Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Modifications
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 08-07-2010, 01:10 PM   #1

SUN #83
Both2Retired
Stovetop Vent

In our 2763, we have a re-circulating vent above our stove. IMO - pretty useless.
Has anyone ever replaced their re-circulating vent for a vent that exhausts to the outside? What's involved?
Thanks.

5.7-Liter V8 Hemi
5-speed auto
Both2Retired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 06:35 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #897
EMD_Driver is an unknown quantity at this point
We haven't done it, but we are considering it. Kitty feels the same way, about the "Vent" over the stove...

2007 Peterson Excel Limited 30RKE
2014 Ford F350XLT SRW Crew Cab, Long bed 6.7PSD

EMD_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 08:12 AM   #3

SUN #987
awellis3
My 1995 2653 has a vent to the outside. It even has clips to keep the outside door flap closed while travelling. So the parts are out there.

If no one else can help, the next time I go to the storage lot, I'll try to get some manuf. names and part nos.

Teach
"Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows."
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 03:00 PM   #4

SUN #385
Hematite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Both2Retired View Post
In our 2763, we have a re-circulating vent above our stove. IMO - pretty useless.
Has anyone ever replaced their re-circulating vent for a vent that exhausts to the outside? What's involved?
Thanks.
You can save yourself a lot of trouble and do what I do. Open the window nearest the stove and turn on the nearest roof vent. Seems to work well and doesn't lose a lot of A/C as long as the fan is not turned tooo high.

2007 Ford F150 FX4 Supercab 4x4, 5.4 FFV engine, 3.73LS.
Hematite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 06:41 PM   #5

SUN #973
DianeScraps
Send a message via Yahoo to DianeScraps
but wouldn't that take away some of the fun of constantly setting off the smoke detectors?

1999 T2970 Sunline, Retired 2015

Current Camper is a 2016 Starcraft 28QBS
DianeScraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 08:10 PM   #6

SUN #549
frank
Quote:
Originally Posted by Both2Retired View Post
Thanks.
There's a few different varieties of vented RV range hoods out there, meaning where the vent exits the unit. Some exit rear top center, some exit rear top offset to one side, and others vent out the side. You would need to choose the one that works best for your situation. In the case of a rear vent, I would try to choose the centered vs. offset judging by which one would land me between two studs in the wall.

Now, the vent duct itself. I don't recall the actual dimensions, but it is something in the neighborhood of 3" by 10". A hole to accomodate that duct would have to be cut in the coach wall, and (this is the tricky part) framing needs to be put around the opening so that the outside vent cover can attach to it.

Here's a couple of pictures I have from the one installed in my current project build. This is the duct through the wall and the framing I was talking about:

And here's the outside vent cover I was talking about:

Without the siding in the way, this is a piece of cake. With the siding in the way, it can be done, but it is going to be a bit tricky and will require some patience. One trick to make it easier would be to cut and remove (then replace later) a small section of the interior paneling to gain additional working room to install the framing. You would need to be extremely careful to keep the cut section entirely behind the hood itself to keep the work "invisible." I would be very leery of installing it without framing the opening because you need that outside cover to be water tight, and that means being able to tighten those screws enough to "seal" it.

Other than dealing with the opening, it is a pretty simple job. The hood is held in by 4 screws, and it's a 2 wire hookup.

Hope this helps some!

- Frank
Old 08-09-2010, 06:02 PM   #7

SUN #258
pwb01 is an unknown quantity at this point
I considered one myself but installed a Maxx Air fan on a roof vent nearby. It works well for heat venting from the stove and cooling the unit on 12v. While asking a parts person for an outside hood vent he said several coach companies stopped installing them (Sunline included) because they've had trouble with critters when they didn't close properly.

2013 Rockwood 8280WS 5th wheel
2006 Sunline Solaris T-1950
pwb01 is offline   Reply With Quote