Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Modifications
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 07-07-2013, 06:30 PM   #1

SUN #5360
SunlineKy is an unknown quantity at this point
Redoing Floor and Adding Space

I have a 2001 T2370 and I have a couple soft spots in the floor, so I am going to do a repair on them. From there I am going to rip up the carpet in the queen bed area and then run Laminate Flooring all the way through it.

I have this idea. I have owned the camper going on 6 yrs so I have a good grasp on what and how we use the camper. We have never used the table for sleeping and we do not eat in the camper. Rain or Shine we eat outside either under the awning or at the picnic table in the screen house.

So I want to remove the kitchen table and booth seating. Run the Laminate floor all through there and have the open space. Then build a tv stand that is the length of the current table and bring the height up to the bottom of the window. Loosing the 2 draws of storage is not a problem since I can build the cabinet with storage under it. I think I will tile the top of it and then maybe in the future move that same tile through the camper on the counter top in the kitchen area and on the TV/Elec box in the sleeping area.

Does anyone see any complications that I may run into with removing the table and booth seating? I know I will have to relocate the gas sensor but that should not be to bad. But I would like to hear anything anyone has to say.

thanks.

Bobby

Old 07-07-2013, 07:31 PM   #2

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi Bobby,

The only comment I can think of is to try and save the table and booth as intact as you can. If there are screws into the booth from the walls, outside in are many of the screws, you might have to get creative on how to cut those screws to not tear a hole in the wall. A thought, never did this yet only a thought, is to use one of the new high speed vibrating tools with a thin metal cut off blade on it. Sneak it in between the booth and wall favoring the booth and snip off the screws.

Reason for trying to keep the booth able to use again some day is if you go to sell the camper the next owner may want it.

Good luck and post pics. We like to see these things

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 12:48 PM   #3

SUN #5360
So I got started on this remodel today. The dinette is gone. Took about an hour and a whole drill battery but it is gone with minimal scaring...nothing a little dap will not take care of. Also removed that cloth like divider that is by the rear door that allowed the camper to be divided. Already looking a lot better with a lot more room.

Picked up the new flooring yesterday. 8mm Pergo Dark Oak...got a good deal on it at $0.59 per square foot. Already has the padding on the back of it.

Old 07-09-2013, 12:53 PM   #4

SUN #5360
Hopefully the weather will hold up and tomorrow all the carpet will be coming out of the back of the camper in the queen bed area. I think I am going to rebuild the entire bottom of the bed so that a queen pillow top fits right on the top without having all the over hang of the mattress. Right now it feels like your feet are going down hill and turns a high dollar mattress into a uncomfortable sleep.

Going to be fun.

I figure its mine and I might as well make it fit me.

Loving it right now.
Old 07-09-2013, 03:24 PM   #5

SUN #128
Tweety
Cool! Keep the pictures coming. This is going to be fun to watch. the Mohler's book "Guide to Full Time RVing" has a section where they show a mod just like this. They took out their dinette and replaced it with stock bathroom vanities. I believe they topped those off like an eating bar so you could sit there to eat.
2012 Arctic Fox 30U, SUNLINES - 2006 2753 "Tweety", 2007 QUE "QUEtSE", 2364, 1660
Tweety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:23 PM   #6

SUN #5360
thanks for the encouragement. I am not so worried about an eating area in the camper. I am going to build storage cabinets on the sides of the window and then connect them with a bench style storage compartment under the window. I am going to tile all of the counter top after it is built. Going to buy enough of the tile to eventually redo the counter top in the kitchen area along with the TV stand in the queen bed area. Trying to figure out what I want to do with the TV area.

I am going to reuse the draw fronts out of the booth seating to make doors to fit the old TV storage compartment. Was designed for a tube style TV and I am going to upgrade it all to a Flat screen/DVD combo. THe use that area for more storage.

Its all going to take me a bit with trying to get it done while working and being a dad to my baby girl when I have her on the weekend.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:24 PM   #7

SUN #5245
Anita1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Great pics! Can't wait to see more and see what you are doing to the camper. This should be fun.

One thought: With tile you have grout, grout doesn't flex and a camper is all about flexing as it goes down the road. Won't the grout crack?
Old 07-10-2013, 03:46 PM   #8

SUN #5360
So I went and started to work on pulling the carpet out of the bed area today after work and what happens? Well the sky opened up and a monsoon was upon us. So I just shut the door and went to the house.

Here is a pic of what I am talking about with the mattress hanging over and the feeling of laying down hill. Plus you can see that horrible pinkish carpet that KI am going to be pulling out...

Going to disconnect the bedframe from the cabinetry and scoot it down add wood to the upper part of it by the cabinetry and trim out with excess veneer recovered from the dismantling of the dinette booths so that it all matches. will have to move it about 8 inches and going to install shocks on it to help hold it up when accessing the storage area.

Old 07-10-2013, 08:46 PM   #9

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
It "looks" like you have a standard mattress. Campers often use "camper queen" or "RV Queen" They are shorter by about what is hanging off your frame.

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:06 PM   #10

SUN #93
Poppy & Nana is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
It "looks" like you have a standard mattress. Campers often use "camper queen" or "RV Queen" They are shorter by about what is hanging off your frame.

I was thinking the same thing
We loved our 2007 T-2499
2010 Ford F-350 4x4 Lariat Super Crew Dually Diesel
Poppy & Nana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 04:18 AM   #11

SUN #5360
you would both be correct that is a standard queen mattress. When I bought the camper it did not have a mattress in it. So I went looking for a mattress and found a few camper queens. But they were not as comfortable as what I was looking for. I was getting ready to buy a bigger bed for my home bedroom so I took the queen mattress and put it in the camper.

I am a veteran of the united states Air Force with 12 years of active duty military service under my belt including enough trips to Iraq and Afghanistan to possibly own property their. I have had 5 knee surgeries and 9 back procedures done. If I don't have a mattress that is comfy then I am in misery. Have thought about upgrading the camper to one of those sleep number beds. but dang those price tags.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:19 AM   #12

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
You're right about camper mattresses, they are awful. Hard. Many of us put one of those memory foam toppers on it to make it tolerable. The RV industry rarely goes for luxury when it comes to mattresses.

Thank you for your service!
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 03:20 PM   #13

SUN #93
SunlineKy - this is a little off topic BUT:

Thank you for serving in the Air Force, allowing us at home to have the freedom to do what it is we like to do!
We loved our 2007 T-2499
2010 Ford F-350 4x4 Lariat Super Crew Dually Diesel
Poppy & Nana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 04:10 PM   #14

SUN #5360
So it was back to work on my project today....

Today was carpet day. Tore out all that ugly pinkish carpet from the bedroom area of the camper and what do I wonder upon. Yet another soft spot in the floor. Yes it is right in front and under the tv stand/electrical control panel. So that will have to be fixed with new 1/2 inch plywood. out with the pressed wood and in with the plywood.

So today I also started taking out the screws that hold the bed frame in, then the drill battery went dead. So I sit there and looked at it, then I realized that I was making extra work for myself. I have had a change of plans when it come to lengthening the bed frame. Going to leave the bed frame in the original position. Going to disconnect the hinges for the lifting storage compartment. Add in a 8 inch wide of plywood and then reattach the hinges to the new plywood. This scoots the platform forward 8 inches and a total of 16 inches of overhang.

I know what your saying. The pressed wood will break if someone sits on the end of the bed.

<<<<<<<<<<LIGHT BULB>>>>>>>>

Storage is the name of the game. I am going to take some 2x4's and build legs on the extended part. 3 legs as a matter of fact. But then I am going to route out some 1X1 pine to create basket rails. 2 wire baskets under there for storage of towels and such.

Open to ideas, lets hear it.
Old 07-13-2013, 07:49 PM   #15

SUN #4050
Wannabes is an unknown quantity at this point
We echo Kathy & Leo's sentiments: THANK YOU for your service to our country!

Matthew and Lisa
TT: '02 T-2363;
TV: 2012 Ford F-150, 4x4/Off-road, 5.0L V8, "Big Gray"
Reese Straitline w/ dual cam
Wannabes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:38 PM   #16

SUN #5360
just want to say thanks for all the thank you. It was my pleasure and I would do every minute of it over again even if I don't agree with the direction our beloved country is headed in.
Old 07-15-2013, 07:45 PM   #17

SUN #5360
So today after work I was able to get back to work on my space and flooring project. So went ahead and finished up the bed frame. I extended the top of the bed frame by an extra 8 inches of material. You can see from the before picture that it really needed it in order to hold the regular queen mattress up evenly all the way to end of the mattress.

This is the after picture with the 8 inches of plywood added in.

Going to build some of those new college kid type cloth basket holders underneath the end of the bed to take the pressure the pressed wood that is over hanging the original bed frame. Plus the name of the game is storage and that will give us more easily accessed storage and use up wasted space.

Any thoughts.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:58 PM   #18

SUN #5245
Anita1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Did you post the picture????
Old 07-15-2013, 09:08 PM   #19

SUN #93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anita1 View Post
Did you post the picture????
I see the before and after pics.......