Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Modifications
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 06-03-2008, 06:36 PM   #1

SUN #597
henryj
Swinging Door Stop

We have a 2499 with a bathroom door that bounces around if not quite level or the stabilizer jacks aren't down. I got the idea here, from JohnB I believe, but this is the solution that came to me as I was looking for the parts.

I found this cabinet door catch at Home Depot on the shelf with all the other magnetic catches etc. This one is sourced in Canada, but I expect a similar item would also be in US stores. The larger of two sizes turned out to be a perfect fit as I'll show you later.

I removed the shower access cover from the bedroom wall to see what I would be drilling into. I mounted the longer female part of the clasp on the panel below the shower because that way the bottom screw went into the 3/4" framework behind the panel. There was just enough room to slide a pencil under the door and mark the location of the bottom hole. With Karen's help, I glued a small backing block on the panel from in behind so that the top screw had a full depth of wood to turn into. Karen turned the top screw in right away while I pushed on the backing block--that way the screw snugged the block and glue up against the back of the panel. There is a good bit of 3/4" framework behind this panel, just not in the right spot to drill into except for the bottom screw--so everything actually is quite solid.

Vertical alignment of the two parts is critical or they won't mate at all and there are no second chances. Horizontal isn't quite as critical and as you can see in the photo, I was off by a bit here. I placed the male half right at the edge of the door and marked the edge--not easy to do with bifocals and my cheek on the floor.

Despite the angle of the door, the clasp catches perfectly--and even better--the rubber bumper hits the shower just as it always has just as you push the clasp together so there's no undue pressure on the paneling.

There is a slight hazard of stepping on the male part of the catch when the door is closed and you're standing in front of the sink. I tried to, but it's very unlikely.

Henry

henryj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 09:51 PM   #2

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Henry

Very Nice Job. I like it. Actually I like it better then the magnet approach that I did. The ball detent latch is smaller and probably does not rattle once closed. The magnet/door can rattle as the TT bounces when someone is walking around. Play in the magnet housing.

The magnet works for sure, but I had to fiddle with it a little more to get it just right. And it is bigger.

I fully agree with you about the need for the door latch. Mine drove me nuts swinging closed or open unless the TT was exactly level is 2 directions.

For those following along, here is the magnet approach to compare with Henry’s. Which ever one you use, you will be a happy camper not having that door swing closed/open all the time.

Henry thanks for posting. Upgrades and pic’s are always cool.

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote