Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Modifications
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 05-08-2019, 02:06 AM   #1

SUN #11201
danileeland is an unknown quantity at this point
remove interior wall?

Hey there ya'll,
I was showing off my new purchase and my buddy suggested removing the wall that separates main area from bedroom.
Is that safe? I have a 1999 Sunline Solaris 2475. I was debating about removing wall but keeping cabinets if that would be better for structure. I am willing to building out a header beam or throw up a support pole if it is needed for structure safety.
I think I attached a picture of my floorpan. I have been searching all over and could not find a true "blueprint" for my model.
Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated!
Thank you!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sunlinet-2475floorplan.jpg (133.6 KB, 16 views)

Old 05-09-2019, 08:16 PM   #2

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi danileeland,

Congrats on your new Sunny and welcome to the club.

I also happen to have a T2475, it is a 2004.

To what extent of removing the wall between the kitchen area and the bedroom are you thinking about? All of it, part of it etc? and what is the new feature you are wanting to create?

Reasoning for asking deals with the left to right stability of the camper and other things relating to how the camper is built.

The wall starts on the left side of the camper. I'm not sure in yours, but in ours the furnace is under the couch. The furnace would be difficult to relocate. In this case you would not be able to remove the wall all the way to the left side.

Overhead cabinets above the couch. These are screwed in from the ceiling and the screws in the top are only accessible from up in the attic of the roof. Meaning under the rubber roof which is not accessible easily. If you pull out the cabinets from the ceiling board to deal with the screws, there will be a good number of torn out holes in the ceiling board to figure out how to deal with.

If you remove the wall down to the floor tile, there will be a level of screw holes in the floor tile exposed. Those floor tile holes are not a structural concern, but the looks of the holes in the tile may not be appealing. Also there can be a shade of color difference in the floor tile from sun fading.

Stability, the way campers are made, the interior walls and cabinets actually create structural stability to the camper. The is very different from a house as the walls are so thin in a camper. Meaning, if you did totally take out all the cabinets and the walls, the camper shell (the walls) would very wiggily. Towing many miles in that condition will sooner or later start creating issues. Some being leaks in the corners of the camper as the corners flex, the sealants are stressed. And the more movement, the faster the stress and the cracks in the sealants start leading to potential leaks.

That said, the part that is not known is, in your vintage T2475 will removing some or all of that wall cause left to right stability in the camper? This all comes back to, how much of the wall are you talking about, (try and be specific as you can) as some minor things may not affect it, but some larger ones might.

Hope this helps.

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
demo, interior wall, remodel, remove wall, update