Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Modifications
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 07-26-2014, 03:06 PM   #1

SUN #6257
JerryJ is an unknown quantity at this point
single or dual axle?

when dealing with a smaller size trailer if I wanted to upgrade, example: FROM a T1350 and go larger regardless of brand, what is your opinion on a single axle versus a dual axle?
Dual axle can be considered safer if a tire blows. But a dual axle has more weight and can take away from a single axle if someone's prime concern is fuel economy.
What are the pros and cons of each?

Jerry & Debbie
Ford Explorer 4.6 Triton V8, AWD, 4x4
1985 Sunline Saturn T-1350
Ham radio VE3JCJ, VHF, UHF and HF
JerryJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 04:30 PM   #2

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
The twin axles handle way better. I pull a T1700 with a Tacoma no sway bar or equalizer. I don't think the weight is that great a factor the air drag is what makes all the difference as long as your with in the vehicle capacity. N3LYT by the way 17 meters is my favorite and rag chew on 50.4 AM in the evenings enjoy portable in the camper 10,12,15 and 17 with a home built rotatable dipole.

Old 07-26-2014, 06:02 PM   #3

SUN #6257
JerryJ is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks Tim
I have many of the bands as well but haven't been active for some time. Weird, I seem to be busier now during retirement than when I worked and raised a family. maybe during the summer I'll double check my dipole (long wire) and try 17. I do have an auto tuner so if I can it get it to resonate at 17 we'll give it a go. When I was on the air I was usually on 20m and 80m. My dipoles are all home brew so I'd have to drop the one that's up there and do a re & re
I have two Yeasu FT8900R quad-bands, one for the base and one for the mobile.
I have an Icom IC 706MK11G HF and a VX7-R and like most respectable hams, many other toys. After the summer rush is over with I'll have to get back on the air and we can hook up. We had our share of lousy winter, severe ice and wind and even this summer it's not as hot as it was last summer. I definitely need to check things out before I get back on the air.

Thanks for the info on the dual axle. We'll be keeping our T1350 for a while but I was always curious if we ever did go bigger what my axle choice would be. 73

Jerry & Debbie
Ford Explorer 4.6 Triton V8, AWD, 4x4
1985 Sunline Saturn T-1350
Ham radio VE3JCJ, VHF, UHF and HF
JerryJ is offline   Reply With Quote