Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Modifications
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 05-08-2009, 10:05 PM   #1

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Slide Topper Installation

I don't have much to say about it, we (aside from the constant arguing from the old guys) pretty much followed the directions included with the topper.

I picked it up on 2/28. It was all the way up to the edge of the windshield:

From start to finish, it took about three hours to complete the job. Could have been quicker if I didn't have so much "help". I wouldn't say it's impossible to do one person, but it would certainly be difficult. Once the topper is up there, everything could be done by one person, though it might just take a little longer. Fortunately I did have access to two 8' ladders, but I don't think it was critical. For those wondering, I did go get a new roll of putty tape this afternoon, so that was fresh.

I washed the roof first because it would be much easier to do now:

I knew someone would ask...I did put 303 on the top seal before the topper went on and then later did the sides. Yes, the bottle is from 2001-2002, so that's why it looks so yellow:

Sorry about all the bugs...it's been raining here a lot over the past week, so I haven't bothered to wash them off. Surely they'll be gone before going to Gateway.

The regular pop rivet gun wouldn't work...it was too hard to pull, so out came the air one:

Not more than five minutes after I finished closing everything up and came inside, it started raining heavy!

Awning center tension rafter comes on Saturday...hopefully, if the rain holds out.

Jon

2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 08:49 AM   #2

SUN #549
frank
Re: Slide Topper Installation

Looks great Jon!

Very impressed to see you making some modifications over there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunline Fan
Could have been quicker if I didn't have so much "help".
Now THAT I do understand.

- Frank

Old 07-13-2009, 02:43 PM   #3

SUN #809
ihsolutions
Thanks for taking the time to post all these pics Jon. I've ordered two slide awnings for my F-293SR and the illustration makes it look simple (though, I am wondering what you need to pop-rivet?)

I ordered a 66" awning for my bedroom slide, and a 158" (I think) for the large sofa/dinette slide. This one I expect to be a little tricky, so I'll do the small one first. The third slide for the galley, on the door side, I don't think really needs one since the regular awning will cover that 95% of the time.

I did take a couple of those swim noodles and slice them length-wise to cover the sharp edges along the galley slide, so that the awning doesn't get torn in the event of winds, etc.
2012 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD D/A DRW, Classy Chassis Conversion, aka "Garage Queen II"
Hensley Trailersaver BD3 Air Hitch
ihsolutions is offline   Reply With Quote