations around the 12-13k mark.

Good luck in your search. Any dealer should be more than willing to work with you for your power needs if the sale means anything to them.

Jon
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 09:59 AM   #4

SUN #128
Tweety
QUEs were selling on ebay for $13,900 so start below that and don't pay more than that. Also, remember that it's winter up north so if you drive a littleyou might get a better deal. I agree with Jon that the guy in Ocala should be happy to get that one off his lot. Make him put in the contract that he'll clean it up and list the specifics of what you want done. We just bought a used unit from Stoltzfus in Adamstown, and when we picked it up it was like a new trailer, they had done such a nice job prepping it. We liked our SE because of the open floor space.
2012 Arctic Fox 30U, SUNLINES - 2006 2753 "Tweety", 2007 QUE "QUEtSE", 2364, 1660
Tweety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 11:59 AM   #5

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Sergio,

Had you seen this one? I had posted it in the FS forum a little while ago. I hate to throw another into the mix, but it looks in good shape and they're asking a good price:

http://www.rvonline.com/single-ad.asp?Recnumber=38896

Jon

P.S. Is this the RE you found in Ocala?

http://www.crosscountryrvonline.com/...ck_Num=POT6221
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 02:12 PM   #6

SUN #480
peekay
Re: Advice for a QUE purchase

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergio
Hello all, this is my first post. I've been reading all the information on the QUE TT and have learned a great deal. Great site.

I'm in the process of buying a 17' QUE TT...my first TT...and I would like to ask your opinions on several units I've found, both new and used, and whether the prices are in line with current market values.

I have seen and inspected the QUE TTs before and I've always been very impressed by their design, the layout (I love the bathroom, with the separate shower stall, in a trailer this size), the quality materials used and the great reputation for reliability. To be honest, I really loved the new Airstream Sport 17' I saw last week, but the mid-thirties ($) price is a bit steep for my first TT.

I live part of the year in Florida and the other half of the year (the warmer months) in Santa Fe. I'm looking for a small, light TT I can easily tow with my '07 Toyota 4Runner (V6, 4WD, towing package) to all my favorite fishing, photography, climbing and mountain biking spots. Up to now I've been tent camping or staying in motels. I'm really tired of the cold, hard ground or the declining quality, increasing cost and the shocking lack of cleanliness in the motels close to all the spots I frequent...the last one in which I stayed had me sneezing uncontrollably all night, the mold was so bad!

The first unit I've located is a new loaded '07 QUE RE in Ocala, Fl. I liked the RE floorplan, but I prefer the SE since I feel it has a more open feel and it better utilizes the side-mounted awning. This one has been sitting on the dealer's lot for nearly 500 days; this info is from the inventory list the salesperson showed me...he apparently didn't place his thumb over this section quickly enough and I was able to see it. It defintely looks like it's been sitting out in the open for a year and half...quite dirty with a lot of black. mildewy residue along the seams and other areas. The interior looked tracked-through and the fabric was pretty dusty, somewhat worn and covered with lint. The asking price was $19,900, but his manager reduced it to $16,900 when he found out I was interested, and even followed me out to my vehicle as I was leaving asking me to make "any reasonable offer to take the unit home". Questions: Would a unit like this, sitting out, unused for so long, present any problems? And what would be a "reasonable offer"?

The second unit I located is a loaded '07 QUE SE, "slightly used..looks like new" for an "asking" price of $12,999. The dealer answered all my questions, sent me ton of pix, and claimed the unit had been owned by a "sweet, elderly couple who traded up for a diesel pusher". He further stated it had never been smoked-in and no pets were ever in the unit...I have a delicate nose, you see. The detailed pix all looked great, and the thing looks "like new" in all respects, both inside and out. I'm planning to see this one in the next day or so, and smell the interior. Question: Given that these units are no longer being made, and not supported by the factory warranty (correct me if I'm mistaken about this), and this is a "used" unit, am I asking for trouble? Is the "asking" price fair, and what would be a good counter-offer if all is well? What could I expect in the way of a warranty from the dealer when buying a used TT?

The third unit I've found (my favorite) is a new loaded '07 SE with the lighter cushions...the photos show a sand-colored fabric. The other two discussed above have the dark red fabric, and I'm not partial to this color. Asking price for this one is $17,900, and dealer states the price will be further reduced, but no final price is given. Question: If I decide to make an offer, what would be a reasonable offer below the stated asking price?

I've found a few other new QUE units, but they're all farther from me than an easy day's drive. I see asking prices all over the place, from MSRP to heavily-discounted figures. The used one above is the lowest asking price I've found so far for an '07 model. I'm wary of a used model, but, since this one looks to be in excellent shape...how much wear and tear could that sweet, elderly, non-smoking, pet-less couple have inflicted on this TT?...and the savings could be significant over buying new, is the money saved worth any potential pitfalls possibly encountered when buying a previously-owned unit?

Sorry for the very long post. And thanks ahead of time for any advice provided.
just to give you a point of reference, I just purchased my Que for $15k plus taxes and registration. It was advertised at $17k, with an msrp of ~$26.5k. I'm sure I could have gotten it for lower, but it was the last one around here and I didn't want to take a chance of losing out on it. In the end, if I were you, I'd make an offer for the new cream color one, and if the dealer wasn't willing to budge, go for the used one.

As for the used one, nothing on the Que is going to cost more than $1k to replace/repair unless it's something structural like the roof/walls/frame. In light of that, inspect the frame well and do a leak test. If it all checks out, make an offer of around $10k for the used one and take anything less than asking.
2007 Sunline T-1950 #7002
2007 Que SE VIN#6309 (traded in)
2007 Toyota Tacoma
peekay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 06:33 PM   #7

SUN #483
sergio
To Sunline Fan: Yes, I did see that one when I was searching the internet. I noticed the line below the photos reading "sold it" and thought it had already been sold. It looks like a great unit and the price is right. I'll contact the seller to see if it's still on the market.

To all the others who responded...thanks so much for your prompt and helpful responses.

I've scheduled a visit to see the used QUE on Friday. The dealer's salesperson called me back several times, anxious for me to see it, so I suspect he's amenable to all reasonable offers. This one seems like it's in great condition from the many photos the dealer e-mailed me. As suggested, I'll try to determine the stuctural integrity as best I can, but I'm not sure where to look inside or around the unit to detect any potential or existing problems.

When I was giving the RE unit in Ocala the once-over...it's very close to Gainesville, where I'm located, so I was able to see it easily...I looked into most of the hidden nooks and cranies, both in and outside the unit. Is this where I should examine a used unit to see if it has sustained structural damage? Are there any other areas I should inspect not readily visible? The chassis underneath, suspension, axles, roof liner, etc? If I knew what to look for and where, I believe I'd be able to see existing problems.

The QUE with the light-colored fabric interior really appeals to me, I suspect it might provide a more open and ample feel, though the dark red fabric is handsome and goes well with the dark wood tones of the cabinetry. That particular unit is located in northern Georgia, right off I-75, and would be an easy drive from north Florida. Since that one is new, and if the used model is not satisfactory, I'll likely try to negotiate a selling price with the dealer over the phone (or via e-mail) then drive up to take delivery. I'll try the suggested offers as a starting point and see how it goes.

The QUE is really a very nice little TT. I had a chance to sit quietly inside the RE model (in Ocala) for a long while, just to get a good feel for the unit and see how liveable it might be over the long haul. I have to admit I was extremely inpressed by the QUE's interior quality and fit and finish. It was amazingly quiet inside. I was very surprised by the window construction and the pleasantly-tinted glass; they slid open and closed with a satisfying precision not found in other units. I opened up the front awning, slid down the pleated privacy screens on the front and side windows, sat back in the u-shaped lounge area and was really amazed by the extremely bright, panoramic view these three windows provided. I could really imagine the QUE set up in some scenic location, like Arches or Canyonlands at sunrise or sunset. I'm anxious to see how the SE floorplan feels.

I was most impressed by the wood cabinetry, how smooth and well-proportioned the rounded lines are, and by the well-integrated appliances and storage areas. Also, the small recessed lighting fixtures all throughout the unit were a real surprise; they look very upscale and high-tech and I'm sure they are very pleasing at night. The bathroom area is what really sold me on the QUE. It's amazing how spacious and attractive it is for a unit this size. I'm over six feet tall and I could actually stand up in the separate, enclosed shower.

The entire interior reminded me of a small, compact, quality, well-crafted sailboat interior, not at all like most of the RVs I've seen over the years, with their cheap-looking, thrown-together and flimsy interiors. The only other unit I've seen so far that impressed me as much was the little 17' Airstream Sport, but, as I already stated, I'm having a really hard time justifying spending that much and the QUE seems like it will be as satisying.

I hope I'm not putting too much thought into this process. Thanks again for all the help. I'll let you know what happens.
Old 12-06-2007, 05:50 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #395
HappyCampers is an unknown quantity at this point
Looks like you've already made up your mind. You won't be dissapointed with a Sunline. Be wary of the Airstream, I had one and a year (and lots of $$$ in repairs) was all it took for me to get totally fed up and go back to Sunline. Mine was an older, and supposidly better, Airstream built when Airstream was it's own company. They are now owned by Thor and are having a lot of quality issues, not to mention they are a lot more money to start with. When an Airstream leaks it's nearly inpossible to find the source. The water gets in between the skins (exterior and interior) and travels until it finds a way out. The leaks could be really far from where you find the water. I resealed every window, roof vent, plumbing vent, hatch, fridge vent cover, etc... and still couldn't find the leaks. They are also very easily dented by limbs, walnuts, hail, and even the neighbor kids basketball. Mine got dented by a limb and the cost to replace the panel was staggering. Well I'll get off my AS bashing soap box now, and wish you luck in your decision.

2003 F-304SR (Last Sunline "The Big One")
1985 T-1650 (Current Sunline)
2004.5 Dodge Ram 3500 5.9 HO Cummins
HappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote