Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Modifications
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 05-07-2018, 08:31 PM   #1

SUN #9763
Digmenow is an unknown quantity at this point
The Belly of the Beast! (or... How I Moved My Sewer Hose Away From the Bumper)

I had previously mentioned in another thread that I was looking for an alternative to storing my ill fitting Rhino sewer line with its oversized bayonet couplers in the 1950's bumper before I did irrevocable harm to it forcing it in and prying it out. I had wanted to add a PVC tube above the bumper but that would have obstructed the rear cargo door and that just wasn't going to happen. After much discussion here and a lot of YouTube videos later, I finally came up with a plan of action which I executed today.

If you're reading this, you're probably thinking, " Not another set of pictures of a PVC fence post slung under the camper!".

Well ... yes. And no.

See, in all of those videos and on all those RV hack list sites, after the initial hanging of the post under the camper, I just never saw a closure system on a square setup like this that seemed as if it could have come from the factory that way. People used bungees, gate hooks, hex head screws (Really? Who keeps a nutdriver around for that kind of thing?) and I don't remember what all else.

I wanted my end caps to be easily secured AND look good doing it.

I started by cutting the post down to about 8 inches beyond the frame rails so that it wouldn't be a shin banging hazard. I should mention here that the 1950 has had an axle flip so I have plenty of ground clearance but it should still work at stock height. I picked up some metal brackets at Lowe's and screwed them in near the top of the post wall (after painting them with white Rustoleum) so that the hardware would not interfere with the hose and fittings as it went in and out.

Then I installed my secret weapon. Window sash locks and chain keepers.

I considered using vinyl coated wire for the keepers but they deteriorate in the sun over time and the vinyl cracks off so even if the chain rusts, it will still work for a long, long time.

Everything fits now, even the elbow although I sill have to detach it and it's a squeeze to get it in but I no longer have to wash it carefully and store it in a baggie inside the camper. The chain is attached at one end to one of the screws that holds the bracket to the post and the other goes to a sheet metal screw that goes into a hole in the bottom of the post to lock the bottom of the cap into place. Then I pop the top of the cap into place and flip the sash lock closed.

Makes it look ten years younger, yeah?

I'm thinking about drilling some drain/evaporation holes but really, why? It's all plastic and there's nothing to rust from the moisture other than the stainless steel screwheads on the brackets. I'd rather keep the rain splashwater and the bugs out.

2004 Solaris 280SR
Previously: 2003 Solaris Lite T-1950
"The Land of Pleasant Living!"
Digmenow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 05:13 AM   #2

SUN #9763
Some after thoughts that I forgot to mention...
  • Everything seen above (not including the Rhino hose) cost a little under $40.
  • Both ends of the compartment are set up the same with the sash locks and chains to give access to either end.
  • The 2 U shaped slots seen in the closeup allow the nuts on the end cap part of the sash lock to have the clearance needed to easily pop the cap onto the post. I just used the drill to grind out the slots. They aren't pretty but they're out of sight 99% of the time.
  • The sash locks have two washers under each side between the bottom of the lock and the mounting surface of the post to create enough height to allow the lock to properly engage the part that is on the endcaps
  • The mounting brackets are attached to the frame rail with a single 1/4" bolt, lock washer and nut through each of the 4 brackets. If you try this, make sure to use a high quality drill bit and some oil to help it stay cool and cut the metal. I burned up a cheap bit on the first hole and wasted almost an hour! DeWalt for the win.
  • I'm still considering adding a rain gutter slide out tray as others here have done but everything comes out easily enough and I figured there might not always be 6 or 7 feet available after the camper is parked to pull it out. Still, it's a good idea so...maybe.

2004 Solaris 280SR
Old 05-08-2018, 07:49 PM   #3

SUN #7990
BenB is an unknown quantity at this point
Looks great Dig, I like the window latch idea.

I have a gutter tray in mine, what is nice about the tray is I also store extra pieces on the same gutter to support the sewer hose at full hookup sites.

To your conceren out needing to pull it out 6-7 feet I dont think I have ever pulled mine out more than 2-3 feet to get to my regular hose. I have an extension stored in there too but can get it out from the oposite side if needed.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Current Camper: 2006 Sunline T-264SR
Previous Camper: 1998 Coleman Mesa
Tow Vehicle: 2002 Chevrolet Avalanche 2500, 8.1L, 4X4
DirecLink Brake Controller, Draw-Tite Ultra Frame Receiver, Reese HP Trunnion Bar Hitch W/ HP DC
BenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 10:41 PM   #4

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
The window latch! Bingo!!

Nice solution.

Great job and thanks for posting.

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 04:14 AM   #5

SUN #9763
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenB View Post
Looks great Dig, I like the window latch idea.

I have a gutter tray in mine, what is nice about the tray is I also store extra pieces on the same gutter to support the sewer hose at full hookup sites.

To your conceren out needing to pull it out 6-7 feet I dont think I have ever pulled mine out more than 2-3 feet to get to my regular hose. I have an extension stored in there too but can get it out from the oposite side if needed.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
Yeah, I'm probably overreacting to the length of the gutter but I'm a worst case kind of guy. Your 6 inch diameter capacity is a thing to envy. With that much real estate, I could probably leave the elbow attached and keep the hose completely assembled. As it is, I have to detach it and I can just barely squeeze it into the 4 inch space ...but... at least it's out of the camper!

I had read your thread with interest last fall but as I mentioned, with the 1950, neither the top or bottom of the bumper was a viable location. Regardless, you helped point me in the right direction. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
The window latch! Bingo!!

Nice solution.

Great job and thanks for posting.
The design of the sash lock actually snugs the cap more tightly onto the post. Thanks.

I took a hiatus from the camper as well as posting on the site throughout the winter. A stupidly debilitating behind the knee injury and the death of the old TV forced me to focus on other parts of real life. Acquiring the new TV (more on that in another thread later) was a soul draining saga that lasted several months.

SWMBO and I just got the cover off the 1950 last weekend and I am working feverishly on it to get it ready for the season's first outing this weekend, a two nighter at Gettysburg Campground.

I'm testing the water system today to see if there are any leaks after my water heater debacle last fall.

It's good to be back.

2004 Solaris 280SR
Old 05-09-2018, 07:57 AM   #6

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Great job, Dig!
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 05:59 PM   #7

SUN #1546
apackoftwo is an unknown quantity at this point
Very cool!

Joan & Miss Emme Lu Who
Full Timing in T-1950 2005 Anniversary Model
1997 6.5L Chevy Turbo Diesel Truck
"Pure Michigan"
Facebook: Apackof2 for the Rd
apackoftwo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags